Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2003 9:15:50 AM EDT
I've read that many folks think the Metal Lipped Butler Creek 25 round mags for the Ruger 10/22 perform the best.

Anybody have experience, good or bad, with other high-cap mags for the Ruger?

And do I every hope that come next year's sunset of the 94 crime bill will get some high-quality high-cap mags back on the market.
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Condor 25's. Available from CTD
Link Posted: 8/22/2003 7:40:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I prefer the Condor 25's. Available from CTD

Have you tried both?

Any trouble with the Condor lips?
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
 I haven't used one in awhile, but here is what they say:

This magazine's steel lips make it much more durable. It won't become a useless relic after a few weeks because of melting lips. The steel on this part of the mag means it will hold up for years of shooting.

Taken with a grain of salt, I think this means the lips will be ok.

Link Posted: 8/23/2003 8:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the Tip.  I'll give a couple of them a try.  Cheaper Than Dirt has them on sale.

The 10/22 is fun to shoot, but a pain to load.  Having a high-cap will help with that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I would like a couple as well.  Is that a good price, or can they be found cheaper?
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would like a couple as well.  Is that a good price, or can they be found cheaper?

Well, they were about $55 each, when you include shipping.  I've been looking around and have seen a few on eBay for that price, and a couple of web pages with higher prices.

I suspect if you look around you might find them cheaper, but I do business with Cheaper Than Dirt all the time, so in my case, it was more a level of comfort than price.

Mostly I wanted to buy something that worked.

Darned 10/22 is just too easy/fun to shoot to have to reload every 10 seconds!
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Bob,

Not that I'm knocking Condor, or CTD, or hicap mags in general.  But there is an alternative.

Buy lots of 10 round mags.  

I have about 20 of them.  Thats 200 rounds of shooting before loading.  Takes about 10-15 minutes to reload them all at the range.   My range has cease fires that last about that long so someting to do during ceasefires.

I am also curious (OK, so I like hicaps too) if those Condors are NIW or used.   The site doesn't specify.

Last issue is, if the  ban dies without replacement, what kind of price will we see for these things in a year +2 months?

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I have about 10 of the BX1 (standard Ruger).  That's my usual drill too -- just load a bunch of them.  After some serious slow target shooting for the first 60 or so rounds, then I'm out for fun.  Just popping the mag out is kind of a pain.

Yep the CTD Condors are New in the wrapper.

I don't know what will happen with hi-cap mags if the AWB sunsets.  If it does, some companies (the high profile ones) I'm guessing won't make high-cap mags available because of the threat of legal action.  But who knows.  I'd love it to have Ruger make some new mags, and for Armalite to do their own high-caps.

If it does sunset, I'm going to buy cases of mags if/when they are made.

By the way, if I remember right, the original list price for most of the 25 round mags was around $20 (for the Ruger), so I'm willing to risk 2x that to have some more fun for the next year or so.
Link Posted: 8/24/2003 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Bob,

Not bad logic.  And original prices mean nothing.  The BX-1 costs about what, $12 each now?  

What I'm hoping for is the ban to sunset, and someone to make a 200-300 round drum for 10/22s.  Damn baby.  Now we are plinking.

Here is my baby (strangely I bought it for my wife but I shoot it more)

Link Posted: 8/24/2003 3:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys...I am buying one from CTD and a few 10 rounders.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Here is my baby (strangely I bought it for my wife but I shoot it more)

jimmybcool...

SWEET.  Man that stock looks fantastic!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
What I'm hoping for is the ban to sunset, and someone to make a 200-300 round drum for 10/22s.  Damn baby.  Now we are plinking.

Somebody on eBay had a 100 round (I think) drum just last week.  I didn't think that eBay allowed hi-cap stuff to be auctioned, and he had a pretty funky description of it to hide from that, I think.  But I found it by searching for Ruger 10/22.

I didn't even know they made drums for the 10/22 until I saw it.  I'd buy one in a heart-beat if it was new and worked.  Of course loading one of those has to be a PITA, but it would be worth it.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#13]
I did order a pair of the Condor 25 round mags that are sold by Cheaper Than Dirt.  One mag fit my 10/22 and worked perfectly.  The other seemed to be a bit loose and the mag would rock from front to back slightly.  That particular mag failed to feed the first round every time (the bolt would only move partway forward).  However, it was very easy to move the bolt forward by hand (a slight touch was all that it took).  From that point on, every subsequent round fed just fine.

So I'd say that I'm a bit disappointed in the fit quality of the mags, and it is irritating that one of the mags has the first-round feed issue, but once I get things going (not a big deal) they work like a charm, and it's a real pleasure to not have to change mags all the time.

No doubt CTD would gladly exchange the one trouble mag, but it isn't a big enough problem for me to bother with.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Speaking of 10/22 hi-caps, can any of you tell me if its true canadians can still get 25 rounders for rugers? I found a few canadian sites that sell 'em for about $30 CAN, but won't ship to the US... They were butler creek.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 4:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got a RamLine 30 round mag that has functioned flawlessly, it's black plastic.  My dad has a RamLine 20 round that has never worked right, it's clear plastic.

That's all I know.
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 7:03:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2003 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Thats LAAAAAAME!! I want cheap HI-CAPS!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know who made them, but I have a few steel 30 rnd mags that require a mag well adaptor.  They work flawlessly.  You even use the original mag release.  The best part is that they can be used with the folding stock closed.

I got these in about 1984, but my father found an adaptor and mag in a junk box at a gun show last month.  He paid $5.  I've seen them on ebay for $150.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't know who made them, but I have a few steel 30 rnd mags that require a mag well adaptor.  They work flawlessly.  You even use the original mag release.  The best part is that they can be used with the folding stock closed.

I got these in about 1984, but my father found an adaptor and mag in a junk box at a gun show last month.  He paid $5.  I've seen them on ebay for $150.

Those would be the Bingham brand mags. Very HTF now days.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#21]
btt
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 12:20:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Personally, I hate the Ram-Line mags.
Close to USA mags in reliability, IMO.

Had one Condor, it was hit/miss.

I have four Butler Creeks, all have been flawless since day one.
Two 'Hot-Lips' (plastic), and two 'Steel Lips'.

Mitchell made some funky 50-rounders, but they are nearly inpo$$ible to find now.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple of old Ramline 50 rnd mags and a couple of the Ramline 30 rnd mags. They have plastic feed lips and do tend to split after being used for awhile.  One could just exchange them for new mags in the old days but these days I just glue them back together.  The nice thing about the old ramlines were that they were double stack mags. The 50 rounder was the size of todays 25 round Butler Creek and the 30 rounder was the size of the aftermarket 10 round mags.  I do have a couple of the Butler Creek steel lip mags and they work well.

I also bought 3 pairs of  Eagle 10 round mags from CDNN for $9/pair. They are cheap but work pretty well. The stick out the bottom and make mag changes a bit easier than the flush mounted factory mags.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I have hot lips mags new for $35 all you want Email if you want some [email protected] Think YOU
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:51:56 PM EDT
[#25]
I have hot lips mags new for $35 all you want Email if you want some [email protected] Think YOU
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#26]
I for one cant wait for this stupid ban to be done with.

When I bought my 10/22 back in 93 I was buying the butler creek 30 rounders for $12

Them same mags have lasted me through these years and will be needing replacing once this feel good ban is through.

Favorite pastime... Puting a crank on the trigger and burning through 6 hi caps with hollow points into a mellon at 20 feet

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 4:01:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Al. replacement mag. bodies for 10/22 mags.  
A local FFL at the gun show was selling them for $99 each for the bodies. I would of bought some, but I have yet to break a 25 rd. 10/22 mag. (knock on wood).

MMAG 10/22 high capacity magazine repair housing ,:  mmag.biz/Intro.htm

Link Posted: 12/22/2003 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A local FFL at the gun show was selling them for $99 each for the bodies.

Yikes!  $100 for just a mag body?
I can buy two complete Butler Creek hot-lips for $110!

I know that they are made out of aluminum, but still...

Has anybody ever broken the plastic body on a BC mag?

Link Posted: 12/26/2003 3:28:59 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Haven't broken a BC mag but I have had 2 Eagle 30rnd mags crap out from being loaded constantly.  They were fine until they got jostled around just right then the feed lips crapped out & they fountained out the rounds all at once.  Luckily I have several more in reserve (still in the China-Mart blister package) along with a handful of 30rnd Jamline.  I've had a few Ramline mags split right down the middle seam also....no loss AFAIC....I'd rather have a haversack full of factory Ruger 10rnd mags (which work!) than a couple of the POS Ramline mags.
Link Posted: 12/26/2003 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Haven't broken a BC mag but I have had 2 Eagle 30rnd mags crap out from being loaded constantly.  They were fine until they got jostled around just right then the feed lips crapped out & they fountained out the rounds all at once.  Luckily I have several more in reserve (still in the China-Mart blister package) along with a handful of 30rnd Jamline.  I've had a few Ramline mags split right down the middle seam also....no loss AFAIC....I'd rather have a haversack full of factory Ruger 10rnd mags (which work!) than a couple of the POS Ramline mags.

Agreed, the Ram-Lines are crap.

I gave four of them away because I was toired of pissing around with them. The Eagles aren't much better, IMO.

I think that the replacement bodies only work with the 'guts' from Butler Creek mags. That's why I think the price is a little steep, and the product is not someting I'm really interested in.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#31]
i know where there's a drum.  it's around $300 though.

i want it but that's a lot of money esp with the AWB so close to sunset.  too hard to tell at this time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 5:20:28 PM EDT
[#32]
I purchased 4 Butler Creek Hot Lips magazines at the Mesquite gunshow a few weeks ago for $35 each. I figure that they should last me years unless I get a full auto or select fire 10/22. I had not seen them that cheap before.

WMA
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:41:24 PM EDT
[#33]
There seems to be a flood of 'quasi-legal' Butler Creek mags lately.

Maybe it's just folks who have hoarded them selling their stock before the AWB expires.
I think that they could have other origins though ...

'nuff said
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#34]
well the good news is since butler creek is still making them for export once the AW sunsets  so pretty much overnight decently priced highcaps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Hey, if you go to a gunsmith of have the time to do it yourself, you can have the magazine release drilled and tapped and have a short post put in there to where you just have to push the post forward and the mag will drop out, if you use that, the factory mags will work better and faster than any hi cap mags, besides, it's easier to store a box (factory mags) than it is to store a banana (hi cap)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top