Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2010 10:43:04 AM EDT
So, I decided to purchase the Remington 540X that I was looking at.  This rifle is in great shape with an excellent bore and comes with the peeps sights and front globe installed. Price was $499.00.

The first thing I did was take off the peep sights, because I’m going to install a target scope on it, which is in route from E-bay.

The next thing I did was adjust the trigger. The trigger was very heavy but crisp. I followed the instructions posted in the sticky for the 541in the Renington section of RFC. It worked a little bit but not to my liking. So I did a lot of research and came up with nothing but that same procedure.  That’s when I decided to take it apart and see what I could do. I was very surprised at simple the design was. After cleaning all the parts with brake cleaner and figuring out how it all worked I realized that you don’t need the trigger adjustment spring at all. It’s the one on the bottom right. I took out the spring and it improved the trigger pull a little. So then after adjusting the sear and the travel screw according to the instructions I decided to cut two loops out of the trigger spring itself. This is tricky because if you remove too much pressure I’m sure the bolt won’t stay cocked so don’t get overzealous. I put everything back together and banged the butt on the gun and slammed the bolt to make sure it wouldn’t fire accidently. I don’t know how light the pull is, but I do have a target trigger in one of my other bench rest gun’s that is set at 8 oz and I can say that this trigger is about double that.

At the range I was shooting at 50 yds off a rock rest in front and bags in back. The scope was a Bushnell 17 super, at 10 power. The wind was light from my 9:00. I tried every ammo I could and I say that this gun has expensive taste. The more expensive the ammo the better it shot. The best group of the day was with Wolf extra match and it was tied with RWS R50.  The best five shot group was .26” center to center.

I have a Bushnell 6500 4.5 x 30 coming so I think with the better optics we will see an improvement. Also I wasn’t able to get my hands on some other ammo. When I do I’ll keep you posted.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 4:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My 540 XR has always been accurate with good ammo. Please post pics of your 540.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 7:02:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I dont have any yet but will this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top