Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 48
Posted: 1/25/2011 2:56:45 PM EDT
how are these rifles? is it worth the extra 300$ for the tactical stock? i often find myself holding my hand off the stock on my traditional stocked remington .22 so i think it would fit my shooting style better.

edit 1: i figure being that this thread has been around for a while i might as well condense some of the information.

PM me if anything needs corrections, i have not cited any of the information but most/all of the information has come from people in this thread.

through pg 17...
Do not dry fire

-FV-SR has a 16.5” bbl, trrsr has a 22” bbl both have 1/2"-28 threads on the muzzle

-the TR stock is a Boyds tacticool stock. they are often out of stock, if you want one dont try to wait for them to show "in stock" just order the stock and wait for them to make it.

-Cabelas has a green stocked version of the TR, dicks sporting goods has a tan version,and a desert marpat.

-Dip bottom metal, is a thicker plate to reduce flexing and allow more torque when attaching the action. http://www.diproductsinc.com/Products.aspx?CAT=3602
Savage part numbers to convert to tacticool stock

-savage part numbers needed to change to the tr stock:

"#100264- rear trigger guard screw 5/32 hex

#105757- trigger guard hi-luster (they have a matte black, I didn't know this when I ordered)

#108015- magazine plate MkII e-receiver, black oxide

#700688- mag plate screw, blued

#106875- take down screw Boyds stock, 2 required (these are the same that came on my synthetic stock FV-SR)

Everything was $40 shipped from Savage. I don't know the part number for the matte trigger guard."

Scope rings

most scopes under 44mm should fit with low rings. 50mm may need med rings depending on the base used.

i have a 50mm scope it wont fit with weaver #24 mounts and weaver high rings. with the EGW 20 moa mount and high rings i have about .010-.015" clearance under the widest part of the scope...

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Good shooting rifles. The tactical stock, IMO, is not worth the extra money. Just buy the FVSR, which is the heavy threaded barrel with a regular stock. Also, someone here should know that one site where the owner makes his own stocks, and sells the imperfect stocks for next to nothing. He has lots of nice products, all made of wood IIRC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:22:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Best .22 I have owned. Although I've only owned Mk IIs

Mine all in all cost around 800-900$ and it was worth every penny.
I also own a regular MKII and the TR is far nicer looking, and far better shooting.

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]

25 yards , wolf match target with scope and it pretty much does the same at 50 yards
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Mark 2 TR model with BSA Sweet 22 6-18 power sope.

This is by far the most accurate .22 I have ever owned, and I have had a half dozen decked out 10/22s and a number of dedicated AR 22s. The targets from my savage at 50 yards look like the targets at 25 yards from the other guns.

Love it!

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:32:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice rifles,but check it over really well before you buy. Most people end up with great shooters,but the Mark II I bought a few weeks ago has to be sent in to savage for warranty work already
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#6]
what was/is wrong with it?
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:24:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen a few with bad crowns , just inspect it before you buy . Savage addressed the issue on the rimefirecentral forums , seems someone was forgetting do to a step before shipping them out. Make sure you get a target crown.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#8]
how can you identify it? i was planning on using galleryofguns.com. cant seem to find any mark 2s in stock around here.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#9]
just make sure it has a nice clean target crown , not all machined mangled. dicks sporting goods should have em in stock usally or buds gun shop online

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
how are these rifles? is it worth the extra 300$ for the tactical stock? i often find myself holding my hand off the stock on my traditional stocked remington .22 so i think it would fit my shooting style better.

How do you figure $300 extra for the stock?

My MK II TR was $419 + Tax at a local retail store.

Can get get one with a heavy fluted barrel and large bolt knob with a standard stock for $119?

I am not being an A$$, just trying to figure what other savage you can get that has any of these items besides the stock for that price.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 1:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is the one I just got all set up. Have to what until this snow goes away though. IMO, I think it looks bad ass. I can't stop looking at it!

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:17:08 AM EDT
[#12]
i was looking at MSRP of the TRR-SR... or something...

im gonna go ahead and check out dicks this weekend maybe and see what they have. thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 3:54:10 AM EDT
[#13]
the TRR is about $50 more than the TR and has the longer rail with the side rails.

you can get an aftermarket picatinny rail mount, either flat or with some angle built in for extended range work for about $30, so it seems to be a better idea to get the plain TR and upgrade the rail. if you want to mount a light, there are several offset rail mounts that you could mount to the rail under the scope. for tactical varminting

not everyone will like the "tactical" stock, but i don't see a problem with it, and the large bolt handle is nice.

they're about $400 on Davidson's gallery of guns, and $425 or so at Dicks and those come with a crappy scope. (and a tan finish on the stock) i'm in the desert, soooo i'm just going to go to Dick's for mine.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 4:23:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
what was/is wrong with it?

The holes for the scope bases were drilled and tapped wrong. Ive tried 3 different sets of scope bases and 3 different scopes,the rifle will not zero at all.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Here is the one I just got all set up. Have to what until this snow goes away though. IMO, I think it looks bad ass. I can't stop looking at it!

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/and_spencer11/005.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/and_spencer11/007.jpg

Nice package

What scope is that?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/and_spencer11/005.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/and_spencer11/007.jpg

Nice package

What scope is that?

That is a Muller APT 4-14x40.  They are sweet scopes.  I have one on my Mark 2 FVSR.

For the guys that want the stock, but do not want the price tag of the TR, Boyds was selling TR stocks on their crazy deals page for $60.  That is the route I went since I knew I wanted my barrel to be 16" and threaded anyways.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have the Mark II FV, which is a varminter with a laminated stock. It's a pretty rifle.

It will also hold 1 MOA at 100 yards with Federal Auto-Match from Wal-Mart.

ETA: Who has the best prices on the 10 round mags?

I got mine (and everything else on the gun) from Midway USA.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#19]
i have a Mueller 8.5x 25 mil dot on mine , does ok with wal mart bulk but get the wolf xtra match if you wanna see what it can really do. I am planning on a 20 moa base just because
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 7:36:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Just bought the FV-SR.  $261 out the door.  Can't wait to shoot it.
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]

does it come threaded? the pic looks like it is
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

Never knew that even existed.....I may need one of those

Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

does it come threaded? the pic looks like it is

Yes.  It comes threaded.  The specs are at the link.  I ordered a Mueller APV scope and some Burris Xtreme picatinny rings today along with a few extra mags.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought the earlier FVSR from last year. The only differences are the newer has a 1 piece scope rail, fluted barrel, and tactical bolt knob. Wish I could buy that bolt knob cheap.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 7:55:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought the earlier FVSR from last year. The only differences are the newer has a 1 piece scope rail, fluted barrel, and tactical bolt knob. Wish I could buy that bolt knob cheap.

FVSR. This will be my next .22LR.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Unfortunately the best I saw on gunbroker was going to be over 300 shipped then ffl fees.  Were is the best deal online for the fvsr.  For the right deal I'd buy one today.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:45:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.  Unfortunately the best I saw on gunbroker was going to be over 300 shipped then ffl fees.  Were is the best deal online for the fvsr.  For the right deal I'd buy one today.

Did you look at Buds Guns?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you look at Buds Guns?

I looked and didn't see it there.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#29]
any dealer can order this. Last year it was a special run, which is why it was identical to the regular FV. Now there are reaching out to the suppressor crowd, and made it better, and a regular model.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Any dealer could order one, but if I find out about the gun on my own, & research it on my own I think I've done enough to deserve the best price I can find online.  

Anyone have a link to a good deal on a TRSR or FVSR?
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm pretty happy with mine.

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 11:37:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine runs fine for about 30-40 rounds with a suppressor, then the bolt will not close. Wipe the crud off the bolt face and rear of barrel, and GTG.

Chamber too large, allowing blowback?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:30:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Any dealer could order one, but if I find out about the gun on my own, & research it on my own I think I've done enough to deserve the best price I can find online.  

Buds gun shop, search '28702'. That is how I ordered mine yesterday.  :D

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Mine runs fine for about 30-40 rounds with a suppressor, then the bolt will not close. Wipe the crud off the bolt face and rear of barrel, and GTG.

Chamber too large, allowing blowback?

There's still going to be back pressure. 22 is just so dirty. Mine does the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know if it is "As Pictured". Specifically the threaded 16" bull barrel with over sized bolt knob. I have seem some posted (maybe an earlier production one) with the standard bolt handle...
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let us know if it is "As Pictured". Specifically the threaded 16" bull barrel with over sized bolt knob. I have seem some posted (maybe an earlier production one) with the standard bolt handle...

I was wondering about the exact same thing.  Last year was a lipseys special, this year is a production run with the tac handle, flutes, and threaded.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#37]
If it is as pictured I'm going to buy one this week.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:23:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll report back when it's in hand.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

When do you expect that to be?  I'm already anxious.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Cell phone double tap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#41]
i went to dicks to check out a tr, i was about to buy it and remembered to check the muzzle. there was no chamfer on the bore. it was faced clean with a counter bore but the bore of the rifle had a square shoulder...

it should have a chamfer correct?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:20:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, in a week?

How fast does buds ship?  I should be 3 days from them via UPS.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I've got a FV-SR coming this week. Now I gotta decide on a scope.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, in a week?

In my experience buds will have the gun at my ffl in two days, but then again I'm one state away from them.  When did you order the gun?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:15:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If I buy one I'm going to put a bushnell 3200 10x on it because they have 80moa of adjustment and they're relatively cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:31:31 PM EDT
[#46]
thats a target crown , if it looked like the pic , its good to go

another type of target crown

Just make sure they are nice and clean cut , not all chopped and rough. make sure it has a nice machine finish , I prefer the top style crown myself.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, in a week?

In my experience buds will have the gun at my ffl in two days, but then again I'm one state away from them.  When did you order the gun?

Saturday morning, 1/29/11.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I buy one I'm going to put a bushnell 3200 10x on it because they have 80moa of adjustment and they're relatively cheap.

Anybody know anything about Vortex. They're cheaper but have a lifetime warranty and they're an industry partner here. SWFA has a deal on a Crossfire.

http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#49]
I have a FV SR coming in Wednesday.  I also just ordered a Boyd's Tacticool stock for it (6 week wait).

Two questions for you fellas:

How does the FV barrel compare to the TR accuracy wise?

I've read somewhere that I need another bottom metal to put on the Boyd's stock when I get it in.  Which one is preferred?
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Ya know, this is a probably a little late, but...

What's the thread on the muzzle?  I assumed 1/2-28, would I be correct?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 48
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top