Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/7/2006 12:57:22 PM EDT
I'm fairly sure this isnt the right place for this, but I figured people in the C3 forum would be most interested in feedback regarding Orion Arms/Ryan Buck's engraving, so here goes.

Disclaimer - I'm not affiliated in any way with Orion Arms, and I never had any experience with likemopar's work, so I cant say whether or not Ryan's is similar quality, better quality, or worse.

However - I just got my lower back from Ryan, and I have to say I'm INCREDIBLY impressed with the entire transaction.  

1)The engraving is excellent.  Pics (with my name edited out)

2) I shipped my lower out last thursday (the 28th maybe?), and the tracking number said he received it on tuesday the 3rd.  Its Saturday the 7th, and I have my lower back in my hands... thats pretty damn fast if you ask me.

3) Communication was excellent.  He took the time to respond to every one of my emails, and even sent me pics of his post sample so I could see his work first.  

4) $40 shipped? Deal...

If you were having doubts about whether or not to send your lower to Ryan, do it.  I would recomend him without any reservation.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 6:27:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have to give Ryan Buck @ Orion Arms credit where credit is due.   I was checking around and could not find nobody to engrave my lowers locally and found out Steve at Tom Sawyer MFG was not taking or doing no work and had shifted all his work to Orion Arms (found this out on another post that Steve answered).   I sent him a email and and decided to give him a shot.  Mailed my 2 lowers off Monday the 2nd and received them today Saturday the 7.  Just in time because I just got my new stamps Friday.   He was great.  The communication was excellent.  I emailed him Thursday morning  to check to see if he got the lowers ok because the ups tracking # said they were delivered on Wed. at about 7 pm. and he emailed me back that day and said they were thru and in transit to me.  I was having 2 Bushmaster carbon fiber lowers engraved and he actually had to make a new jig to hold my lowers and even had to remove my 9mm mag block to do the engraving on the front of the magwell.  These 2 were the first carbon fiber lowers he had engraved.  The lowers turned out beautifully.  I am totally impressed and he will definitely get any future new projects that I do.  I was hoping to be the 1st post but somebody already beat me.  So if you need any NFA required markings I would definetly give him a email  at Orion-arms.com.  Thank you Ryan.

OVERVIEW

1.  excellent communication
2.  fast service
3.  great engraving
4.  will use again
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  That helps a bunch!
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 6:35:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I received my lower today from Ryan.  Awesome job.  Engraving is perfect.  Ryan is a pleasure to talk to and to deal with.  I highly recommend his work for your engraving needs.  I think Steve at Tom Sawyer MFG. picked the right guy to sell his engraving business to.  Excellent service and communication with good pricing and turn around about sums it up.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2006 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I sent mine to him a few days ago, I am glad to hear he does good work.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 7:39:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got my lower back from engraving at Orion Arms as well, and I've got to say that I'm very pleased with the work.  Ryan promptly responded to all my emails.  The engraving looks great.  The lettering is a little larger than the engraving I got done by Steve at Tom Sawyer Mfg on my last SBR, but it is not obtrusive or anything on the front of my magwell.  Overall, I think the quality of the work is great.  

The turnaround was great.  I sent Ryan the lower but forgot to get a tracking number with it, so I waited a few days a sent him an email when I figured it should get there.  I received a response in an hour or so saying that he had received the lower the previous evening, it was finished, and he was shipping it out that day.  One day turnaround.  The lower was only gone like 8 days including a weekend and shipping time before I got it back.

Overall, I am very pleased with the entire transaction, and I would not hesitate to send him anything in the future.
Link Posted: 10/9/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just got my lower back from engraving at Orion Arms as well, and I've got to say that I'm very pleased with the work.  Ryan promptly responded to all my emails.  The engraving looks great.  The lettering is a little larger than the engraving I got done by Steve at Tom Sawyer Mfg on my last SBR, but it is not obtrusive or anything on the front of my magwell.  Overall, I think the quality of the work is great.  

The turnaround was great.  I sent Ryan the lower but forgot to get a tracking number with it, so I waited a few days a sent him an email when I figured it should get there.  I received a response in an hour or so saying that he had received the lower the previous evening, it was finished, and he was shipping it out that day.  One day turnaround.  The lower was only gone like 8 days including a weekend and shipping time before I got it back.

Overall, I am very pleased with the entire transaction, and I would not hesitate to send him anything in the future.

That's what I thought, I had my SBR engraving done by Tom Sawyer and they did a great job.  The engraving on the picture above looks nice, but it does look a little larger then what I got from Tom Sawyer.  The smaller the better, in this case anyway!  The work looks really nice though!
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the pics and info - just sent Ryan an e-mail.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Does anyone know if they (Orion Arms) do engraving under the trigger guard area like Tom Sawyer use to do?  Tom Sawyer did mine on the front of the mag well on my LMT but I would like my next SBR buildup to be with a Sun Devil lower and it will need to be in the trigger guard area.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:39:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I emailed Ryan a few weeks ago and he stated that he does do the trigger guard engraving.  

scottMO
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if they (Orion Arms) do engraving under the trigger guard area like Tom Sawyer use to do?  Tom Sawyer did mine on the front of the mag well on my LMT but I would like my next SBR buildup to be with a Sun Devil lower and it will need to be in the trigger guard area.

Got any pics of what you are describing?
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had a SBR engraved by Ryan,  I am very please.   I had my info engraved on the front of the mag well.  The only thing that I would recomend for improvement is if the engraving was blackend again some how.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I emailed Ryan a few weeks ago and he stated that he does do the trigger guard engraving.  

scottMO

Is it going to be the large lettering like shown above?  I want the small lettering like Tom Sawyer MFG did.

Link Posted: 10/17/2006 8:23:13 PM EDT
[#13]

guys,

pick up some birchwood caseys aluminum black. works great for touch ups and blackening engraving. also there are some pics up on the website
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

guys,

pick up some birchwood caseys aluminum black. works great for touch ups and blackening engraving. also there are some pics up on the website

What website???
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:46:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Sent mine on monday.  As soon as UPS figures out where Minnesota is I'm hoping he can start on it.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sent mine on monday.  As soon as UPS figures out where Minnesota is I'm hoping he can start on it.  

I had that same problem.  Idiot UPS wouldn't recognize the zip code.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#18]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

I had that same problem.  Idiot UPS wouldn't recognize the zip code.

So they were obviously able to find it then.  That's good news, although mine still hasn't shown up yet.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the review - glad to hear the product and service are up to par. I'll be sending a lower out before too long.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#20]
as long as the zip code is 55110 it will make it ok regardless of the city name
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#21]
As far as UPS and the Zipcode try this one. It worked for me and the UPS computer spit out a shipping ticket no problem.

[b]SAINT PAUL, MN 55110-1001 US[/b]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#22]
height=8
Quoted:
As far as UPS and the Zipcode try this one. It worked for me and the UPS computer spit out a shipping ticket no problem.

[b]SAINT PAUL, MN 55110-1001 US[/b]

That's how it came up first when they typed the zip in, then they changed it when they typed the city in.  I had them correct it back to 55110 and it did make it.   Not only did it make it, I found out that he finished the engraving and is shipping it back.  Thats fast.  When I get it I'll post pics (if I can figure out how).  He put a custom logo on the mag well for me.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:54:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Sent out my lower to Ryan and got it back quick.  Quality work indeed.  The size of the letters seems to be smaller than what's pictured above.  Overall, I'm very pleased and will be doing business with him again shortly.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I ... found out Steve at Tom Sawyer MFG was not taking or doing no work and had shifted all his work to Orion Arms (found this out on another post that Steve answered).

Is this still the case, and if so, then why is Steve @ Tom Sawyer Mfg no longer doing engraving work?  I was just about to send off a receiver to him, so I'm glad I saw this...
Link Posted: 11/3/2006 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Ryan e-mailed me a picture of my lower.  Um...yeah, it looks really f#*king good.hat
Maybe he'll post the pic on his web-site under custom images.  When my upper reciever shows up and my suppressor, and I get the beast put back together again, I'll post a pic.  

So if I had it to do over again, I'd use Orion Arms in a heartbeat.  No questions asked.  When I heard Tom Sawyer wasn't doing engraving anymore I figured I'd get stuck going to a trophy shop or something.  But it looks like we all lucked out.  He answered all my questions and was fast.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2006 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#26]
How much does he charge for under the trigger guard? I dont see any info on his site for the work(Charge).
Link Posted: 11/4/2006 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#27]
send an email. the address is on the site
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 8:27:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Just got my lower back from Orion Arms.  The pic on his website doesn't do it justice.  It looks good.  SBR markings are the small letters.  The logo he did on the side of the magwell is a work of art to say the least. he
Scouts Out!

[ edit to add, engraving under trigger guard was the same price I believe.  You should confirm that with him.  My city was to long to fit so I had mine done on the side.]
Link Posted: 11/7/2006 8:31:30 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How much does he charge for under the trigger guard? I dont see any info on his site for the work(Charge).

I have an email into them right now about this.  I will let you know.

Link Posted: 11/7/2006 4:40:03 PM EDT
[#30]
I got an email back from them and they (Orion Arms), stated that they do the under the trigger guard SBR engraving for $65.00.  They stated that they did not have any pictures though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
OK guess I'm dumb....I've seen posts on shipping lowers but I just want to get it right when I send off my lower...  Who/how do you ship the lower for engraving??  I get UPS but do you have to tell them it's a firearm?  Any special way to ship a stripped lower??  don't want to run into any problems..thanks!!h.gif
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 7:10:40 PM EDT
[#32]
deleted by mod.
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Ryan engraved my SBR lower receiver and did a great job fast.  I had the same problem with UPS but don't worry, just send it to the address Ryan give you and it will get there just fine.
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#34]
deleted by mod.
Link Posted: 11/13/2006 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#35]
deleted by mod.
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 4:57:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 7:03:17 PM EDT
[#37]
OK I get that...and if I read UPS's site correctly you must ship a firearm from one of their actual service centers??  I guess I'm really more confused on how to get the lower back---I didn't see anything on the ATF site about FFL shipping back to owner (across state lines..)....  so I guess I should have asked the more appropriate question of once I ship my lower to Ryan (with UPS and having told them it's a firearm) and he's done with it does he have to ship it back to a FFL??  Also regarding UPS---do they require firearms be shipped next day air or something like that??
Link Posted: 11/14/2006 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
OK I get that...and if I read UPS's site correctly you must ship a firearm from one of their actual service centers??  I guess I'm really more confused on how to get the lower back---I didn't see anything on the ATF site about FFL shipping back to owner (across state lines..)....  so I guess I should have asked the more appropriate question of once I ship my lower to Ryan (with UPS and having told them it's a firearm) and he's done with it does he have to ship it back to a FFL??  Also regarding UPS---do they require firearms be shipped next day air or something like that??

Ryan will ship the lower back directly to you - there's nothing illegal about that.  For long guns, you can use UPS ground (only handguns require over night).

UPS: Shipping Firearms
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks much!!  I kept seeing the "special" requirement for handguns and nothing specific for rifles and didn't know if that meant it was wide open or I was just reading the wrong thing
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I am wondering if it is just best to ship it from and back to my dealer.  Since I am never home for UPS.  That would probably be the best option.
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 5:38:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/15/2006 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#42]

11.1.1 Definitions
The terms used in this standard are defined as follows:
d. Other firearms capable of being concealed on the person include, but are not limited to, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.

e. Short-barreled shotgun means a shotgun that has one or more barrels less than 18 inches long. The term short-barreled rifle means a rifle that has one or more barrels less than 16 inches long. These definitions include any weapon made from a shotgun or rifle, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if such weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches. A short-barreled shotgun or rifle of greater dimension may be regarded as nonmailable when it has characteristics to allow concealment on the person.
11.1.2 Handguns
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 11.1.3 and 11.1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 11.1.4 and 11.1.6.

pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/601.htm
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 11:40:16 AM EDT
[#43]
looks like the website has changed some since my last visit.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 5:35:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I learned a lot about shipping from reading this thread. Good sources. Thank you.

One question: Is a receiver a firearm? I know it's the controlled part, but it's not capable of discharging a round. By the same token, is an unserviceable assembled firearm a firearm if it can't discharge a round?

And I shipped my lower off to Ryan today.

Found my answer in the ATF FAQ

A5) Does the GCA control the sale of firearms parts? [Back]

No, except that frames or receivers of firearms are "firearms" as defined in the law and subject to the same controls as complete firearms. Silencer parts are also firearms under the GCA, as well as under the National Firearms Act (NFA). Certain machine gun parts, such as conversion parts or kits, are also subject to the NFA.

[18 U.S.C. 921(a)(3) and (24), 26 U.S.C. 5845, 27 CFR 478.11 and 479.11]

-->Pig
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#45]
+1 Great work.  Here is the left side SHTF he did on my SBR lower.

Link Posted: 12/1/2006 7:57:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Can you ship a complete lower to him, or does it have to be stripped??? Does the engraving process (magwell engravings) require a lower to be stripped?
Link Posted: 12/1/2006 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Can you ship a complete lower to him, or does it have to be stripped??? Does the engraving process (magwell engravings) require a lower to be stripped?

Check out their site, it gives you some info about it.  If you are having the mag well engraving, I think that you just remove the stock.  If you are going to do the SBR engraving under the trigger guard area, you have to have it completely stripped.
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#48]
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/arrrrgh15/Reciever2.jpg

My lower reciever...

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/arrrrgh15/19d1.jpg

My M4 clone.  SBR lower with 14.5" upper....paperwork for HALO on the way.

Link Posted: 12/4/2006 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Check out their site, it gives you some info about it.  If you are having the mag well engraving, I think that you just remove the stock.  If you are going to do the SBR engraving under the trigger guard area, you have to have it completely stripped.

I sent them an email about that and for magwell work, it requires a stripped lower.  Now, having said that, stripping a lower is far easier than putting a virgin LPK on a new lower.
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/arrrrgh15/Reciever2.jpg

My lower reciever...

i121.photobucket.com/albums/o234/arrrrgh15/19d1.jpg

My M4 clone.  SBR lower with 14.5" upper....paperwork for HALO on the way.

Whadidya use to black in the engraving? Aluma-black?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top