Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2004 8:51:35 AM EDT
Since seeing a picture of a two stage over on the EE, I've been puzzled as to how they work.  The picture looks like you would pull the trigger then release it to fire.  I don't think this is how it works though.  Someone explain please!  Can you put it in terms of:

Pull trigger 1/4" at 4 lbs then pull trigger 1/32" at 1 lb

And how do you know when you're past the first stage?  Can you pull through it fast just like a regular trigger?

Edumacate me!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 11:36:47 AM EDT
[#1]
For a 2-stage trigger you take up the slack (1/4 inch @ 4 lbs), then continue to pull through the second stage (1/32 inch @ +1lb). You can feel when you reach the end of the 1st stage. This gives you the ability to pause, correct your breathing and sight picture before pulling that extra 1lb to fire the rifle.

A comparable single stage trigger does not have any slack to take up (1/8 inch @ 5lbs for example).
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:21:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I see, thanks.  It seems that it would not be practical for my calling rifle then, as it's not uncommon for me to be shooting at a moving coyote and a 1/4" pull would suck.

Thanks!
Jim
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
It's easier to use than explain.  Sort of like a picture is equal to a thousand words.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I see, thanks.  It seems that it would not be practical for my calling rifle then, as it's not uncommon for me to be shooting at a moving coyote and a 1/4" pull would suck.

Thanks!
Jim

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:56:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I just received my first AR since turning in my M16A2 back to the Corps.  It's a RRA and is supposed to have a NM 2 stage trigger.  Being my first 2 stage I don't have anything to compare it with.  However, mine does not seem to work as some of you described above.  Maybe some of you could help me out a little.

Mine has approx. 1/4" of creep that requires no effort then takes about 4 pounds to break.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thanks!
Jim

I have one on 3 calling rifles and once you get used to it you won't go back to a single stage. Give it a try!
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Uh excuse me, but what's a calling rifle?

-YJ

"It's only ignorance until you've seen the truth."
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

-YJ

I think they're refering to a rifle they use while "calling" in coyote's.  Not sure, though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The "creep" is the first stage.

I need one of those trigger pull gages.<G>

I've not experienced an RRA trigger.  

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I just received my first AR since turning in my M16A2 back to the Corps.  It's a RRA and is supposed to have a NM 2 stage trigger.  Being my first 2 stage I don't have anything to compare it with.  However, mine does not seem to work as some of you described above.  Maybe some of you could help me out a little.

Mine has approx. 1/4" of creep that requires no effort then takes about 4 pounds to break.  Am I missing something?

Link Posted: 9/2/2004 3:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-YJ

I think they're refering to a rifle they use while "calling" in coyote's.  Not sure, though.

Yeah, JimTh is a coyote slayer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, ya made me do it!!  This is a calling rifle:

Link Posted: 9/3/2004 5:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice rifle.  From the pic it looks like you shoot him in the ass.  

DJ - Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Technically, the first shot that struck him hit him in the left hind leg, up high.  It was about an inch left of his brown eye.  Ya see, I expected critters to show up on my left, he showed up on my right.  He made me at about the same time I saw him.  He took off at a trot, quartering away and going up a slight rise.  I shot at him three times before he disappeared over the small rise.  One of them hit him and he stopped about 20 yards later.  I was then able to finish the job.

Oops, I think I hijacked my own post.  Hmm let's see:
Ya, so, as you can see, a two stage might not be the best thing for me.

Quoted:
Nice rifle.  From the pic it looks like you shoot him in the ass.  

DJ - Thanks for the info.

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I have one on 3 calling rifles and once you get used to it you won't go back to a single stage. Give it a try!

+1 on that!  I've got three Steyr Scout rifles and here's how it works.  The first stage is exactly 11 oz.  Its smooth and is so light that its essentially just getting my finger into position for the actual let-off.  The second stage breaks at 38 oz and feels like a thin glass rod.  The first stage gives you the option of continuing a smooth pull or letting off if the target disappears.

I have shot a deer on a dead run with it.  Distance was paced at 104 yards and he was in full stride.  It was the perfect snap shot and the two stage trigger was no detriment.  In fact, at Gunsite, they actually shoot trap at the end of the general rifle class and the best scores are almost always with the Steyr rifle and scout scope.  

Seriously... with a good quality 2 stage, you'll never go back.  Not all 2 stages are built the same though.  I have an Armalite "match" trigger in my varmiter AR and its gritty and spongy.  The second stage is not as crisp as it should be.  Stage one seems to "mush" into stage 2.  Its OK, but nothing like the Steyr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top