Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2014 2:49:49 AM EDT
I'm not seeing the new stuff I was hoping to see, I'm just hoping I'm missing it...

I see Laser Devices has some DBAL PL that's looking good... Eotech has some battery mounted lasers, cool if you have that model of Eotech.. Any word on the Class I PEQ15?  Anything else new?

<- This is my SHOT show sad face.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 2:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Indeed.  I put off buying a laser based on a bunch of people here saying, "Don't buy now!  Wait until SHOT!  There will be some really amazing stuff coming out!"

I'm not seeing it yet.  Hopefully I'm just missing the coverage because of my cloddish search-fu.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 6:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Y'all are not seeing them because I am not there this year to take all the pics.  
View Quote

Instead of posting your disdain for the Egyptians and how they squandered resources by building the pyramids may I suggest that you get on a plane and get to Vegas as there is still time to make this right
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, I'm in the same boat.  I even have the Eotech 552 on the gun I'm looking for a laser for, and I'm still disappointed because you have to buy the vis/IR unit to get IR, and they aren't slaved.

Non-slaved dual laser systems are a waste of parts.  

I want a DBAL with slaved lasers, or a CQBL with hi/lo settings.  Or even the new Eotech laser in Class 1 IR ONLY.  

Why doesn't the industry conform to my wishes?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

OP, I'm in the same boat.  I even have the Eotech 552 on the gun I'm looking for a laser for, and I'm still disappointed because you have to buy the vis/IR unit to get IR, and they aren't slaved.

Non-slaved dual laser systems are a waste of parts.  

I want a DBAL with slaved lasers, or a CQBL with hi/lo settings.  Or even the new Eotech laser in Class 1 IR ONLY.  

Why doesn't the industry conform to my wishes?  
View Quote

The Eotech laser look like they'd be a pain in the but to activate with the toggle.

You'd think the Cqbl with high/low would be a no brained after the Dbal with the same.

I think TNVC should do a poll with a couple realistic options and take the winner to LDI and see if they'll do it.

Link Posted: 1/16/2014 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Eotech laser look like they'd be a pain in the but to activate with the toggle.

I think TNVC should do a poll with a couple realistic options and take the winner to LDI and see if they'll do it.

View Quote

The switching on the Eotech doesn't look ideal, but if they offered an IR only unit for under 3 bills like the red laser I'd still buy it.  I don't want to pay an extra 200 bucks for a useless red laser though.  

I really like the poll idea.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Indeed.  I put off buying a laser based on a bunch of people here saying, "Don't buy now!  Wait until SHOT!  There will be some really amazing stuff coming out!"

I'm not seeing it yet.  Hopefully I'm just missing the coverage because of my cloddish search-fu.
View Quote

I SOLD an I2 because of that.

Really hoping the SF stuff is civi available. But that might be a long shot. The PL holds no interest for me.

Need a new rifle laser too. My vitals are cool, but I need more modern switchology.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if surefire made that pistol light that could switch from Ir to led yet?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#9]
If they would make the 'civilian' DBAL look like the PEQ15 instead of that oversized housing for the illuminator, I think we'd be set.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#10]
There are plenty of good solutions already out there, we just need a class i version.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are plenty of good solutions already out there, we just need a class i version.
View Quote

That's kind of the problem- the all-in-one good solutions depend on a class III laser to power the illuminator so they're not available to us lowly plebes.  If you replace a laser housing with an LED head, the whole unit gets bigger.

Personally, a CQBL with a high/low switch and a unity mount for an LED illuminator is about as good as it's ever likely to get under the current FDA rules.  Good luck to those with fixed front sight posts...
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 10:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's kind of the problem- the all-in-one good solutions depend on a class III laser to power the illuminator so they're not available to us lowly plebes.

I don't need a built-in illuminator.  I have one on my NV helmet, and the Inforce WML works great if you need a lotta IR light up close.

Personally, a CQBL with a high/low switch and a unity mount for an LED illuminator is about as good as it's ever likely to get under the current FDA rules. .
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's kind of the problem- the all-in-one good solutions depend on a class III laser to power the illuminator so they're not available to us lowly plebes.

I don't need a built-in illuminator.  I have one on my NV helmet, and the Inforce WML works great if you need a lotta IR light up close.

Personally, a CQBL with a high/low switch and a unity mount for an LED illuminator is about as good as it's ever likely to get under the current FDA rules. .

That would be plenty good enough for me, too.  I can has pleeze?  
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:00:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That's kind of the problem- the all-in-one good solutions depend on a class III laser to power the illuminator so they're not available to us lowly plebes.  If you replace a laser housing with an LED head, the whole unit gets bigger.

Personally, a CQBL with a high/low switch and a unity mount for an LED illuminator is about as good as it's ever likely to get under the current FDA rules.  Good luck to those with fixed front sight posts...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't forget the green laser while we're at it. And yes that'd be almost perfect in my mind if we have to forgoe a realistic built in illuminator option.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I wonder if surefire made that pistol light that could switch from Ir to led yet?
View Quote

They unveiled it at Shot, and it has ir/VIS lasers too, but who knows if it'll be Class 1 and if we'll ever see it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 11:21:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of IR lasers for handguns on the market.

I was thinking of Surefire X400-IR, all I need is laser to be Class 1.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I spent significant time with L3 discussing the Civil. While looking at it in person. It is close to 50% smaller than the peq15 is. Very cool.

L3 is saying very little on any sort of commercial release and that is not good for those of us waiting.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#17]
All I want is slaved lasers on the left side, illuminator on the right and a large top activation button. That way it won't interfere with my Scout light and I can activate both without a tape switch.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
All I want is slaved lasers on the left side, illuminator on the right and a large top activation button. That way it won't interfere with my Scout light and I can activate both without a tape switch.
View Quote

You and me both.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You and me both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You and me both.

I would be in on that as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is why I am doubting the capabilities of the IR laser illuminator on the civi wilcox raptar lite. with class 1, i dont think its going to have the range...i also did read one review where the person said the ir illuminator was basicly useless.  also with the wilcox mounted at 12 o'clock i think it would mess with my grip on my AR.

The dbal d2 has a nice illuminaotr but its huge and again gets in the way of my grip when mounted at the 12 position.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is why I am doubting the capabilities of the IR laser illuminator on the civi wilcox raptar lite. with class 1, i dont think its going to have the range...i also did read one review where the person said the ir illuminator was basicly useless.  also with the wilcox mounted at 12 o'clock i think it would mess with my grip on my AR.

The dbal d2 has a nice illuminaotr but its huge and again gets in the way of my grip when mounted at the 12 position.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Id be significantly more interested in the D2 if the IR illuminator was a dual spectrum light. Basically an integrated version of the OV3 Gen 3/MK3 they are advertising. The size of the illuminator would be less offensive if I didn't need a weaponlight in addition.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Id be significantly more interested in the D2 if the IR illuminator was a dual spectrum light. Basically an integrated version of the OV3 Gen 3/MK3 they are advertising. The size of the illuminator would be less offensive if I didn't need a weaponlight in addition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A version that let you use a Surefire Vampire head would be in serious "shutupandtakemymoney" territory. As long as it didn't cost as much as the Wilcox.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]
EoTech has a class 1 battery cap laser for the 552 and 512. Supposed to be visible and IR or one or the other. They have a dual beam and a single. It just replaces your battery cap on the 552. Pics below. Don't know much else but I will stop by again tomorrow for more details. I had to jump through hoops just to get permission for pictures from my phone. More details at this link which will save me a lot of typing. You can read all about specs and pricing.
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/01/eotech-laser-battery-cap-for-holographic-gun-sights/#axzz2qd7KGHXD

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:08:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Don't forget the green laser while we're at it. And yes that'd be almost perfect in my mind if we have to forgoe a realistic built in illuminator option.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Might as well use a flashlight.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
EOTech Pictures
View Quote

So instead of making the laser box that is sure to sell millions of dollars worth of units that is already well known and has numerous people still waiting on it's release a year after it was announced... They use their free production capability to make a laser add on that no one asked for that attaches to an outdated optic... And has already existed for years (EOLAD)

I... I really don't understand...?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#26]
The only thing I really care about this shot show is when will the DBAL-PL be released, and will i be able to afford it, or should I give up on the idea of owning one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Civi PEQ-15

According to someone on TOS, Insight it looking at releasing a Civi PEQ-15 with laser illuminator. So far just a rumor, but between the demand for the CIVL, the whining that the CIVL isn't a -15, and the "Training" -15, I can't believe they wouldn't do this. (I'm the eternal optomist when it comes to gun stuff).

showthread.php?140881-Shot-Show-2014&p=1836308&posted=1#post1836308
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

So instead of making the laser box that is sure to sell millions of dollars worth of units that is already well known and has numerous people still waiting on it's release a year after it was announced... They use their free production capability to make a laser add on that no one asked for that attaches to an outdated optic... And has already existed for years (EOLAD)

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EOTech Pictures

I guess they figure thousands upon thousands of 552 are in use and some may want to add laser capability. I am just the messenger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:59:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EOTech Pictures

If it was for the EXPS/XPS series I would be a lot more excited. That said, I DO like how large the adjustment scew heads look. I am tired of have to use the words tiniest fucking allen wrenches to adjust my laser.

It also looks pretty tough and compact which is a definite plus. Its competition will be the CT railmaster/ Lasermax uni and the price point of the EoTech laser is going to lose that fight. The CT and the Lasermax can be mounted anywhere....are smaller, and most importantly, cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I guess they figure thousands upon thousands of 552 are in use and some may want to add laser capability. I am just the messenger.
View Quote

I would be one of them if I didn't have to buy a couple hundred bucks worth of useless unslaved red laser to get the IR laser.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The only thing I really care about this shot show is when will the DBAL-PL be released, and will i be able to afford it, or should I give up on the idea of owning one.
View Quote

I want a direct drive green laser PL. That will not be until next year.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want a DBAL-PL without the illuminators.  That will probably not be until ever.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Civi PEQ-15

According to someone on TOS, Insight it looking at releasing a Civi PEQ-15 with laser illuminator. So far just a rumor, but between the demand for the CIVL, the whining that the CIVL isn't a -15, and the "Training" -15, I can't believe they wouldn't do this. (I'm the eternal optomist when it comes to gun stuff).

View Quote

The link isn't working for some reason and I can't find it. Do you mind trying to post it again?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:51:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I want a DBAL-PL without the illuminators.  That will probably not be until ever.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I want the DBAL-PL they announced last year, announced it again this year, and will probably not be ever, either.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:58:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The link isn't working for some reason and I can't find it. Do you mind trying to post it again?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civi PEQ-15

Unfortunatly discussion of, or linking to, TOS is prohibited under the COC. if you do find that other site, the link I post goes onto the end of their URL.

Sorry, I pay for a membership here and try to abide by their rules.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:07:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Civi PEQ-15

View Quote

I don't understand it either. LDI did it years ago and essentially owns the market now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If it was for the EXPS/XPS series I would be a lot more excited. That said, I DO like how large the adjustment scew heads look. I am tired of have to use the words tiniest fucking allen wrenches to adjust my laser.

It also looks pretty tough and compact which is a definite plus. Its competition will be the CT railmaster/ Lasermax uni and the price point of the EoTech laser is going to lose that fight. The CT and the Lasermax can be mounted anywhere....are smaller, and most importantly, cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
EOTech Pictures

Additionally, with the laser positioned so far back it increases the chance of obstructing the laser with your support hand while gripping the weapon.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Unfortunatly discussion of, or linking to, TOS is prohibited under the COC. if you do find that other site, the link I post goes onto the end of their URL.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Civi PEQ-15

Gotcha. Didn't even think about that.

I'm a bad member

Eta: Found it. Hopefully the guy who posted that gives some more info. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm a bad member

Eta: Found it. Hopefully the guy who posted that gives some more info. I'm not getting my hopes up though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Civi PEQ-15

I'm a bad member

Yup.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:45:27 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt even think of that, and i 100% agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 7:35:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I understand that there are a number of 552's already out there. My comments were that the item seems pretty redundant / useless by a lot of measures. It requires you to have a 552 already (since most of the cool kids these days seem to be getting XPS series if buying brand new) and not already have a laser system you or your department is happy with.

To me it just seems kind of silly to release a product that fulfills the niche market of people who already have 552's that have no lasers but will buy one - and that haven't already done so through buying an EOLAD - instead of making the product in very high demand that anyone can slap onto a rail and make millions of millions of dollars.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here just expressing my genuine confusion at this company's decision making process.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:50:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I understand that there are a number of 552's already out there. My comments were that the item seems pretty redundant / useless by a lot of measures. It requires you to have a 552 already (since most of the cool kids these days seem to be getting XPS series if buying brand new) and not already have a laser system you or your department is happy with.

To me it just seems kind of silly to release a product that fulfills the niche market of people who already have 552's that have no lasers but will buy one - and that haven't already done so through buying an EOLAD - instead of making the product in very high demand that anyone can slap onto a rail and make millions of millions of dollars.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here just expressing my genuine confusion at this company's decision making process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hear, hear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tend to agree with you and I won't be buying one because I use an Aimpoint and I prefer something not integrated with my RDS. I think having separate systems offers better redundancy and I am not forced to change my entire setup just because I want a new type of RDS.

All this said I also relate to the older guys who don't need or want the latest and greatest. They find something that works and stick with it. It is why my father still has a Garand, in his eyes he needs nothing else. Many guys will stick with a 552 and will want to add a laser. Eotech won't make millions selling these but they will sell and I bet it will be profitable. I doubt they put tons of work into it anyhow. From looking at the design it is simple and looks easy to manufacture.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Thought I would chime in.  Seems a few rumors about the CIVIL this or that.

We were involved in some very high level meetings with the L3 Warrior folks.  Even though the unit was being shown again, no official date has been given on release. Molds have not been made as yet.  It seems on another site, one person who said "they talked with a Rep" said it would not be produced without a Mil contract, that is not true.  

Vic
View Quote

Thanks for chiming in Vic. Have you heard anything about this unit that'll use the actual Peq-15 housing and has an integrated illuminator? How effective would an laser illuminator be that was under 5mw?
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Thanks for chiming in Vic. Have you heard anything about this unit that'll use the actual Peq-15 housing and has an integrated illuminator? How effective would an laser illuminator be that was under 5mw?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thought I would chime in.  Seems a few rumors about the CIVIL this or that.

We were involved in some very high level meetings with the L3 Warrior folks.  Even though the unit was being shown again, no official date has been given on release. Molds have not been made as yet.  It seems on another site, one person who said "they talked with a Rep" said it would not be produced without a Mil contract, that is not true.  

Vic

that is the question.  the wilcox rapter civi version has a class 1 laser illuminator.  i am still  waiting on/hoping for some comparison pics vs a surefire vampire.  if it does as good of a job then i could ditch 2 units for 1.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 4:18:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd rather the government just remove these ridiculous restriction on things like the PEQ-15. Or at least have it so we can buy them if we go through some approval or registration process (though I'm leery of such things).

The outright restriction on new retail sales is absurd.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'd rather the government just remove these ridiculous restriction on things like the PEQ-15. Or at least have it so we can buy them if we go through some approval or registration process (though I'm leery of such things).

The outright restriction on new retail sales is absurd.
View Quote

unfortunately we are going in the opposite direction. big brother wants to dictate health insurance, take away our guns, and spread the wealth...and our next president (Hillary) will be pushing anti gun laws, not loosening ir laser laws.
Link Posted: 1/18/2014 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#49]
So what is the best (and smallest) weapon mounted green visible/IR/built in illuminator laser on the market that can be ordered Monday morning and delivered next week?
Link Posted: 1/19/2014 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

So what is the best (and smallest) weapon mounted green visible/IR/built in illuminator laser on the market that can be ordered Monday morning and delivered next week?
View Quote

Dbal-D2, but small is not a word that I'd use to describe it. That's really your only option for what you specified.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top