Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2012 6:36:47 AM EDT
Been looking around but havent found much. Has the surplus dried up for good?
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 7:17:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You can still get Yugo or Iranian 1950-60s production ammo at around 20 cents a round.  SOG has the Yugo currently.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You can still get Yugo or Iranian 1950-60s production ammo at around 20 cents a round.  SOG has the Yugo currently.

Don't mean to thread jack, but how's the Iranian stuff. Tried to look stuff up but solid info seems rather sparse. Read a lot of, " not gonna buy it cause I don't want to support Iran" or " it'll blow your rifle up", etc. only read one legit case where it wasnt as advertised, but that's only cause the seller said it was sealed except when they got it, it had been  opened  up to check condition ( I suppose)
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I see loads of it at gunshows.  Its typically the yugo stuff in the 15 round boxes.  At the Harrisburg gunshow last weekend it was as low as $5 per box
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:50:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't mean to thread jack, but how's the Iranian stuff. Tried to look stuff up but solid info seems rather sparse. Read a lot of, " not gonna buy it cause I don't want to support Iran" or " it'll blow your rifle up", etc. only read one legit case where it wasnt as advertised, but that's only cause the seller said it was sealed except when they got it, it had been  opened  up to check condition ( I suppose)

I honestly couldn't tell you.  I have never bought the Iranian stuff.  I have bought a couple crates, and some .50 cal cans stuffed with boxes of Yugo stuff but I have never shot it (tucked away for a rainy day).  For the ammount I shoot the bolt guns I just buy brass as it is less hassle to clean.  I will say that I inspected the Yugo I got in the .50 cal cans and would not feel safe shooting about 5% of it.  I would hope the stuff in the sealed crates would be in better condition.
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:43:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I see tons of it at the gun shows, all different countries.  Yugo mostly, for $5 for 15rnds.  Hell, I just look around for decent prices, and countries I don't have
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everybody, just bought 900 rds from sog!
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks everybody, just bought 900 rds from sog!

Some will argue that the prices today are too high, but honestly nothing is cheap anymore, and they don't exactly make it anymore.  I'd say smart buy, throw it back and shoot it
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 3:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I remember the good ole days when Century ran 900 rounds for $45.00. Yes you heard it correctly.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 9:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I remember the good ole days when Century ran 900 rounds for $45.00. Yes you heard it correctly.

I bought 6 of those tins with free shipping back then. I still have 2 tins left. It is good ammo.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:56:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The Yugo M49 ammo is much more accurate but the Yugo M75 sniper ammo is the best surplus 8MM

Yugo 50's ammo should not be used in semi-auto 8MM guns. They have on rare occasion blown the case big time. From the primer pocket up to the shoulder and injuries have been reported as well as FN49s, Hakims and even G43s destroyed.

I have shot a considerable amount of all of these and have had a few catastrophic case failures. In a K98k it is a nuisance but not dangerous because the action was designed to vent the energy but the worst one covered my shooting glasses with carbon and it was a scary for a couple seconds.

I used to pull the Yugo bullets and resize the necks tighter and reseat the bullet reducing the powder from 44gr to 35gr and that made for a sweet shooting round but I had to put the rear site on 500 meters to shoot 100.

Nosler occasionally sells off 200gr match seconds which are very nice bullets if you happen to have a sniper or a scope Mauser 8MM

I am down to 2 cases of 50s and  1 1/2 case of M75 so have gone to loading for range stuff.
I still have almost 2 cases of very nice FNM Target 8MM. great boxer brass cases and a very nice round

But, going on 63 I have to admit full charged 8MM 200 gr is getting tougher to enjoy with that much energy

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 4:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Yugo 50's ammo should not be used in semi-auto 8MM guns. They have on rare occasion blown the case big time. From the primer pocket up to the shoulder and injuries have been reported as well as FN49s, Hakims and even G43s destroyed.

Thank you for that Jewel of wisdom.  I will make sure to keep the Yugo away from my FN49.  I probibly wouldn't have shot the corrosive through the FN anyways as cleaning the gass system would have been that much more of a pain, but now I am doubly sure to stay away.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thank you for that Jewel of wisdom.  I will make sure to keep the Yugo away from my FN49.  I probibly wouldn't have shot the corrosive through the FN anyways as cleaning the gass system would have been that much more of a pain, but now I am doubly sure to stay away.

You can still use the 70-80's Yugo, and the Romanian in your FN49.   Your Egyptian FN49 doubtless saw many rounds of corrosive Egyptian-quality ammo before it was surplussed out.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can still use the 70-80's Yugo, and the Romanian in your FN49.   Your Egyptian FN49 doubtless saw many rounds of corrosive Egyptian-quality ammo before it was surplussed out.

Only problem is the only Yugo 80's I have seen in a while is the "sniper" labeled stuff, and at that price it is only a little more for reloadable current production 8mm
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 8:35:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Yugo M49 ammo is much more accurate but the Yugo M75 sniper ammo is the best surplus 8MM

I have shot a considerable amount of all of these and have had a few catastrophic case failures. In a K98k it is a nuisance but not dangerous because the action was designed to vent the energy but the worst one covered my shooting glasses with carbon and it was a scary for a couple seconds.

I used to pull the Yugo bullets and resize the necks tighter and reseat the bullet reducing the powder from 44gr to 35gr and that made for a sweet shooting round but I had to put the rear site on 500 meters to shoot 100.

Nosler occasionally sells off 200gr match seconds which are very nice bullets if you happen to have a sniper or a scope Mauser 8MM

I am down to 2 cases of 50s and  1 1/2 case of M75 so have gone to loading for range stuff.
I still have almost 2 cases of very nice FNM Target 8MM. great boxer brass cases and a very nice round

But, going on 63 I have to admit full charged 8MM 200 gr is getting tougher to enjoy with that much energy

Wulfmann

I've had the same experience with catastrophic case failures in 1950s Yugo 8mm...  Out of 450 rounds I had about 1/2 dozen that split the case from the primer pocket up about 3/4" the side of the case.  The first one was in an 1893 Turk...  and though it didn't damage the rifle, the lack of the vent holes in the bolt of the 1893 action gave me a very unpleasant face full of hot, gritty gas.  After that I shot it all in 1898 style actions, and the other case ruptures were as you say more of just an inconvenience.

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 9:50:03 AM EDT
[#15]
So the recommendation is to NOT purchase the 50's YUGO ammo from SOG?   Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

At least not in your semi-auto.    I'm sure countless truckloads of that stuff have been shot thru boltguns.

Which is really too bad as it's the cheapest around..and I don't see any Romanian anywhere.  (AIM is out)
And the "sniper" Yugo is 2x the cost of the 50's surplus.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least not in your semi-auto.    I'm sure countless truckloads of that stuff have been shot thru boltguns.

Which is really too bad as it's the cheapest around..and I don't see any Romanian anywhere.  (AIM is out)

Thanks.  I don't have a 8mm Mauser but am looking for one.  So bolt action is fine, semi is not?

Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the Romanian stuff the steel cased 8mm?
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks.  I don't have a 8mm Mauser but am looking for one.  So bolt action is fine, semi is not?

My point is just that a K98 can handle a case split better than a FN49, and that zillions of rounds of 50's Yugo have been shot up across the country.  If it caused gun failures as often as, say, a .40 Glock, everyone would be screaming it from the rooftops.  

Yup.  340- and 380-round tins, steel cased, 150 grain projos.  I'm not seeing any online for sale, but maybe someone else has.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point is just that a K98 can handle a case split better than a FN49, and that zillions of rounds of 50's Yugo have been shot up across the country.  If it caused gun failures as often as, say, a .40 Glock, everyone would be screaming it from the rooftops.  

Yup.  340- and 380-round tins, steel cased, 150 grain projos.  I'm not seeing any online for sale, but maybe someone else has.

There was also some brass cased ammo from the 1950's that came into the country, i'm not sure how it is quality wise, i don't have any experience with it
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:41:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was also some brass cased ammo from the 1950's that came into the country, i'm not sure how it is quality wise, i don't have any experience with it

I have some 50's Yugo and, so far, it's been pretty good ammo.

Even shot well in my Hakim, although I doubt it will ever see more of it, based on what I've read here.

It's great for Mausers, though. Shoots good in my RC M98.

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 6:21:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That would be the 1940-50's Czech "repack" in the white/gray unmarked boxes.  Mixed headstamps and different powder types within the same 20-round box.  Nice long bullets, tho.  I've used 100 or so, they've all gone bang.  
Teardown pics here:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?260167-8mm-Mauser-ammo-MEGA-teardown-Yugo-Romanian-Turk-and-more!

55_grain
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:56:30 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought a bunch of the Romanian 8mm from TGI a little while ago. it is great stuff through my vz24 and k98's. Comes on Mauser strippers.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 9:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have some 50's Yugo and, so far, it's been pretty good ammo.

Even shot well in my Hakim, although I doubt it will ever see more of it, based on what I've read here.

It's great for Mausers, though. Shoots good in my RC M98.

sorry, i should have specified, brass 50's Romanian ammo

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got about 1000 rds and no more rifles for it. I'm putting an ad in the local rag in a week or so. Romo, Alb and Turk. ( I think. It's been a whiile.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top