Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2011 8:21:33 PM EDT
ok i'm deploying soon and will be issued one of the new LWH helmets that the Marines use now.  what type is it?  i want to get an ops core liner system but i'm not sure if it will work.

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/opscore-ach-occ-dial-liner-kit/

that is what i'm asking about
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]

I supposed to be made of the same high performance aramyd fiber the Army's ACH helmet is made of and is slightly heavier than it, but it provides slightly more coverage; the suspension is far superior to anything before fielded by the Corps; both the Army and Marine helmets have emphasized on the suspension of the helmets to minimize blunt force trauma that has been the cause of head injuries to warriors in Iraq and Afghanistan. The helmet may stop the bullet, but the kinetic energy is still there and the old PASGT helmets had no way of minimizing that impact force, transferring it to the Soldier/Marine's head, causing concussions and serious brain injuries, but with the advent of the new suspension system, blunt force trauma to the brain has been minimized dramatically.

http://www.sciencecodex.com/llnl_research_reveals_how_blast_waves_may_cause_human_brain_injury_even_without_direct_head_impacts

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
to be honest, the new LWH with the pads is about as comfortable as you'll get, wondering why you want to change out the suspension.

get the right sized pads (they'll fit you at CIF - make sure you get em right) and together with the upgraded chin strap it sits nice and snug so it doesn't flop around but doesn't crush your skull....

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
i have one of the first LWH helmets that still have a suspension system and like that way better than the pads.  i will be issued one of the newer ones and i want to know if that Ops Core will fit, is the USMC helmet a MICH or ACH or what?  i've only known it as a LWH (Light Weight Helmet).  i called TNVC earlier but he wasn't sure which model i had so Vic couldn't help me on it.  i may just buy it and figure it out when i get there.  i activate sunday so i need it this week.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

i have one of the first LWH helmets that still have a suspension system and like that way better than the pads.  i will be issued one of the newer ones and i want to know if that Ops Core will fit, is the USMC helmet a MICH or ACH or what?  i've only known it as a LWH (Light Weight Helmet).  i called TNVC earlier but he wasn't sure which model i had so Vic couldn't help me on it.  i may just buy it and figure it out when i get there.  i activate sunday so i need it this week.

neither

it's the LWH... different animal than the ACH/MICH

individual pad system for the ACH fit my LWH back when we were still in the suspension system but they were just that, individual pads.... You'd need to rock out full measurements to double check it will work I'd think.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Dammit.....  figures the Marines have to be different.  i'll have to call Ops-Core tomorrow and see what they say.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
im almost positive it will work.

the LWH is the same pattern as the PASGT, slightly smaller brim...and lighter weight obviously.

the differences between the LWH and the ACH is like someone went and cut the lower half inch from a LWH. as far as the actual dome, the sizes are the same. i have a LWH and an ACH, and they both fit in the head the same exact way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
ok thats what i was thinking and hoping for, the LWH looks just like the Army one but there is a curled lip around the edge.  i already ordered the parts anyway.  2nd day air.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
TAKE PICS!!!!

ive been interested in that kit, but have found limited pictures.

take many pictures!
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#10]
what got me interested in this was a post a member made a while back where he was selling and Ops-Core FAST helmet (ballistic one) and those have this type of system.  he said it was amazing and he didn't even need to have the chin strap buckled to use the NODs comfortably so i figured i'll try it out.  the helmet it's self isn't that important (other than bullet stopping capabilities) but the way its attached to your head that makes it comfortable or makes prolonged use less fatiguing than one that is pressing mostly on your forehead while the strap is pulling back on your chin.  

has anyone tried the different straps?  it seems like it would work better seeing as it's a straight line from your chin to the back of the helmet which would give better support unlike the 2 into 1 set up that the helmets come with standard.

http://www.tnvc.com/shop/ops-core-ach-head-loc-x-nape/
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
teh X-nape is what the LWH comes with, but its manuf. by gentex.

same exact thing. and yes, its comfy as fuck.

when i was in the army i bought an X-nape to put on there since the ACH comes with a shitty chinstrap.

the x-nape OR h-nape is definately a good upgrade to a helmet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:29:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
teh X-nape is what the LWH comes with, but its manuf. by gentex.

same exact thing. and yes, its comfy as fuck.

when i was in the army i bought an X-nape to put on there since the ACH comes with a shitty chinstrap.

the x-nape OR h-nape is definately a good upgrade to a helmet.

as far as "X" or "H" is just a personal preference pretty much?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#13]
on optactical they list both, under the X-nape it says its 2x more stable than current systems, and under the H-nape it says its 3x times more stable.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#14]
personally i love the way the x-nape hugs that little dimple in the back of your head, the h-nape may be better but ive never tried it, and have a feeling i would still prefer the x-nape.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 9:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]
the X looks like it grabs your head better, when you go to Ops-Core website they show a 6 O'clock pic of each and the X goes lower on your neck and with a straighter line from your chin to the contact point.  to me it seems like it would work better.  i have the X on the way for my LWH that has a suspension system and the liner kit for the newer LWH that has the pad system.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Unless you just so happen to need to run neckband headsets, the LWH with X-Nape and Gentex pads actually work really well.  I've used mine pretty good, and seen tons of guys beat the hell out of theirs, so it works.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#17]
The new LWH is the same LWH with Team Wendy pads, anything that fits a PASGT or LWH pattern will fit a "new LWH."  That being said, if you add more pads expect the heat to go up inside the helmet.

I don't think I would want to go around Marineastan in summer with more heat on my head.

Also have you already gotten your helmet?  The Marines are short about 100,000 helmets and some units fielded ACHs to make up for the shortage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#18]
ok i always thought it was the same thing as the PSGAT just newer material and technology.  i'll be getting issued the new helmet when i get go cali for the 90 day work ups reserve units go threw before deploying and getting all the new gear.  the shortage of helmets is only for the active guys or people state side, if your deploying to Afghan or doing on a MEU then you'll get the new type of everything like helmets, SAPIs, or what ever type of new 782 gear they came up with now.  i'll be getting one of the new MTVs that are supposed to be more comfortable and an SPC but i'm not sure if its the newer one or not.

i'm not adding any type of pads but replacing the entire inside of the helmet with a different type of system, it won't be any hotter than the thing already is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
ok i always thought it was the same thing as the PSGAT just newer material and technology.  i'll be getting issued the new helmet when i get go cali for the 90 day work ups reserve units go threw before deploying and getting all the new gear.  the shortage of helmets is only for the active guys or people state side, if your deploying to Afghan or doing on a MEU then you'll get the new type of everything like helmets, SAPIs, or what ever type of new 782 gear they came up with now.  i'll be getting one of the new MTVs that are supposed to be more comfortable and an SPC but i'm not sure if its the newer one or not.

i'm not adding any type of pads but replacing the entire inside of the helmet with a different type of system, it won't be any hotter than the thing already is.

Link Posted: 4/26/2011 8:36:24 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MTVs suck (though less than the interceptors imo)

still not seeing needing the replacement suspension system.... like I said, what we get now is just fine
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

5000 ACHs were issued to units going to AFG last year to make up for the shortages.  You may or may not get new gear when you ILOC, my SMCR unit got a mix of new and what was issued 2 deployments prior to their deployment.

The LWH doesn't have a suspension per say, the Team Wendy Pads stick right to the helmet just like the ACH. The pads you want to buy take up more space than the TW pads and will increase the heat.

Also right now SYSCOM is looking at issuing larger helmets with thicker pads to reduce the chances of TBI
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Lawrence Livermore just released a report last week that wearing a helmet one size larger with added padding will increase your likelihood to survive a IED or shot to the temple by 33%.

I'd wait to see what your issued and then have a family member send you the right gear.

PS who might be the first distributor to sell these ECH  (enhanced combat helmets)  to civies? I know its a year off. But MSA was disqualified leaving only Gentex and BAE left as suppliers. Who distributes helmets Gentex/ BAE to the open market I know SKD and TNVC sell helmets but they appear to be MSA's.

I bet these new helmets can stop ss190's. They were only 100 fps away with the ACH to stopping hot P90 /FN Five-seven' s SS190 rounds. I suspect now that these new helmets are 33% more effective that they can stop rounds traveling from 1300 fps to 1700 fps. Its the equivalent of  stopping a a 7.62X39 round at 300 meters (1730 fps at 200 m or 1424 fps at 300m )
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Lawrence Livermore just released a report last week that wearing a helmet one size larger with added padding will increase your likelihood to survive a IED or shot to the temple by 33%.

I'd wait to see what your issued and then have a family member send you the right gear.

PS who might be the first distributor to sell these ECH  (enhanced combat helmets)  to civies? I know its a year off. But MSA was disqualified leaving only Gentex and BAE left as suppliers. Who distributes helmets Gentex/ BAE to the open market I know SKD and TNVC sell helmets but they appear to be MSA's.

I bet these new helmets can stop ss190's. They were only 100 fps away with the ACH to stopping hot P90 /FN Five-seven' s SS190 rounds. I suspect now that these new helmets are 33% more effective that they can stop rounds traveling from 1300 fps to 1700 fps. Its the equivalent of  stopping a a 7.62X39 round at 300 meters (1730 fps at 200 m or 1424 fps at 300m )

I can see it now:

amazing how much of an improvement they've gotten in just the past few  years.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:46:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see it now:  

THAT!!!

in 07 for the boat det they wanted us to turn in the suspension LWH for the pad one.  everyone went up a size if not 2, i tried one on and needed an XL so i kept my medium suspension type...  so much better.  but that is how everyone with the new helmet looked, the one kid needed an XXL i think and it looked like half a tan beach ball on his head.  i'll keep my medium suspension helmet.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 12:55:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I can see it now:  

THAT!!!

in 07 for the boat det they wanted us to turn in the suspension LWH for the pad one.  everyone went up a size if not 2, i tried one on and needed an XL so i kept my medium suspension type...  so much better.  but that is how everyone with the new helmet looked, the one kid needed an XXL i think and it looked like half a tan beach ball on his head.  i'll keep my medium suspension helmet.

Your guys who went up a size didn't know how to fit the helmet, the pads don't change the size requirement and for what ever reason people either don't ask for the right size pads or know they can move pads around to customize the fit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#26]
nope doesn't work without drilling new holes in the helmet.  the X system kinda works but it's not really made for the helmet.  might mess with it more tomorrow and make it fit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#27]
wow really? post pics.

i am disappoint.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:03:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
wow really? post pics.

i am disappoint.

This.  Very curious as I have the LWH with the old style suspension.  Wanting to get something new to make it more comfortable.
-SS
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#29]
i'll get some up when i have some time as i'm in the middle of packing and taking care of last minute things.

i only messed with it for about 10min, it looked like it would work if you drilled some holes for the new mounting system as the ones in it now do not line up and are too small.  this may be because of the suspension system liner, the new type with the pads might have different mounting points for the chin strap.  either way i need to order a Lare/X-Lard "S strap" system as the medium is about as small as it goes, and i thing this is because of the non pad system.  i will update this with some pics in a few days
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:08:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
to be honest, the new LWH with the pads is about as comfortable as you'll get, wondering why you want to change out the suspension.

[div]get the right sized pads (they'll fit you at CIF - make sure you get em right) and together with the upgraded chin strap it sits nice and snug so it doesn't flop around but doesn't crush your skull....

Fuck that, I liked my LWH with the suspension system. Then they made me turn it in for the brown version LWH with no suspension system and all these stupid uncomfortable pads. Oh, and now the helmet hangs off my head sideways like a ww2 vet.

ya pretty much how it goes, there is no fitting at CIF they just give you shit then you sign for it.  as far as i've seen there are only 1 size of pads and even when you move them around it everyone still went up one helmet size unless you shoved it onto your head with the pads moved, then i could still use a medium.  the marines have not improved anything since the suspension LWH and the IBA vest, the pad helmet sucks and the MTV is horrible, the SPC however they got right except the half assed side plate carrier cummerbund.  that still blows and i had to rig up my own system.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 1:10:05 PM EDT
[#32]
ok messed with it real quick....  sorry don't have a lot of time now to make a write up but here are some pics

the holes need to be where my fingers are pointing for it to really work right i think.

as you can see in some of the pics the standard holes don't line up and the Ops stuff needs larger and longer screws to hold it in.

Link Posted: 5/4/2011 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#33]
so would making new holes be a bad thing?

from what i've herd i'm just going to be getting the regular USMC light weight helmet with the pads, nothing special.  i may try the H shape strap system on that and see how it works if what i have now doesn't work.  not sure though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2011 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
wow really? post pics.

i am disappoint.

This.  Very curious as I have the LWH with the old style suspension.  Wanting to get something new to make it more comfortable.
-SS

this set up would work if your willing to drill new holes in your helmet, you would also need to add velcro to the inside of your helmet for the pads.  i found velcro adhesive round stickers that look just like what the new helmets have.  don't think this would take more than an hour with the right tools.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top