Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2008 8:28:22 PM EDT
I'm finishing up my new SBS and I need help with the whippet style grip I made.  I cut down the regular stock and now I need to plug the hole.  You can see I have a plug that fits well and will conceal nicely.

How do I attach the plug so that it stays firmly and yet can be removed?  Once I insert the plug I cannot pull it out.  I'd like to be able to remove the plug without damaging it or the grip, so I can access the bolt later if needed.

My only/best idea is to use an allen screw, drilled and driven in through the front of the grip into the plug.  This will serve to hold the plug in place and when the screw is removed completely I can insert the allen wrench and tap out the plug.

Any other ideas before I proceed?

Click each pic for bigger...

ETA: I went ahead and used my method described above, it worked like a charm!

ETA: Here's my sorta build thread.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a fine job of cutting and reshaping the factory stock.  Seems to me it would be easier to drill thru the back end of the plug and into the stock for your set screw.  Then you could back the screw out to clear the stock and use it to pull the plug out.  As long as you flushed the screw with the face of the plug you'd never feel it.  Wouldn't doing it the way you described deform the screw hole when you used the allen wrench to "tap" out the plug?

Rob
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the compliment, it's my first such effort and I'm pleased with how it turned out.  Now just lots more coats of BLO (boiled linseed oil) to bring up the luster.

I don't think taping it out will mess up the threads in the wood.  The allen screw is wider than the wrench so it'll pass the threads and hit the end of the hole.  Plus it doesn't take much effort to knock it out.

I like your idea.  Good thinking.  I'd think I want to stay away from any holes on the more visible butt end of the grip.  Hence my idea for coming up from underneath.   Doesn't mean I'll rule it out though.

More ideas anyone?

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top