Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2012 10:56:33 AM EDT
I like storing most my ammunition loose in 50cal ammo cans.  I was inventorying my shotgun shells and realized I could a lot more in a can if they were loose.  I am worried though that the plastic hulls may break under the weight of the other shells.  Does anyone have experience storing shells loose in a ammo can?  As always thanks and pictures appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I can get 300 12g shells loose in a 50 cal ammo can.  These are 2 3/4 shells.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I am really asking if anyone has experience doing this long term.  Will they eventually crush the ones on the bottom after a few months?
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a whole bunch in the 5rd boxes packed in ammo cans at home with desicant packs, been in there for about 2 1/2 years. I'll check on them when I get home and let you know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Seriously? Pur your hand at the bottom of the can of shells. That's how much weight and pressure is on them. You put more pressure on them loading them in and out of a side saddle.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I've stored 12ga shells loose in 50 cal cans for years with no problems.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Seriously? Pur your hand at the bottom of the can of shells. That's how much weight and pressure is on them. You put more pressure on them loading them in and out of a side saddle.

Yep seriously, better safe than sorry.   I was just thinking how heavy it was when I picked up a can of 300 rounds.  I have heard of shells splitting from being in a mag tube too long (farm gun left by a door for years.).  This is why I asked.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:58:33 PM EDT
[#7]
This thread has peaked my interests.  I like this setup here and will probably pick up a couple of these:

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shotgun/shotshell-boxes-sd100.html
Link Posted: 4/9/2012 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I thought I had the OCD...Just stack the flats.  

Sometimes I'll use cans for my 28 ga. reloads if I'm too lazy to re-box them.  They get too heavy to lug around.

And crushed shells go bang just fine.  Just gotta shove in there harder.

Link Posted: 4/9/2012 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#9]
I've stored about 200-300 00B shells in a small .50 can. The can isn't that heavy compared to my other cans that hold brass shelled ammo. I've had them stored in the same can for at least two to three years now and haven't seen any degradation.

If you store them without boxes and in a orderly manner you can store a lot more.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top