Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 4:21:31 PM EDT
Wasnt sure where to post this so i posted it here. I'm looking for a decent pair of boots for whatever I may need whether it be tactical application or humping through the field. I am hoping to pay around 120-160 bucks for a pair. Any suggestions would help me out.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:03:41 AM EDT
[#1]

Check out Belleville Shoe Company...great boots and great prices.  IMHO
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
get a nice pair of light hikers. I prefer my Asolo FSN85. Sierra trading post has great prices on hiking boots.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.66688/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought a lightly used pair of Bellevile USMC boots at this new surplus store in my parts and can give them a great plug.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:48:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
get a nice pair of light hikers. I prefer my Asolo FSN85. Sierra trading post has great prices on hiking boots.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.66688/dept_id./est./qx/product.htm

+1 on the Asolo boots. I've worn them for 10+ years, mostly backpacking and they've been great.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I use Danner Commanders at work. The FT. Lewis boot is awsome too.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm a new fan of my Merrell Chameleon light hikers.  They wear like a tennis shoe/sneaker/running shoe, have Goretex, Vibram tread, and a wide heel.  They aren't good for water deeper than 5 or 6 inches.

The best thing I like about them is that I constantly (even with jungle boots, desert boots, etc.) roll my ankles (since I walk more on my heels than on the ball or toe) on mostly uneven terrain, but with these I get a consistant firm planting of my foot every time I walk, and thus do not roll my ankles.

Might not be what exactly you're looking for, but just a suggestion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Danner or Weinbrenner/Thorogood have always done me right.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:38:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Hitek Oakhurst for off duty hiking/camping/shooting.

Georgia Boot Co basic black leather boot with Vibram sole for work.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Here's something a bit different...

I'm a land surveyor and spend a LOT of time on my feet hiking through the boonies, sometimes with a load of up to around 40 lbs.  The BEST boots I've tried so far for general use are Lowa "Trekkers", which I got from Zappo's  (www.zappos.com, I think).

They're not quite heavy enough for sustained heavy packing, but they have lasted a lot longer than the Bates, Danners, and Matterhorns I've had, and are a lot more comfortable than the Raichles, Montrails, and some of the heavier Lowa boots I've tried.  (I think they're actually a little lighter weight than Danners Acadia Desert boots.)

They're pretty heavy-duty, but feel almost like light-hikers or tennis-shoes for walking, but with more support.  Break-in is minimal, and the lightly padded glove leather lining conforms to your feet really well.

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
The BEST boots I've tried so far for general use are Lowa "Trekkers", which I got from Zappo's  (www.zappos.com, I think).

Man, those are almost, if not identical except for the color, to the Raichle boots I've used.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:25:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The BEST boots I've tried so far for general use are Lowa "Trekkers", which I got from Zappo's  (www.zappos.com, I think).

Man, those are almost, if not identical except for the color, to the Raichle boots I've used.

I've only had one pair of Raichle's and I don't think they even make that model anymore.  They were a "heavy backpacking" boot, and they were indeed heavy, but they did last a long time.  

These Lowa's are a lot lighter, and LOT more comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:30:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I've only had one pair of Raichle's and I don't think they even make that model anymore.  They were a "heavy backpacking" boot, and they were indeed heavy, but they did last a long time.  

These Lowa's are a lot lighter, and LOT more comfortable.

Thanks.

I'll put Lowa's on the list to check out when my Montrails wear out.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Diamonds,

Here's a Danner product which I've found to be great:  Striker Non-GTX.

I've walked many miles on a ranch wearing these while carrying about 25 lbs of...uhh...personal protection items.  They've held up fine and are comfortable.

But they're not heavy hiking boots, and offer adequate/good support - but there are better boots for carrying heavy loads.

They're also good to run in.

Danner also has a desert new boot out now, but they have a coupla hooks instead of eyelets - if that's an issue for you.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:40:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Anybody tried out 5.11's HRT boot? Looks very interesting and lightweight.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Diamonds,

Here's a Danner product which I've found to be great:  Striker Non-GTX.

I've walked many miles on a ranch wearing these while carrying about 25 lbs of...uhh...personal protection items.  They've held up fine and are comfortable.

But they're not heavy hiking boots, and offer adequate/good support - but there are better boots for carrying heavy loads.

They're also good to run in.

Danner also has a desert new boot out now, but they have a coupla hooks instead of eyelets - if that's an issue for you.

Oh yeah, this just reminded me that Lowa also has a new "desert combat boot" out.  I think MilitaryMorons.com did a review of it.  You might check it out if you're looking for a lighter-weight boot.  Zappo's probably has them, though I haven't checked.  (too busy trying to wear out my Trekkers )

I hate to be anti-Danner, as I've worn out more of them than any other boot.....  but I've worn out more of them than any other boot.

They fit me better than most, and offer great support, great "springy" feeling when you walk, but they blow out too fast to suit me.  Arches collapse, more than anything else.  But, in all fairness, I have pretty small feet for the load they have to carry every day - 8.5D and I weigh about 190, so that is probably harder on boots than people with "average" size feet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top