Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2009 4:17:27 PM EDT
I put a lot of thought in to this.  I wanted a Ruger 10/22 to play with.  I already had a 10/22 with a Butler creek folding stock, threaded barrel for my can and plenty of high cap mags.  I was looking at building a pistol 10/22.  Take a 10/22, put it in a pistol stock, cut the barrel down to 5" and thread it so i can put my can on it.   Why a pistol; so I can use bulk ammo in high cap mags shooting from a pistoi.  

I started by going  to several pawn shops and seeking out a used 10/22 to start my new project.  The problem is those blood suckers are selling used 10/22's for the same price as Walmart.  I did not even try to haggle with them but i continued to vist several more.  I finally found a decent 10/22 for $140.  I brought it home and did some more looking and it was better then I though.  It had never had a scope on it so the reciever was scratch free plus it had all of its scope mount screws in place.  The stock was in excellent shape, the barrel  and the butt pad (metal) had scratch marks from I guess the pawn shop putting it in and out of their safe. I looked up the serial number (only 6 digets) and found out it was made in 1968.  This gun is older then I am.  I changed my mind on taking this gun apart. So I have to start all over.

I went to a Gun show this weekend and saw a vender the was selling an Archangel Pistol stock for $100.  He said it has been with him for several shows and he wanted it gaone.  I felt it and for a pistol, it is quite big.  I told him that i have to find a 10/22 at the show and i will be back to buy it.  I looked over the whole show and found out rageously priced 10/22s.  To be continued...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Once a rifle always a rifle.

You can't put a barrel shorter than 16" on a receiver that has ever been registered as a rfile. The only exception is if you pay the $200 stamp to make it a SBR.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Call me crazy, but have you looked at the Ruger Challanger pistol?    
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about the interuption, Dinner called.   Anyway.  I thought as long as it does not have a stock on it, it would not be consider a SBR just a pistol.  And vice versa, If you have a pistol and put a stock on it, you would need to have have a barrel that was 16" put on it and all would be legal...

So any way.  I was quite dissapointed in the gun show and not finding a 10/22.  I ready to hit the road when on the last table, I saw an Intretec TEC 22.  He wanted $200 and I snatched it up.  I knew very little about the company or the gun but, what the hell.    Positive features.  I would not have to spent $100 on a Crapangel stock kit, It takes the same High Cap mags I already have.  It has a threaded barrel, wrong thread pattern but thread none the less  and  the barrel is less the 5" so it will keep my bulk ammo subsonic.  The top swings open and the bolt and guts are right there to clean.  It fit better in my hand verses a Charger and weighs about half as much and one day when evil weapons are banned again, maybe it will increase in value.

Now for all you hard core 10/22 fans and that the charger would beat it hands down.  I don't know about that. I would have had to buy the gun.   The charger would need to have some type of optic put on it. Buy the stock kit Archangel ($150) or the Nordic Componets ($250). I would have spent a $100 to cut, crown and thread the barrel.  So easily I would have $600 in a pistol that the TEC 22 can do for $200 + $35 thread adaptor.  

I tried to do a search on the AR15.com on the TEC 22 and really could not find anything about it. So - What do you think?  I will post pictures as soon as I get them..

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
They have a bad reputation.  It seems they are hit or miss, as far as functioning.

Mine is great.  I paid $160 for it a few years ago.  As long as it is clean and lubed, it runs just fine.  I use good mags, too.

Once it starts to get dirty (I can run 25 round mags through it FAST), it starts to have some issues.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've be seeing them on Gunbroker for about 350.00 and up. You got a decent deal. The gun is only gonna be as good as those shitty mags though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My Tec-22  likes to stovepipe on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:43:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Got any pictures of a Challanger pistol?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they make a stick mag for this gun?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Do they make a stick mag for this gun?

It uses the same magazine as the ruger 10/22.   Do they make stick mags for ruger 10/22s?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:28:25 PM EDT
[#12]
How can you campare this

to this

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#13]
These have been coming soon for the last year.....this is the way I would go!

P.S. I had a tec-22 and it ran fine, but not in the cold weather.....I think all the internal plastic stuff slows in cold temps.....the hammer would fall, but not with enough force to pop the primer. I shit you not....haha.

My point: X-22P

Excel Arms .22 pistol
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
It uses the same magazine as the ruger 10/22. Do they make stick mags for ruger 10/22s?

wasn't sure if intratec actually made a stick mag or not, but I have seen stick mags for the 10/22, they feature the small 10rder mounted on a dummy straight mag,
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 9:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
 I thought as long as it does not have a stock on it, it would not be consider a SBR just a pistol.  And vice versa, If you have a pistol and put a stock on it, you would need to have have a barrel that was 16" put on it and all would be legal...

You thought wrong, better do ur homework before you get ur ass in a sling.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Do you mean the Ruger "Charger" pistol ?

Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:03:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 5:58:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:01:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Notice how it is firing from the open bolt.  

That is neat!
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:41:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Notice how it is firing from the open bolt.  

That is neat!

I thought Tec22 are a closed bolt system.
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 11:55:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I thought Tec22 are a closed bolt system.

The factory semi-auto is a closed bolt gun.  

That one appears to be a full-auto conversion.  It could have been done prior to '86 (was the Tec-22 around in '86?), a post sample by an 07/02 FFL, an illegal conversion, or a conversion done outside of the USA.

Based on the text at the start of the video offering plans for sale, the 2004 copyright, and the shooter not showing his face, I'd guess it's illegal.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 I thought as long as it does not have a stock on it, it would not be consider a SBR just a pistol.  And vice versa, If you have a pistol and put a stock on it, you would need to have have a barrel that was 16" put on it and all would be legal...

I did a little research and found that this true.  It is not acceptable to make a pistol out of a registered rifle but it is ok to make a rifle Stock and barrel > 16") out of a pistol.   Apparently, when you do the transfer Paperwork at your dealer, they check off that you got a pistol or a rifle with that serial number.

Link Posted: 8/6/2009 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did a little research and found that this true.  It is not acceptable to make a pistol out of a registered rifle but it is ok to make a rifle Stock and barrel > 16") out of a pistol.   Apparently, when you do the transfer Paperwork at your dealer, they check off that you got a pistol or a rifle with that serial number.

The FFL cannot change the designation of a complete rifle to pistol. Only bare receivers are allowed to be marked on the form as pistol, rifle or receiver on the paperwork if the manufacturer sends it to the FFL as a receiver only. The manufacturer states whether the complete firearm is a pistol or rifle. If it is not a complete firearm then it may be sent as a receiver only, pistol or rifle to the FFL.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 10:49:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Your Oh so VERY WRONG.

Once a rifle always a rifle. If you want to put a barrel shorter then 16 inches on a 10/22 you need to file a Form 1 for a SBR and pay the $200 tax.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 4:13:33 AM EDT
[#26]
One more thing to remember.

Although it is legal to make a pistol into a rifle it is not legal to take that same gun and convert it back to a pistol once it has been configured as a rifle. Again, once a rifle, always a rifle.

That being said, the likelihood of any agency proving a pistol was once configured as a rifle is remote.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 3:43:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Boy, am i so glad that I didn't make a pistol out of a rifle.    any way.  I finally put up pictures of my new toy on photobucket.  

and here is one with my can on it.

I shot a couple hundred rounds through it already and havenot had any problems.   I can hit center mass with it too, repeatativly.  This does exactly what I wanted it to do.  Have high capacity in and hand gun form using value pack ammo shooting though my can.   I had to buy a thread adaptor to make my can work so I have another $60 in it.  In Hind sight, I should have had the barral re-threaded but I was not sure if the old gun could take the preasure of pushing the barral out and back in.  

Now on a side note.  Using a can, the back preasure helps it cycle better but it also creates an extremly dirty action.  The nice thing is the the top flips up and the bolt and recoil spring come out.  I quicky wash it out in the parts cleaner and blow it dry with the air hose and within 2 minutes, its clean.
Link Posted: 8/7/2009 8:07:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Wow oh wow!!!!  That looks awesome.  Man if you could just attach a sling, like the ones on the GSG-5pk versions, perfect.  Thanks for the pics.  I had one when I was a boy, and just loved mine.  Enjoy it!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 5:36:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Man,  I am a gluton for punishment.

I went to another gunshow looking for another Ruger 10/22 and I found a brother to my Tec 22

I think they are twins
Link Posted: 8/19/2009 2:22:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Taticool 10/22.   I found this but i did not want to hyjack anyone's thread so I added to my own.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top