Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2005 2:26:56 PM EDT
First off.

Make sure the gun and mag are unloaded before working on them.

I did this to a BC Steel Lips mag and have not had any problems since doing it. It should work for any after market mag.

When the mag is full the top of the mag tips forward toward the barrel and angles the bullets down causing the rounds to drop below the chamber and jam. (Which is why some people have better luck only loading 20 rounds instead of 25.)

When I measured the front guide I found it to be about .012" under sized from what the factory mag measured. So I drilled and tapped for a 4-40 set screw. The more the set screw is adjusted out the more the top of the mag tilts backwards and the rounds line up better with the chamber.I also use Kidd receiver pins and the set-up is rock solid with no jams since doing this.

Remember to take your time as the plastic is brittle and to make sure you miss the holes for the barrel screws in the receiver or there will be nothing for the screw to rest on.

Adjust till it feeds without jamming and use blue Loc-Tite on the screw.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/AZBang/WMD/04eacecf.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/AZBang/WMD/3b12f5e9.jpg

Here's a list of what I used.

1. #43 drill bit.
2. 4-40 tap.
3. 4-40 x 3/16 set screw.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c205/AZBang/Misc/89074f9e.jpg

Cheers!

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm plastic and Loc-tite has never mixed well for me and always cracked plastic where it made contact. I found this by accident. Just something you might want to make sure and check.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hmm plastic and Loc-tite has never mixed well for me and always cracked plastic where it made contact. I found this by accident. Just something you might want to make sure and check.

So far no cracks, it's been almost a month.  I wanted to be able to remove the screw if need be so I went with the Loc-Tite and figured if I messed up I could Epoxy over the area. How long before you saw cracks?

Guess you could use glue. If I have a problem I will post it. But so far so good. Also would like more feedback on this if anyone has some.

Also the BC loader can be modified to work with the screw in place. Used a Dremel.

This is one of these things were if the mag wasn't working what have you got to lose?

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Can you post more pictures and include what the screw looks like before you put it in?

Looking at a mag I'm still at a loss trying to figure out how it works.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I'll try to get more pix up this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/24/2005 7:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Edited to add more info.

Link Posted: 11/27/2005 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#7]
So anyone try this yet?

SJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top