Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2008 6:40:08 PM EDT
Awhile ago I spent a significant amount of time creating these. I have very high quality versions and vectorized patterns but for beginners I'll post them in 6"by 11" at 72 pixels per inch so the majority of people will be able to simply print the .jpg's

They are grey on a plain background (grey to save your black ink) so you can print them onto a masking the size of a piece of paper and cut them out with a razor, then use one of many methods to camoflauge things...

I did a stock using spraypaint last winter:

and although I havent painted anything with the ACU pattern yet, here's a print of it on my jacket to prove the size and shape match:

I trust that nobody will use these for profit (directly), after all I am making them available for free. Please keep these on this site only, I'd like to contribute these to the TEAM AR15.com community and thats it.

**  link to the Patterns in the Archives **

to get the patterns from the Archived thread :: right click :: save as :: on the images.

for those of you who are non-paying members: the link will redirect you to the general topics page...  if you'd like access to the patterns you're going to need to have a team membership

team members are going to be the only people with access, and thats the way I'd like to keep it - what the heck, if you buy stencils somewhere else you'll probably end up paying $24 anyhow, you might as well support the site!

This is what they look like, scaled down of course, the full size versions are available through the link above

Multicam:

ACU:

Edit to add:
The patterns are really not a stencil, they are meant to be printed, cut, and placed as you wish on the surface you're painting...

...the placement is up to you, but the shapes are provided...

here's the steps I took to paint my rifle stock multicam: notice how I placed the pattens wherever I wanted them

Link Posted: 11/12/2008 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you printing them out onto, some sort of full sheet label?
Link Posted: 11/12/2008 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are you printing them out onto, some sort of full sheet label?

My roomate bought a 100yd roll of RLA Application Tape

here's a link to a website that sells it in different width rolls: (I noticed they require a minimum order of $100 on this site, but this is the stuff I'm talking about)

Application Tape

The stuff is made to aid in the application of decals. When you purchase a vinyl decal it comes with a peel off backing, and a semi-transparent white application tape on the front. When applying it you peel the backing off the decal and you can see through the front sheet to align the decal on the surface... after pressing it on you slowly peel the aplication tape from the front of the decal, leaving the vinyl in place.

What I do is stick a sheet of the application tape on a rgular 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper, trim it to fit, then just run it through the printer as if it was a normal piece of paper. The application tape I have at my disposal is only 6.5" wide and thats why the Multicam patterns are sized as such.

Then once the pattern is printed you just take an exacto knife and cut out the shapes... the paper peels off the application tape effortlessly and youre left with a perfect masking for painting a pattern.

the stuff isn't made for masking, but it works pretty darn well...
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 5:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag-O-Rific!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2008 11:43:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2008 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#5]
tagnonymous.

Awesome. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 4:34:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Tag.

And thank you.

Link Posted: 2/12/2009 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I cant find it the link takes me to the team ok but cant find the print out
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I cant find it the link takes me to the team ok but cant find the print out

same.  Please help.
Link Posted: 2/15/2009 10:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Same here.
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#10]
the thread has slipped into the 3 month black hole before it goes into archive... (read the blue text above the link)

if you'd like the patterns, and you're a team member, email me and I'll reply with them attached...
Link Posted: 2/16/2009 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#11]
IM sent in for multicam

Edit :Thanks
Link Posted: 2/26/2009 10:12:49 AM EDT
[#12]
what colors did you use for the multicam ?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm getting a steady 3 or 4 weekly requests for the patterns anyone have any success?

Quoted:
what colors did you use for the multicam ?

I wish I knew, I snapped a picture of the cans I had at the time but it was a spray and go type thing, I just went with what looked right...

Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Re-finish tag.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#15]
IM and email sent.  I'm looking forward to doing this on my 6.8 rifle.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I have my first test subject ready to go but have not found a suitable paper to print the patterns on. but you will be seeing my first attempt soon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I shrunk your stencils slightly and used them on a couple mags to do a Multicam and MARPAT:
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:27:50 PM EDT
[#18]
gotta tag. Nice work, thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Very nice!
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Emailed about the patterns last month with no reply......
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:43:40 AM EDT
[#21]
If someone has a copy of these I'll hots and distribute them since this guy seems to have vanished.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:38:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Quoted:
If someone has a copy of these I'll hots and distribute them since this guy seems to have vanished.

Everyone,

My apologies for not responding to inquerys this last month as quickly as I should,

I just graduated with my BS in Mechanicial Engineering, moved, and I'm now setting up a new computer.

I believe I am all caught up with responses as of this morning, if not please re-email me and I'll make sure to get them to you ASAP

heck I better put it in bold:

if you have emailed me for the patterns and I've failed to respond - my apologies - please email me again and I will make sure you get them!

also, my email is a little different from what it was prevousley, so if anyone has any complications with the attachments please let me know.

Link Posted: 6/5/2009 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I shrunk your stencils slightly and used them on a couple mags to do a Multicam and MARPAT:
http://i324.photobucket.com/albums/k348/un4gvn5150/Rifle/mags.jpg

thats what I like to see!

has anyone else had any success with the patterns? I've sent them out to probably over a hundred people so far...
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:35:49 PM EDT
[#24]
very cool. Tag
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, Got it today!
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 7:07:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone,

My apologies for not responding to inquerys this last month as quickly as I should,

I just graduated with my BS in Mechanicial Engineering, moved, and I'm now setting up a new computer.

I believe I am all caught up with responses as of this morning, if not please re-email me and I'll make sure to get them to you ASAP

heck I better put it in bold:

if you have emailed me for the patterns and I've failed to respond - my apologies - please email me again and I will make sure you get them!

also, my email is a little different from what it was prevousley, so if anyone has any complications with the attachments please let me know.

I emailed for the electronic version, so I could run it on my plotter. I have an 870 and a AR of my own I'd love to do. If I could.

Thanks.

Fellow Cheesehead.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Still waiting.  Maybe an e-mail issue?  Nothing new in my spam folder.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I guess he doesnt like us?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Still waiting.  Maybe an e-mail issue?  Nothing new in my spam folder.

I am not sure how you havent recieved any of them? I've emailed them to you three times.

for awhile I was fearing trouble with my new email but everyone else has had success with the exception of you...

you're special

Quoted:

I am not releasing the vectorized patterns at this time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Not sure what the issue with e-mail was.  I use Yahoo.

Another ARFcomer sent me the patterns so I have them now.

I'll try to help the OP keep up with requests for the pattern.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Still waiting. Maybe an e-mail issue? Nothing new in my spam folder.

I am not sure how you havent recieved any of them? I've emailed them to you three times.

for awhile I was fearing trouble with my new email but everyone else has had success with the exception of you...

you're special

Quoted:

I am not releasing the vectorized patterns at this time.

Thats ok.
Link Posted: 6/25/2009 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 12:39:44 PM EDT
[#33]
well I'm about to embark on painting another trail camera, i'll try some different forms of masking material to see what heppens...

I've literally sent out hundreds of emails with tha patterns attached... and only one person has post pictures of their work

and before you say anything Unique  (i know  i know) - you'll get that CD with the patterns on the 11th at Flames place

hmmmmm

maybe a prize of some sort would inspire a few people to show off their results

i'll think about that while I'm doing this next project...
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you for the patterns!  Hopefully I'll get started on my stock in a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 9:42:24 PM EDT
[#35]
email sent
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:16:36 AM EDT
[#36]
email sent...
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:20:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Tagged and Bagged....
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 9:45:41 AM EDT
[#38]
What is the base coat color that your are starting with?
Link Posted: 7/8/2009 9:11:57 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

well I'm about to embark on painting another trail camera, i'll try some different forms of masking material to see what heppens...
I've literally sent out hundreds of emails with tha patterns attached... and only one person has post pictures of their work

and before you say anything Unique (i know i know) - you'll get that CD with the patterns on the 11th at Flames place

hmmmmm

maybe a prize of some sort would inspire a few people to show off their results

i'll think about that while I'm doing this next project...

Ok, I'll throw away that special sandwhich I made for you....

Link Posted: 7/8/2009 12:42:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
What is the base coat color that your are starting with?

the base coat I like to start with is usually the lightest color.

In both the examples I've posted, the stock and the Trail camera I've begun with Khaki

ETA pictures of the two base coats:

Link Posted: 7/8/2009 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Update: the Archive link is now available for team access to the patterns
to get the patterns from the Archived thread  :: right click :: save as :: on the images.

if you cannot get them for whatever reason email me and I can get them to you.

Link Posted: 7/8/2009 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Tip for the day:

1. print the patterns on paper

2. place blue Masking tape over patterns

3. trace with a fine sharpie

4. cut out with exacto knife

Link Posted: 7/9/2009 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Finished my second trail camera, a combination of the multicam shapes, digital patterns, and some good ole Wisconsin colors...

Link Posted: 7/9/2009 2:36:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Very cool. I got my email thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Okay more information:

first off, two scans of the six spraypaints I used for this pattern: note all are flat or satin, the last camera I did I accidentally threw a gloss brown in the mix and it is really noticeable in the pattern. The automotive primer is the grey I had so I used it.

to begin the painting I masked off the essentials for the camera (lenses, screen, button ect)  I like to use the lightest color for the first coat so the camera got an even coat of the Krylon Pebble

I began the pattern with a few spots of the light color, as you can see I mixed some digital pettern with some of the multicam shapes.

Next I sprayed some light streaks of the Krylon Italian Olive over the base coat. I did not do a solid coat, as there are spots on the camera where the olive is solid, but more importantly the majority of the surface is covered in a fade between the two coats. the fade is what you want to have within your shapes when the paint job is done, take a look at Multicam, one of the reasons it is such an effective pattern is because the colors fade from one another.  

on goes another layer of shapes, a distrubution of blobs and didgital... this was one of the main colors I wanted to be visible in the final product so I placed a good number of shapes over this layer.

the next layer I wanted darker, so i did a blend of the Satin Krylon Green (not sure what the shade is - I'll look into it) and the Ultra Flat Krylon Camouflage Green (yet again i realize the scans did not capture the color information)...

Now onto more shapes, notice now that after a few layers i began to use larger shapes, also they're placed where they will be visible around the previous layers... its like working backwards when its a finished product, the shapes and layers you begin with are the ones that will be "on top" of your pattern.

Since this pattern only utilizes six colors I was almost finished at this point, I wanted to introduce Grey into the pattern which some people might find contriversial. I like to think of Gray as an essential color in a pattern for where I intend this camera to be placed. i'll call ot the "gray squirrel effect" wheras a little gray fading into brown will hide something amongst a leafless tree (think Wisconsin winters here), ever wonder how gray squirrels seem to blend in so well to the bark of a tree?

So to do this I pur a few spatters of grey on the camera, I tried to hit spots where there were no existing stencils as this is tobviously where i'll want to place the last layer... also since my last layer was going to be the Krylon Boots Brown, I faded a little of that into the edges of the gray splotches, figuring it would help fade the gray into the final coat...

next I placed a very few stencils to cover up the gray fade i just sprayed over certain areas... very few I said...

the final coat was to be the Krylon Boots Brown, but as I finished spraying it it looked too reddish to me, so I sprinkled a veery, veeeeery light coat of the Krylon Camouflage Green over it adding a darker bit to it...

now the fun part... after waiting exactly 14.97 minutes of the required 15 minute drying Time I began peeling the stencils off to see the finished product... I use a toothpick since the paint is technically still soft at this point and I find when I use a razor I end up scratching some of the paint off each time...

the face of the camera peeled off...

finished product...

Link Posted: 7/12/2009 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I like it. Looks different.

Thanks for the patterns. I appreciate it.

Let me know an address, I'll send "it" back to you with a bonus.

Nice meeting you Jacob, you seem to be a very decent guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top