Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/1/2009 9:05:12 AM EDT
I know there is no love for the heavy, complicated, and expensive SPAS 12, but I figured I'd still make a thread for Hollywood's favorite shotgun.

Added two general info videos:

Basic Overview
Field Stripping

Pics:

Yep, I like SPAS 12's. I'll definitely admit they're inferior to modern designs, but I think it's an interesting and very aesthetically pleasing piece of equipment. Still, my go-to gun will always be an 870.
Link Posted: 3/1/2009 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I just recently purchased one too, and it was in sorry shape (soooo dirty).  I was impressed when I took it apart at how beefy the parts are.  The weak links are the rubber parts.  Make sure you have the o-ring that fits over the mag tube, and the buffer at the rear of the reciever.  The buffer is the common missing part, and the word is shooting without it will eventually destroy your reciever. If you need a buffer, let me know, I have a phone number where you can order one for $15 plus shipping.  Aight, now for pics of mine all cleaned up:

Link Posted: 3/2/2009 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Spot saved for pix addage

Link Posted: 3/2/2009 6:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They were tacti-cool long before it was cool!!
Link Posted: 3/3/2009 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Heres mine!
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
mine

Link Posted: 3/4/2009 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Question? Do those have chokes or just have like a cylinder at the end or what?
Link Posted: 3/4/2009 6:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, you can hand-screw a choke right on the end.

Downside: choke tubes can easily cost over $200...
Link Posted: 3/5/2009 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
WoW expensive!!!!
Link Posted: 3/8/2009 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#9]
lets keep this thread going...

Link Posted: 3/8/2009 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 3/9/2009 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a a certain ambivalence toward the SPAS12, but that SIG is makin' me a little horny.
Link Posted: 3/9/2009 6:53:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Guys .... From some of those pictures I notice the old style safety toggle lever on some of them.

BE WARNED

There was an issue with that type safety and it can accidently discharge with a round in the chamber when you move the lever from safe to the fire position.   It did on my buddy and the muzzle popped up and smacked him in the face. I was able to send it and have it changed to the authorized push button replacement, but that was over 10 years ago. I'm unsure if it who if anyone can retrofit them to the new safety (and Safer) version.

More details Here  on your Spas and all sorts of information on it. Good luck and welcome to Spas land!
Link Posted: 3/11/2009 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Got my SPAS out to the range today, tried out some Ranger reduced recoil buck and some Remington buck. The Remington stuff worked great in semi, but the reduced recoil shells had to be pumped. Recoil with both loads was light. I had about a 11 inch spread at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Any more SPAS 12 owners out there?
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't know much about those guns i seen a few at a gun show not to long ago
i asked the guy who was selling them if i could handle one he said yeah i was NOT
impressed "no offense" i guess i couldn't see spending the 2k price tag.
Link Posted: 4/8/2009 4:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
They look just plan "Bad" don't they?
Link Posted: 4/12/2009 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn I want one now
Link Posted: 4/13/2009 12:01:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Can you still buy this shotgun or is it no longer being made?
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 4:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Spas are no longer manufactured and were also affected by the import ban years ago.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I know there is no love for the heavy, complicated, and expensive SPAS 12, but I figured I'd still make a thread for Hollywood's favorite shotgun.

Lots of love for em here!!  For me, the Spas is "the one that got away".  I always wanted one but never got around to purchasing one before 94. I think they're the coolest looking shotguns made.  Never had the opportunity to try one out.  Tell you what....I'll forward you my name and address and you can leave it to me in your will.

Link Posted: 4/16/2009 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Guys .... From some of those pictures I notice the old style safety toggle lever on some of them.
BE WARNED
There was an issue with that type safety and it can accidently discharge with a round in the chamber when you move the lever from safe to the fire position.   It did on my buddy and the muzzle popped up and smacked him in the face. I was able to send it and have it changed to the authorized push button replacement, but that was over 10 years ago. I'm unsure if it who if anyone can retrofit them to the new safety (and Safer) version.
More details Here  on your Spas and all sorts of information on it. Good luck and welcome to Spas land!

This

The guy at www.spas12.com has a good post on the safety recall.  Sounds serious.
http://spas12.com/spassafety.htm

Always wanted one - never pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 4/17/2009 6:56:46 AM EDT
[#22]
The other interesting trivia about Spas and parts: Is some Role Playing Dress types have sucked up some spare spas parts also.

Remember the movie Aliens? The Space Marines rifle used kit bashing skills in order to make the rifles for the movie gun.  Using Spas, Remington 870  and Thompson sub machine gun parts.   So some of the RPG / gencon fans have hit Brownells and other parts despots making their own replica de-wat aliens weapons.

Build a Space Marine Pulse rifle tutorial.

Note 2 : Its not unusual to see Spas with the folding stocks for sale missing the "Hooks"  they are easily removable and seem to be the first thing to get misplaced or are missing when someone's putting one up for sale.   There is someone that used to advertise on gunbroker that is making a replica replacement and he does truthfully advertise them as not being the original factory hooks.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I always loved the SPAS 12 and it's one of the nicest guns I have ever shot! and trust me that covers a lot of title 1 & 2 weapons. I think I'm on my 5th SPAS 12 now, which is new and unfired. I always regret selling a SPAS off to help fund a different weapon and always seem to buy them back later. Learning the SPAS is not that hard (to me) and when you know it your done. Simpler shotguns are out there but if you want just a damn cool shotgun that's a BLAST to shoot if have to go SPAS. Also out the ones I have owned I have never had a bit of trouble with any of them, and If I did I would be the first one on the bitch wagon about it. I'm one picky sob about firearms.

My .02
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Pardon my childishness, but this is the weapon portrayed in the first Jurassic Park, correct? I always thought that shotgun was sick as a little kid! Then I raised the money to buy one and was told "Collector item" pretty much. Alas, it still looks badass!
Link Posted: 5/4/2009 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Yep, that would be the SPAS 12.

Link Posted: 5/4/2009 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome weapon.
I got mine about 3 years ago for a little over $500 at a pawn shop.   It was almost new and turned out to be a pretty good investment even though I knew nothing about it when I purchased it.  
Haven't had a single issue. It cycles buckshot, slugs, and all high brass shells I've put in it.  It will not cycle low brass stuff reliably in semi-auto mode.
The only thing I've done is replaced the recoil buffer .  The stock buffer really does get weak after time and it's too valuable to ruin over a $50 part.
It's solid as a rock. I even found 2 original slings on the EE for $15 each.  The sling doesn't fit the rear loop real well so I don't use them but they are very rare and usually fetch over $100 on gunbroker.
Anyone who wants to know more about this unique shotgun go to SPAS12.com . The guy knows his stuff.  
I took it to the big funshow in B'ham in Oct.  I got a lot of attention and many offers for a whole lot more than I paid for it but couldn't part with it.
I'll take some more detailed pics sometime soon but for now...
Here's mine along with my other shorty scatterguns.

Rem. Mohawk 48
SPAS 12
Rem. 870 special purpose Mag with Knoxx Compstock (awesome stock btw)
Mossberg 590 A-1
Saiga 12 conversion I did myself.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2009 1:37:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Is that a factory extension on it? I've been looking for a +3 extension for mine, but they are really hard to come by. I've heard benelli ones work.
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 2:38:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Question, I have a Spas-12 with the solid stock and mine will cycle low brass federal loads without any problems. It also has way more recoil IMO with those loads than it should (probably the stock).  The report is really loud too, much louder than my 870 firing the same load.  it's way louder than my 16' FAL or M44.

This doesn't seem to be the norm, my buffer looks good, my springs are all stiff. What's up with my gun? Did I just get lucky and get one that likes low brass loads or am I tearing my receiver apart with every shot?
Link Posted: 5/5/2009 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#29]
First...
Quoted:
Is that a factory extension on it? I've been looking for a +3 extension for mine, but they are really hard to come by. I've heard benelli ones work.

The extension is original. .  It was on it when I got it.  Don't know about the Benelli extensions working.  

Quoted:
Question, I have a Spas-12 with the solid stock and mine will cycle low brass federal loads without any problems. It also has way more recoil IMO with those loads than it should (probably the stock).  The report is really loud too, much louder than my 870 firing the same load.  it's way louder than my 16' FAL or M44.

This doesn't seem to be the norm, my buffer looks good, my springs are all stiff. What's up with my gun? Did I just get lucky and get one that likes low brass loads or am I tearing my receiver apart with every shot?

Let me take a clarify, mine cycles low brass stuff sometimes but not reliably. I wouldn't trust my life on shooting low brass but I might with buckshot. If I really had to trust my life on one of my shotguns, it'd be the 590A1 or the 870.

I don't know what to tell you about the loudness thing. Is the low brass stuff louder than buckshot and high brass?   I wouldn't think it'd be a factor.  If it cycles,  that's great.
Bottom line is, just make sure the bolt isn't ramming into the back of the aluminum receiver with nothing to absorb the shock. Crack the receiver and you have a buch of pretty valuable spare parts.  
It's really hard to tell about the buffer while it's in the gun. There's really no way to check it without breaking it. Break it down, remove the bolt and make sure the little round white plastic thing is still where it should be.   The little nipple that holds the buffer into the receiver gets brittle and breaks off. It's all explained at spas12.com.
A friend of mine has one and his actually broke.  The buffer came loose and was jammed behind the bolt.   It wasn't hard to remove.  We broke it down and we both ordered replacements.  I changed mine b/c I didn't want to risk it.   It's a bit of a pain to install the new one just because of where it's located but I was able to get it eventually.  IMHO, if I had a SPAS 12 or Law12 with the original buffer, I'd replace it.   It's not that hard to do.  It's like insurance.  It'd suck to ruin a $1000+ shotgun because of a $50 part.  Yes, that's expensive for a recoil buffer but everything is expensive when it comes to this gun.  The replacement is way better than the original and it's held in with a proper screw not a little plastic nipple.   Hope this helps , keep on shooting.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2009 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Awesome weapon.
I got mine about 3 years ago for a little over $500 at a pawn shop.   It was almost new and turned out to be a pretty good investment even though I knew nothing about it when I purchased it.  
Haven't had a single issue. It cycles buckshot, slugs, and all high brass shells I've put in it.  It will not cycle low brass stuff reliably in semi-auto mode.
The only thing I've done is replaced the recoil buffer .  The stock buffer really does get weak after time and it's too valuable to ruin over a $50 part.
It's solid as a rock. I even found 2 original slings on the EE for $15 each.  The sling doesn't fit the rear loop real well so I don't use them but they are very rare and usually fetch over $100 on gunbroker.
Anyone who wants to know more about this unique shotgun go to SPAS12.com . The guy knows his stuff.  
I took it to the big funshow in B'ham in Oct.  I got a lot of attention and many offers for a whole lot more than I paid for it but couldn't part with it.
I'll take some more detailed pics sometime soon but for now...
Here's mine along with my other shorty scatterguns.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/natew73/1.jpg
Rem. Mohawk 48
SPAS 12
Rem. 870 special purpose Mag with Knoxx Compstock (awesome stock btw)
Mossberg 590 A-1
Saiga 12 conversion I did myself.  

OOOH...You got a woody there!
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#31]
There are ton of SPAS 12's on Gunbroker right now with no bids. Panic buys, I bet.

Might have to snag me a folding stock model off there.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 9:59:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There are ton of SPAS 12's on Gunbroker right now with no bids. Panic buys, I bet.

Could be but I think times are hard and people are broke and it isn't getting better any time soon. Just wait until the car dealers close.
Bottom line is, if you can swing it, go for it.   It's a good time for those with money to spare.  

Link Posted: 5/23/2009 3:52:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Cool... I'll have to send the link to my friend who has drank the Tacticool kool-aid and only likes small penis guns as my dad calls them... He thinks the SPAS 12 is the only shotgun for him... His mind might change when he sees the price tag on the only shotgun for him
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool... I'll have to send the link to my friend who has drank the Tacticool kool-aid and only likes small penis guns as my dad calls them... He thinks the SPAS 12 is the only shotgun for him... His mind might change when he sees the price tag on the only shotgun for him

Prices are still over $1K .  The SPAS 12 shouldn't be the only shotgun in anyone's collection.  It sure is cool though.
Link Posted: 5/23/2009 11:29:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Found a local folder and traded a few milsurps.

It's got everything, the complete folding stock, the mag extension, and the button safety. Has some wear on the stock but mechanically it's perfect. Looking forward to shooting it ASAP!

Also, I found out it has a 19 1/2" barrel and a 7+1 capacity. Anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 9:33:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prices are still over $1K .  The SPAS 12 shouldn't be the only shotgun in anyone's collection.  It sure is cool though.

I agree... Especially since replacement parts cost a crap ton. I still like my 870
Link Posted: 5/24/2009 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#37]
i dont own one but ever since i first saw it i have been drawn to it and cant help myself
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#38]
I took my folding stock SPAS out to the range for the first time the other day (ammo prices have been delaying me...).

This one seems to have an all milled piston as opposed to the partially stamped one on my fixed stock SPAS. Overall the quality and performance of this older one has been a lot better. I think towards the end of the SPAS 12's U.S. run they were cutting more corners.

This one cycled buckshot without a hitch, and low-brass stuff about 80% of the time (more than I expected). Patterns were nothing to brag about with Winchester reduced recoil buck and Remington green box, they were also quite a bit larger than on my choke-less 870.

On a side note, does anyone know of any military or police forces that actually used the SPAS? I have numerous books that say it was popular with police, but have never actually heard of one used outside of the civilian world.
Link Posted: 6/21/2009 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I've got a fixed model stock put away, sorry no pics. Nothing different then the other fixed stock models.
I do know there was a small (6 man) police force here in Middle TN  that used to have SPAS12s in their patrol cars. Either that or I always saw the same cop again and again
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 1:14:18 AM EDT
[#40]
shot mine for the first time last week and was a little disappointed that it would not cycle slugs.  any ideas folks?
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 8:05:36 AM EDT
[#41]
I would strip it down and check your gas ports. Lightly oil the outside of your magazine tube and the top of the hammer assembly. That seemed to help my other SPAS.

If that doesn't work, you may have to try a few different types of slugs.
Link Posted: 6/22/2009 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Mine won't cycle the Remington Reduced-Recoil slugs,but works just fine with the regular Remington Slugster.
Winchester Power-Point Slugs work fine,but I had problems with Wolf Slugs.They leaded up my barrel real bad!

Winchester 00 Buck worked most of the time,but the shells didn't eject too far.
Hornady TAP 00 Buck was much better then the Winchester 00.The empties were flung 2 or 3 feet away.

1oz Trap loads would not cycle at all.

Heavy Turkey loads really worked that action,throwing the empties over 4 feet.They were 1 5/8 oz #4

The manual says that heavy loads are needed for auto-feed,and std loads are not recommended for reliable operation.

If you want to shoot std ammo,switch it to manual and pump away!
Link Posted: 7/17/2009 3:36:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Added some vids.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 3:02:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Got to keep this thread going....

Link Posted: 12/13/2009 2:26:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Most badass looking small arm I can think of, I wanted one from the moment I saw Jurassic Park until 2007, when I actually shot one and discovered that they are almost totally fucking useless as defensive weapons, overly complex, and not very reliable at all. If you're thinking about buying one of these I strongly suggest handling one first. These are cool collector's pieces, NOT home defense guns or ANY type of combat weapon to be frank.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Seeing those pics from Snatch reminds me, are there any real cut-down SPAS's around?  Would this hurt auto mode?
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 3:53:31 PM EDT
[#47]
I have never seen a real-life SPAS 12 that had been cut down. It wouldn't look like the one in "snatch"; you would lose the outer-threaded barrel.

I don't know if shorter barrel would make it (more?) unreliable or not. I have seen some factory shorty SPAS 12's, but I don't know if they opened the gas ports or not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 4:45:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I just watched the vids in the OP... I really have respect for you SPAS owners. I couldn't deal with all of that mess with the confusing controls and how hard it is to strip that thing down

I still think its a cool gun, but I like my 870

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top