BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/26/2005 1:41:48 PM EDT

Never owned a Mini 14. Do they suck?
Are they sweet?
Anything I should know about?
Amazingly, I have not even considered one until now, been into guns since '83!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#1]
They kinda SUCK.

Why an AR-15?

By Forest Platt

"Ok so American support is important, then why not select a Ruger Mini-14? It’s got the same effective 5.56mm caliber, its lightweight and about half the price!"

First reason is the availability of spare parts. I can get any part I want for an AR at any time. The factory must fit many of the Mini-14 parts and they will not sell them to you for your installation or spares (important parts like extractors, firing pins, and barrels fit into this category). The Mini is also notoriously inaccurate (did you ever see one win a competition - practical or KD?), and the sights are poor when compared with the AR-15s (even the A1 style sights are better than the Ruger’s). The Mini’s ergonomics are not as good as the AR’s, especially when changing the magazine. Speaking of magazines, try to find some good hi-capacity magazines for a Mini-14 (only good ones are Ruger & PMI). They run two to four times the cost of a USGI AR-15 magazine. Even decent 10 round magazines can’t be found (you are left with factory 5 round magazines). By the time you bought a rifle and 10 hi-cap magazines you could have bought a Bushmaster AR-15, 10 USGI magazines, and between 500 to 1000 rounds. Also, with the AR you can change calibers and select the rifle twist of your choice for 5.56; Mini-14s have different twist rates depending on when they were produced (older Mini-14s cannot shoot the 62gr M855 round for example). Besides the lack of cost effectiveness of the Mini-14s, it’s accuracy problems, and non-availability of parts; this was the company that supported the ban on high capacity magazines to the public - enough said.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
raf - thank you for a thoughtful, reasonable response.

One thing I notice about your post - virtually everything is "the Mini can be fixed".   The obvious response would be why not get an AR, which doesn't have to be fixed?

One thing Forest really missed on - Optics and customization.

What are your options for mounting optics?  Lights?  VFG?  etc?    Obviously the AR is one of the most customizable platforms available.

What's your feeling regarding the Mini on this?

My one experience with a Mini was trying to use Q3131A in it = JAM-O-Matic.   Ran fine on Wolf or other ammo, wouldn't eat M193 if it's life depended on it.

Actually, the Mini's ergonomics are good, and particularly so for the left-handed shooter. For an AR to be equally ambidextrous, or as lefty-friendly, you've got to spend some $.

ambidextrous?   The charging handle is on the RIGHT, and only on the right.   How do you change that?

Ejection is to the right.

I can buy a lefty AR-15 if I want for no additional charge........
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A mini with factory mags will go bang every time you pull the trigger.

Typical group sizes at 100 yards are 4-9 inches depending on ammo quality.

And yes, I own a mini.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

in my limited experience, NOT with M193 ammo.   "Bang, JAM"
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I like MINI 14's.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a Mini-30 and I loved it! I totally regret selling it. I always wanted a mini-14 to go with it. Just a side note I'm starting to see a lot of factory 20rd mags locally for $30-$40 each on average. Thats not to bad....

-John
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Personally, I don't find the ergometrics of any straight stocked rifle very friendly.

That's for ME.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
The factory mags are expensive even now after the ban.  The weapon platform has limited accesories and is far less accurate than an AR.  I own one only because Mrs. Defender saw the wood stock and said, gee that looks pretty.  I was trying to get her into our hobby so I bought the Mini-14 SS Ranch Rifle.  Did I mention it's a pain in the A to clean?  It is!

Regards,
Gary
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:28:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Did I mention it's a pain in the A to clean?  It is!

Regards,
Gary

Get one of the compressed air kits to blow wads down the barrel - much easier

Otis works pretty well too  (all based on Garand cleaning)
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Did you ever remove the bolt from the rifle......Ugh    That's the painful part.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
They don't live up to their "Garand M-1 - M-14" heritage.  Ruger changed too many small details and skimped on a few other things that they shouldn't have.  #1 problem is the light barrel.  IIRC Ruger changed the mini-14 for this model year and dropped the standard model and went with a new modified ranch rifle, so no more Garand style sights, even though they upgraded the ranch rifles sights.   IMO Ruger has always tried to emulate the M1 carbine with many of they SA models, but never come out and copy it, I wish they'd come out with a copy or stop trying.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Mini-14s are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I like em

They always go bang, and have never had a problem even with cheap mags.  I don't have any factory mags but am looking to get some.

With iron sites at 100 yards, it gets about 5" groups, when resting on a sandbag.  I think it would shoot better, but my eyesite is not too good.

For a good Bug Out gun, I think a mini with a folding stock would be perfect.  Also, fun for just shooting/plinking, it digests every type of 223 ammo.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Mini14 and like it for the most part. I also own a Colt 6920 which is my favorite and is the best. The Mini I have has a folding stock on it and has never failed me. I've got factory 20rd mags and a few after market 30s and they are all reliable. My main complaint about the Mini is the poor sights. I consider it a good weapon that will go bang when you need it to.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had my factory folder A-Team look alike for over twenty years and it still shoots like an infantryman on final protective fire.  The fact that it is stainless steel vesus forged aluminum (recylcled soda cans) means it is not so fragile as an AR.  What you do not here on this site often is the no holds barred use of the AR in the Army.  Broken uppers and lowers are more common than you might think as I have seen quite a few of each.  Although the M4 now rivals the mini 14 length, the completely folding stock is a never going to happen reasonably for an AR because of the buffer tube.  My Mini on the other hand as trucked tucked in compartments in my wifes mini van and in my pack hiking in New England.  I would not disparage the AR one iota so I wonder why folks tear at the mini the way they do.  I think anyone who tries one will like it just on the fun part.  This is just MHO but if you can afford it buy one of each and you will enjoy them both.  if your budget is tight you might consider building your AR as they are much more facile in this respect.  I hope you enjoy shooting whatever your decision.

The Army owns the night
God bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
The mini-14 is a decent rifle,just depends on what you want it for.If you want a tack driver,shell out the money for an ar.If you want something for self defense,plinking or a bang around rifle,get a mini.I owned two,one blued one stainless,both were pretty accurate with my handloads.There are a lot of easy tweeks out there I wasnt aware of when I owned mine.Now with the AWB sunsetting,there are some decent quality highcaps available at a reasonable price.About the biggest shortcoming for the mini as compared to an ar is ability to mount optics.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:07:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:10:06 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll chime in as F4YR has posted my comments made several years ago.

Ergonomics:  ANY rifle that requires your finger to go INTO the trigger guard to take the saftey off is severly lacking, and frankly irresponsible.

Sights: Yes the new sights are an improvement over the older ones, but they are still not up to AR-15 quality.  F4YR brought up a good point on optics & lights; while not impossible your options are very limited.

Durabilty:  I suggest those of you who think they would make great 'SHTF' guns because they are so 'durable' go ask the instructors at Gunsite and other facilities how well they do on the 3-5 day courses.  Mini-14s were meant for light 'ranch' duty - in that regard they work fine, but when pushed hard for long periods of time they break down.  As a group they just are not built for that kind of wear and tear.

Honestly for the kind of $$ Ruger asks for the Mini you'd be better off with a SU-16.  At least it can take optics from the get-go, uses widely availalbe magazines, and can fold for compact storage.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#20]
This question comes up every week, and the same answers are posted.  So I won't give my long piece defending the Mini-14.  I have 2 and I love them, my buddy has two and he loves them.  All of ours are nearly as reliable as my AKs and AR.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My one experience with a Mini was trying to use Q3131A in it = JAM-O-Matic.   Ran fine on Wolf or other ammo, wouldn't eat M193 if it's life depended on it.

That odd, as I've run that through my Mini with no probs.  In such cases, my first suspicions fall on the mag(s), and/or their lockup to the Mini.

I don't think so - other ammo ran fine.  Owner has never had a problem with the mags

I believe it was just the pressure curve of the ammo

Could have been Georgia Arms canned heat or South African M193.   Actually, probably likely it was
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 1:25:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Used a mini on large feral pigs in australian bush for years.  Mini goes "BANG" every time. Loved my mini until I had to hand it back in after the Port Arthur massacre in Tasmania. Now we aussies are not allowed semi-auto firearms. Had a Federal Government firearms buyback...Not as severe as in Britian, but very severe.

To have a firearm, you must be a member of a shooting club or a farmer.  No semi-autos, no pistols over 0.38 cal (colt supers have made a big come back),  no pump shotties, lever actions, bolt action and pump rifles are OK.

SIGH!!

Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#23]
May GOD have Mercy on any one trying that in America, I have sworn to protect the Constitution against all enemies both foreign and domestic.  Anyone who would try to take away the 2nd ammendment would be in danger of a true grass roots rebellion that would be legal because it would be based in defending the US Constitution just like ever soldier has sworn to do.

The Army owns the Night
GOD Bless America
Very Respectfully,
David
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I own a Mini-14, I also own 3 AR15 type rifles. I enjoy shooting the Ruger, mine always works with no problems. I use good magazines like Ruger factory mags or PMI's, never any problems.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a mini, I had akways wanted one after watching the A-team when I was a kid.  I got the stainless ranch rifle.  Bought some Russian white box to shoot through it did all right for about 100 rnds.  Then it ran a muck when ever I would pull the trigger it would not go boom.  Took it to the store I bought it from the smith looked it over and he found out the firing pin was pushing through the primer.  He showed me about 10 minature washers that were stuch where the firing pin came out.  So I up graded to Q3131A and S&B.  Put a compact Leupols 3x9 on it and could never under stand why at even 50 yrds I could not get tighter than a 3-4" group.  I'm glad I sold it and bought a colt.  But at the time I bought my Ruger I could not aford a AR.  For a cheap semi auto they are alright just don't exepct to much out of it.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#26]
My very first rifle not too accurate, very picky with ammo, but I will pass it on to my son....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I've seen raf's Mini and I've seen him shoot it. His words are NOT hollow. That gun can shoot (as can he), and quite well.

I had a Mini back in the 1980's. It was reliable, had a great trigger, and at the time mags were relatively cheap and available (remember FedORd?). Anyway, I didn't find it as accurate as an AR, and as a soldier I was more comfortable with the AR. I had a Chaote "E2" stock on it, which I really liked.  

If all I had was a Mini I wouldn't feel as if I was outclassed by a guy with an AR, although I, personally, prefer the AR. Raf, using his Mini, handed me my ass last time!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 4:12:09 AM EDT
[#28]
A mini is not an AR, but it is an ok .223 carbine - mine shoots 3-4 moa and is reliable with factory mags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#29]
in my limited experience, NOT with M193 ammo. "Bang, JAM"

I owned at one time five Mini-14's, currently just two Stainless Ranch Rifles.  I have nearly 25 yrs experience with the Mini-14's, if that counts for anything, from the 181 and 183 series on up.

Not doubting you, but there is a problem there.  This is not inherent in the Mini-14.  I do know that some of the late Mini's have the mag catch specs off, and older hicaps do not feed reliably.  There is a guy in Oregon that welds on more metal and fixes that if this is the case.

I have fired many thousands of rounds of SA, Fed, Win, Rem, IMI, and other M193 and M855 through Mini-14's without a hiccup.

The very early Mini's had 1x10 twist, which easily stabilized 55 gr.  Later the twist was changed to 1x7, and that takes care of M855.

Factory Hi-caps are nearly impossible to find, and when you do you pay exhorbitant prices for them.

My Ranch Rifles shoot 1.5-2 moa also.  

The factory wood is terrible and the source of much inaccuracy.  Replace the wood with a good tight fitting synthetic such as the Choate folder, Choate E2 Pistol Grip stock, or Butler Creek.  This change alone will cut groups size in half.

Cleaning is not only not a problem, but easier than with an AR-15.  And the Mini-14 will function reliably with far less cleaning than an AR-15.  It will function 100% with no lubrication, though it would wear faster, naturally.  The stainless versions, with synthetic stock, could literally be dunked in seawater with no fear of corrosion.

Safety in the trigger guard?  That is exactly how the Garand and M14 were designed.  No one ever complained about this "safety hazard" with those two great rifles.

Obtaining certain spare parts is still a problem, the rifle has to be sent to the factory.

The thin barrel drifts when firing long strings and the rifle heats up.  Ruger refuses to come out with a heavy barrel version, though that would be easy and popular, and fix many of the complaints.

Good hi cap mags are getting easier to obtain.

For what you spend on getting a Mini-14 up to reasonable standards you could buy a nice AR-15 and a bag full of USGI mags.

And NO, you cannot, no way, not ever, never modify a USGI M16 mag to fit and work in a Mini-14.  They could and should have designed the Mini-14 to use USGI mags, but then Ruger would be encouraging cops and those black rifle gun nut survivalist types to buy them.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Cleaning is not only not a problem, but easier than with an AR-15.

Really?  Tear down of a Mini isn't nearly as quick or easy as an AR, just pull the bolt carrier and shotgun the AR and you can run cleaning rods down the bore much quicker and eaiser.  Not to mention cleaning the champer.  

And the Mini-14 will function reliably with far less cleaning than an AR-15.

[Cough] Bullshit[cough]  The AR is a proven military design with a 40 year in service history.  The mini is used by a handful of police agencies and the French Genardime.  Again talk to the trainers who see 1000s of rifles a year as to which will run longer...

Safety in the trigger guard?  That is exactly how the Garand and M14 were designed.  No one ever complained about this "safety hazard" with those two great rifles.

Hey what might have been 'cool' in 1930 doesn't mean it shitty - especially given what we know about firearms safety.  Just because they did it that way 75 years ago doesn't mean it was right.  And plenty of people have complained about it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 6:58:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Really? Tear down of a Mini isn't nearly as quick or easy as an AR, just pull the bolt carrier and shotgun the AR and you can run cleaning rods down the bore much quicker and eaiser. Not to mention cleaning the champer.

The bore is the least important part of cleaning the AR-15 or any other semiauto rifle.  The chamber is.  And on the AR-15, the bolt and bolt carrier takes as much time as all the rest of the rifle.

The Mini gets very little grime around the bolt.  It is not necessary to remove the bolt (which means pulling the trigger group, removing the stock, operating rod, etc.) for cleaning after each shooting session.  Just the bore and chamber.

One place where the AR-15 has a big advantage is that you clean the bore from the chamber end.  With the Mini you must clean the bore from the muzzle end, and that puts wear on the lands at that critical point.

Again talk to the trainers who see 1000s of rifles a year as to which will run longer...

I agree that the AR-15 is the more rugged rifle.  It just takes more cleaning than the Mini to function.

Overall, I prefer the AR-15, but I don't think the Mini-14 is as bad as many make it out to be.  

The mini is used by ... the French Genardime.

THAT right there should sway anyone away from the Mini and over to the AR-15!!!

What gets to me about the Mini-14, there are several things that could be done with little added cost that would make it a far more desirable rifle:

Go on and equip it with a synthetic stock... Ruger does this with other rifles in their line.

Put a heavier barrel on it.  This is easy, you just don't have to turn so much off the barrel.

Put better sights on it.

Modify it to use USGI M16 mags.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:29:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, I have owned 4 AR15's and 2 Mini-14's and have put thousands of rounds through each...here's my $.02.

*Yes, Mini mags are still more expensive even after the ban...but they've come down a lot and are tougher mags than AR15 mags, so at present prices they are worth the difference.  

*Maybe it's possible to trick out a Mini to get accuracy that will compete with a good AR...but I haven't seen that Mini yet.  Anything's possible.

*Both rifles have good ergonomics.  Both rifles are reliable...but if I were trusting one rifle over the other to go "bang"...edge goes to the Mini if you are using a good mag.

*It's tough to break a part on a Mini...I have never needed a part yet, nor have any of my friends.  And we don't own "safe queens".  I wouldn't get too wrapped up on the spare parts issue.

Even though I use a Bushmaster now, I'm considering finding room on the arsenal for a Mini...it is a great "fun gun"!

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#34]
BTW, do you have any pix of the French Gendarmes using the Mini in the line of duty?

Actually, I have seen them... on TV news.  It was after a terrorist incident in Paris, a bombing I think.  And the French actually had the full auto version of the Mini (AC556) in std wood stocks with hicap mags.  I suppose they thought the Minis looked less threatening than M16's or FAL's.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:04:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Bill Ruger was one of the first people to recommend a high capacity magazine ban to congress.  I do not appreciate that at all.  He personally felt that there was no need for civilians to own high capacity magazines.  Granted he did this to attempt to prevent a weapons ban.  Interestingly, Ruger Mini-14s were NOT on the Clinton 1994 Crime Control Bill.

I love my Mini-14.  It is not in the same class as an AR 15.  It is a plinker, varmit and home protection short range carbine.  Because of Bill Ruger's cave in to the antis, I will never purchase ANY Ruger product.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#36]
Bill Ruger died several years ago.  I have several of Joe Stalin's guns.  There's a villian for you.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Bill Ruger was one of the first people to recommend a high capacity magazine ban to congress.  I do not appreciate that at all.  He personally felt that there was no need for civilians to own high capacity magazines.  Granted he did this to attempt to prevent a weapons ban.  Interestingly, Ruger Mini-14s were NOT on the Clinton 1994 Crime Control Bill.

I love my Mini-14.  It is not in the same class as an AR 15.  It is a plinker, varmit and home protection short range carbine.  Because of Bill Ruger's cave in to the antis, I will never purchase ANY Ruger product.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:59:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Bill Ruger died several years ago.  I have several of Joe Stalin's guns.  There's villian for you.<G>

Joseph Stalin was not an American Citizen.  Stalin did not have a 2nd Amendment.  
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:47:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I've had three mini-14's over the years.  I still have two.  They are a simple and decent gun, they work (I found out early about mags) and they are fairly inexpensive.  They don't have that angry black rifle look, so they attract less attention from sheep.  If the mini was all I had, I wouldn't break down and cry.

They are, however, entirely outclassed by AR's in just about every measure.  Accuracy, durability, reliability.  Part and accessory availibility go to the AR.  I have three AR's, and the mini's are relegated to the back of the gun safe.

That's the way it is...for me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#40]
I loved all the mini's I've owned.

Although Triple K mags really do suck.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#41]
If you do decide to get one dont put a cheap folding stock or cheap accesories on it, it just seems like putting make up on a crackwhore.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I've had three mini-14's over the years.  I still have two.  They are a simple and decent gun, they work (I found out early about mags) and they are fairly inexpensive.  They don't have that angry black rifle look, so they attract less attention from sheep.  If the mini was all I had, I wouldn't break down and cry.

They are, however, entirely outclassed by AR's in just about every measure.  Accuracy, durability, reliability.  Part and accessory availibility go to the AR.  I have three AR's, and the mini's are relegated to the back of the gun safe.

That's the way it is...for me.

I had one Mini-14 and still have a Mini-30 buried in the safe.  I agree with everything said here especially that the Mini is outclassed by the AR.  In fact I would call it majorly outclassed.  

My Mini-30 hates Wolf and Silver Bear ammo.  That's one of the reasons I bought the Mini-30 so that I could shoot cheap Russian ammo in it.  My $100.00 SKS sees more action than the Mini, is more reliable with Russian ammo, and is just as accurate if not more accurate.

I bought my Mini-14 because I couldn't justify spending the $$$ for an AR15.  After owning it and a Mini-30 for a while I went out and bought the AR15 I wanted because the Mini's needed tweaking the AR didn't.  Out of the box the AR was more accurate, more reliable, and in the long run more fun.  

While the Mini can be used effectively I would rather have an AR15.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I love my mini and am getting into accessorizing =)

Actually I can shoot better with iron sites with it than with my AR, at 100 yards it shoots about 6" wide pattern but that is not on sandbags or a rest, but on my shoulder.  

I have had no reliability problems and I am using cheapo USA mag Magazines, although I am looking for some 20rd factory mags now that the ban is up.

I have shot all kinds of ammo in mine, cheap and expensive, it takes it all.

Not as cool looking as an AR, but nice and reliable.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a Mini-14 that's a police trade-in that I got a few years ago.  It's a 181-series and is utterly dependable with anything I feed it -- South African 5.56mm, XM-193, and even Wolf .223 55 grain JHP.  The key to Mini-14 reliability is to use good magazines.

During the AWB good mags were hard to get, but even OEM mags are available now if you spend a little time with Google or at a gun show.  Yes, they are more expensive than AR-15 mags, but let's not forget that one of the reasons AR-15 mags are cheap is that they are used by the US military and NATO, i.e., economies of scale.  And IMHO, Mini-14 mags are better built -- more robust -- than AR-15 mags.  As a civvie who has to pay for his mags, this is important to me.

I will respectfully disagree with Forest WRT to the safety issue.  One's finger doesn't belong in the trigger guard until ready to fire, so I see that factor as moot.  Personally, I haven't seen anyone else complain about it.

FWIW, I own a Mini-14, Colt AR6721, Arsenal AK, Underwood M1 Carbine, CAI G3 clone, and CAI R1A1 FAL.  So, I have a variety of semiauto rifles to compare.  I would feel well armed with any of these (except the FAL, but only because I haven't shot it yet).

Link Posted: 10/25/2005 1:25:51 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Typical group sizes at 100 yards are 4-9 inches depending on ammo quality.

And yes, I own a mini.

4-9 inches? My AKM with a bent barrel shoots five inches.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#47]
I own both.  I bought the mini years ago when funds were short and I couldn't afford an AR.  The mini is a lot of fun and I love the stainless finish because I don't have to worry so much about rust.  I'll never sell it.  It never jams with factory mags (now available for approx. $35 at eaglefirearms.com or calssportingarmory.com) regardless of the type of ammo.  
That being said, however, the AR-15 is a much better weapon whether used for target or self-defense purposes.  The AR is more accurate, the sights are far better, and the magazines lock in much more easily (and positively).  My biggest gripe about the mini is how the mags lock into the receiver - it's difficult to insert a magazine as quickly and easily as an AR.  If I could pick only one, I'd pick the AR (and save my money until I could afford one).  But, in true arfcom tradition, I say "get both."  
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Ruger's been dead for years.  Maybe it's time to move on...

Has Ruger started making civilian full capacity mags for the Mini 14 and Mini 30?
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:14:14 PM EDT
[#49]
My mini-14 ranch sucked pretty bad, after the barrel heated up... minute of trashcan lid if you were lucky.  

The mini made my Wasr-10 seem precise
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Buy one, better yet buy 2.  

They are probably more accurate than most people can shoot them, not shooting off a bench of course.

I have one and shot others and had not a problem.  They are accurate enough, about like an good AK or alittle better.  I use cheap and expensive ammo and it eats it all, even wolf.

I think a Mini with a ButlerCreek folding stock ($120) , and a Ultimak Scout mount ($120) with an EO tech on top would be a good truck gun =)  Hehehe, for that price I could get an nice AR though.  I like my mini enough to do it though.

Also, I've never seen a folding stock on a AR, b/c of the recoil spring.  But you could put one on a mini and have a semi-compact rifle with hicap mags that shoots 5.56 that is pretty robust and goes bang everytime with decent accuracy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top