Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2010 9:22:25 AM EDT
I need help identifying two Arisaka rifles I have. I have tried comparing pictures online etc but have been unable to accurately identify these rifles and their markings.
If there are any Arisaka " experts " in the house I would appreciate your help. I can post pictures if anyone is interested in helping, thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#1]
post some pics and we should be able to tell you what you have
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:13:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
post some pics and we should be able to tell you what you have

Just wanted to make sure someone would want to help before I posted up a bunch of pics. Wait one, pics inbound. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is the first one, there is a story behind it but I want to hear what the weapon really is before I post the story just to see if it's possible:

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
That appears to be a Type 38 carbine that has had the stock chopped. Looks to be a school rifle at that ( the circles stamped over the mum canceled the rifle from Japanese military service ) the rifles were then given out to Japanese military schools
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 10:42:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Give me a week. My father collected Arisaka's  when he was alive . I should be able to locate his Reference Material at my Mom's house.

Iggyort

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, here is the second one. The discoloration on the end of the barrel is from over 20 years ago when as a kid, I foolishly took a grinder to it  thinking I could clean it up.  

I figured we could dicuss them more after identifying them, thanks again.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Your second rifle is a Type 99 that was built late in the war. You can tell this by the simpler sights and you will also notice that the handguard doesn't extend all the way to the front barrel band.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks again for the info. The rifles have been in the family for a long long time, I am looking to clean them up and actually fire them from time to time if possible.
I  willl start doing some research on them now that I have model numbers. I am not looking to sell them or anything, these are keepers for me even if there isn't anything special about them.

The story I was told about the first rifle was that it was a Japanese sniper rifle that was taken from a Japanese sniper who was in a tree and wounded a family members friends brother, they returned fire and killed the sniper and took the rifle. I think it's safe to say now that that story is likely not accurate.
Either way, I like the weapons and look forward to learning more about them and firing them from time to time.
If you have any more info you would like to post up or discuss about these I would appreciate it and if not, thanks for your help.
I also need to find some ammo for these, any recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That appears to be a Type 38 carbine that has had the stock chopped. Looks to be a school rifle at that ( the circles stamped over the mum canceled the rifle from Japanese military service ) the rifles were then given out to Japanese military schools

could also have been a export rifle, correct? IIRC, those also would have had the circles stamped over the mum.  that might also explain the type 97 bolt.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#10]
the second one I believe they refer to as a "last ditch" Arisaka. Meaning the Empire was getting their ass kicked and they needed more guns for a last ditch effort so they simplified production to make something that they could push into the field ASAP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I have heard of last ditch rifles but wasn't sure where the term came from. My Dad did say he modified the stock on the top rifle back in the day so that was correct as well.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 4:55:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the second one I believe they refer to as a "last ditch" Arisaka. Meaning the Empire was getting their ass kicked and they needed more guns for a last ditch effort so they simplified production to make something that they could push into the field ASAP.

yep it is a last ditch gun that someone put a dust cover on.  some of the last ditch guns are unsafe to fire since they were made from inferior metal and just cobbled togeather from parts made in people's houses.  I have handled late war guns that wouldn't even function properly that they were so crudely made.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 5:07:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Hmmmm, both of these weapons have been fired stateside but it has a been a long time. I was looking more at shooting the 6.5 over the 7.7, I will keep that in mind when I go to fire it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#14]
The three concentic circles overstamped on the Mum do mean the rifle was deemed unservicable and was then overstamped and used for training only. There should be a 0 or 00 marked on the left side of the reciever or barrel. These marks were also put on the rifle to show it is unserviceable. It is doubtful that a sniper would use a sporterized carbine that has been taken out of service. They are still cool examples of WWII rifles, although I would not shoot them. The Type 99 is a Seventh Series Nagoya, the Seventh Series was the first series of last ditch rifles built by Nagoya with a wood butt plate and simpler sights. The bolt handle shape was also changed from the plum to the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The three concentic circles overstamped on the Mum do mean the rifle was deemed unservicable and was then overstamped and used for training only. There should be a 0 or 00 marked on the left side of the reciever or barrel. These marks were also put on the rifle to show it is unserviceable. It is doubtful that a sniper would use a sporterized carbine that has been taken out of service. They are still cool examples of WWII rifles, although I would not shoot them. The Type 99 is a Seventh Series Nagoya, the Seventh Series was the first series of last ditch rifles built by Nagoya with a wood butt plate and simpler sights. The bolt handle shape was also changed from the plum to the barrel.

Wow, more good info thanks. Not what I wanted to hear but glad I heard it none the less. I know my Dad shot the 38 a lot but it was a long time ago, I wonder how to check it to see if it would be ok to fire once in a while.
I checked for the 0's and did not find any. There is a 4 digit number on the left side of the reciever but does not have any 0's infront of it nor are there any on the barrel.
There is a small triangle inside a circle ontop of the forward part of the reciever though, not sure what that means.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Does the "last ditch" rifle have a wooden butt plate?  Last ditch rifles were crude..........sights, finish, and no metal butt plate.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does the "last ditch" rifle have a wooden butt plate?  Last ditch rifles were crude..........sights, finish, and no metal butt plate.

Yes,it appears to have about a 1/2" wooden butt plate with what looks like 3 nails stacked vertically holding it on, can't tell if that's original or changed over the years but it's looking like a last ditch rifle. I did not show the first number in the serial number in that picture, it is a high number which would make sense.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, more good info thanks. Not what I wanted to hear but glad I heard it none the less. I know my Dad shot the 38 a lot but it was a long time ago, I wonder how to check it to see if it would be ok to fire once in a while.
I checked for the 0's and did not find any. There is a 4 digit number on the left side of the reciever but does not have any 0's infront of it nor are there any on the barrel.
There is a small triangle inside a circle ontop of the forward part of the reciever though, not sure what that means.

Not all had the additinal 0's, most did. The three circle mark meant also that the rifle no longer belonged to the Imperial Japanese Army. Some also had an additinal mark that looked like a crude director's chair(probably a bad anology). The rifle may not be unsafe to fire but for one or more reasons it was not good any more(shot out bore, etc.). The Type 99 is probably safe to fire but you chould have a gunsmith check it out. The Arisaka's have a notoriously strong action and chamber.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 7:04:25 AM EDT
[#19]
That's a good idea, I will clean them up and take them both to someone familiar with Ariskas if possible to see how safe they would be to fire.
I was hoping both were ok to fire, still hoping the circles over the mum could mean it is in firing condition but just a school rifle or even an export or something, as long as it is serviceable. Ever heard of that being the case or were they ALWAYS unfit for service if marked like that?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
That's a good idea, I will clean them up and take them both to someone familiar with Ariskas if possible to see how safe they would be to fire.
I was hoping both were ok to fire, still hoping the circles over the mum could mean it is in firing condition but just a school rifle or even an export or something, as long as it is serviceable. Ever heard of that being the case or were they ALWAYS unfit for service if marked like that?

From what I understand yes always.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I understand yes always.

Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top