Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2009 12:02:42 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying some old woodland bdu's and making a ghillie suit. Did you make yours or buy it made? Got pics?

Dan
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 12:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
if you make your own dont forget to add elbow & knee pads. Using ACU style uniforms make this step easier.
also,  putting a mesh on the back of the jacket helps dissipating the heat....those thing are HOT

I made 2 bonnies and 2 jackets for a US .mil....sorry no pics
he went to a sniper course in Germany to train with the new M110
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 12:51:35 PM EDT
[#2]
whats the M110?
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
whats the M110?

M110 SASS (Semi Auto Sniper System).

It's baiscally an accurized AR10 in 7.62mm that is made by Knights Armament. It's the military's new Sniper Rifle. It was born out of requests from the Soldiers and Marines in the field in Iraq and Afghanistan wanting a Semi Auto Sniper Rifle to allow for quicker follow up shots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M110_Semi-Automatic_Sniper_System
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I've made my own out of BDU's, vollyball net, and burlap or jute twine. Its ok, not the best. But I just use it for coyote hunting. it serves my needs well.

WD
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Make it don't buy it. Don't forget to add the requisite urine and duke.
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 5:23:34 PM EDT
[#6]
you can find tactical colored netting at a party store for tiki parties
Link Posted: 9/24/2009 5:34:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything you need is HERE
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Use desert cammies. You can always make light colors darker, but you cannot make dark colors lighter.

www.tacticalconcealment.com
Link Posted: 9/25/2009 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Sorry but i dont have any pics of it complete. It took 5 CQ shifts of me and my runner's building this dam thing. Base layer is mechanic coveralls, tied my netting out of nylon that is real tuff, then sewed and shoe goo the netting on the coveralls. This took for ever but the netting will not rip off the suit when it gets snagged on shit. I used jute thread for in the garden it really holds all the dirt and piss and shit real well lol. I also used an old duffle bag to reforce the elbows and legs. Im stationed in the southern part of Germany and this works great here with the tall grass and the dark woods. Just remeber a rattle can is your best friend when you move to a new AO. I got 5 buddies that have all made their own G suits, two things you dont want to forget. VENT HOLES, on the back you can cutt the whole back out even and back of the legs also. Second dont use any kinda of padding for the elbows and if you do make it small. I'll try and post some pics of it done and dirty but it a big pain in the ass to get it out cause of all the shit that is caked onto it now. If you got any questions shoot me a message.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#10]

I have too much jute, I need to take alot of it off.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 1:44:21 AM EDT
[#11]

I like the Ghillieskin hoods, rather than using BDU's. It is more expensive though.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 11:23:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I made one years ago. got the burlap from potato sacks when I worked at the grocery store. If I ever made another I could make more of a cape style to lay over me when shooting prone instead of full wooly-man suit. All that burlap or jute on the front doesn't do much when you're laying on it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info and pics. I thought there really isnt any material on the fron because the shooter is always in the prone position.I am lookng for a book on how to cinstruct one while I get all the items needed. Please keep the info and pics comming.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:11:55 AM EDT
[#14]
The only way to go is make it yourself, to YOUR specs. It will take a lot of time and effort, but will be worth it and is, for snipers, a rite of pasage. Advise you to talk to someone with experience makind them like a qualified military sniper, so you get it right the first time. The base pattern I like best is MARPAT desert.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:14:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info and pics. I thought there really isnt any material on the fron because the shooter is always in the prone position.I am lookng for a book on how to cinstruct one while I get all the items needed. Please keep the info and pics comming.

The best book I have seen on step by step is ultimate sniper by Plaster, but still advise you to talk to a sniper.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 9:34:29 AM EDT
[#16]
I covered my Ghillie front back and side to side. I coyote hunt and sit on my ass while calling, you never know where they're coming from so I like to be covered from all sides. I am about to finish my second one. I throw it in the bed of my truck and leave it for a few months, then get it all muddy, hang dry it and shake it out a little. Then its READY.
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top