Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2010 6:39:17 PM EDT
Im building my first AR15 and I want FDE furniture and mags but I cannot afford to buy furniture already made FDE so I want to paint them myself.

Would it be a bad idea to paint a mid-length handguard, grip, m4 stock and pmags with krylon?

If I do that, is there anything I should know? Where to paint, where not to?

What kind of krylon works best for a job like this?

Any tips?

Thanks,
Coby.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:01:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im building my first AR15 and I want FDE furniture and mags but I cannot afford to buy furniture already made FDE so I want to paint them myself.

Would it be a bad idea to paint a mid-length handguard, grip, m4 stock and pmags with krylon?

If I do that, is there anything I should know? Where to paint, where not to?

What kind of krylon works best for a job like this?

Any tips?

Thanks,
Coby.

I don't think there is FDE 'rattle can' paint yet. Maybe FDE Duracoat. (IIRC there is some form of Duracoat that comes in a spray can. It might be a 'temporary' paint like Krylon though)

If you just want to do Krylon their "khaki" tan might be close(will be a little lighter). I would look for the 'Krylon Fusion Ultra-Flat Camouflage' line. It bonds well with plastic. I would just take apart the handguard from the heat shield. Degrease with rubbing alcohol and let dry. Paint in light coats until it it is even and let dry. I usually paint things in the summer here when it is around 100+F and just let them "bake" in the sun for a few hours. Do the same for the rest.

Krylon will get 'dings' and does come off when using some types of cleaners. But I like the look they get after a while of getting dinged up and some paint chipped off.

The can will look like this. Wal-Mart has them IIRC and True-Value.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#2]
oops, was looking at another site about FDE painting and a couple people posted that AERVOE's camo paint line has a color called "Field Drab" that is supposed to match FDE pretty well. I used their tan before and it was not as durable as the Krylon Fusion line.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=663/pid=126/sku/Camo_Paint__Field_Drab

Thread if you want to see it.
FDE spray paint
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! That looks pretty good to me. And I agree, some wear in it will look pretty cool.
Id doesn't need to be permanent really, just as long as it will last a few months until I can buy some Magpul furniture.  

BTW, your picture is crazy scary!
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#4]
also check out the last few pages of the refinishing picture thread.  There are ways to dye plastics as opposed to just coating them.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 9:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
also check out the last few pages of the refinishing picture thread.  There are ways to dye plastics as opposed to just coating them.

Oh wow, Id rather do that. Ill do some reading, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Im just going to get the Magpul grip and stock in FDE and then paint the mags and handguard.

Does anyone know of a paint that matches Magpul FDE well?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top