Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 9/24/2007 9:21:18 AM EDT
Below are my original notes and some updates has new After Market Parts have become availible. Of important note though is since the 930 SPX was introduced last year there have been a few known points you need to check when purchasing this shotgun. A. Several individuals have reported that the reciever rails are being found stripped. The two front bolts in particular. Further in the thread Max100 recommeds a UTG mount has a alternate. Bottom Line check before you buy. No one has reported returning a stripped receiver so no comment on Mossies customer service. B. Several Front Sights have been reported has canted to one side and the whole barrel seems to have been replaced buy the factory. C. One or two have reported the extension tube was dented from the dealer/factory. They have also been replaced by Mossie. Those are the reported issues I'm tracking, but there may be more

1. Overall well thought out shotgun, light, trim and well balanced.

2. LPA Sights, need I say more. Some may not like that the rear is removable, but I prefer it. The front sight is also adjustable for Elevation if you need it. Also allows me to mount a Mini-Red Dot like the Doctor or Burris FireSite or Aimpoint T-1.

3. Cocked indicator protrudes inside the front of the trigger guard.

4. Choate Extended Mag tube, some people don't like them, but I have never had a problem with one. (Edit)Nordic Comp now has extensions availible for the 930! (Edit)

5. Unloading. The bolt release below the ejection port also doubles as a shell stop release. Turn your shotgun on its back, depress the shell carrier and then depress the release. One shell comes out, lift out and repeat till unloaded. Turn it back over right side up and eject the round in the chamber, then inspect for clear.

Very nice, and they seem to be listing for less then $550 when you can find them.

What would I like to see added?

1. Oversized Charging handles Currently availible from Choate and The Gun Connection:

2. Stainless High Visability follower. (edit) Currently using a Schattergun Tech 870 follower. The Choate unit was causing feeding problems, so far the Wilson is working fine.

3. Giles Three Point Sling!!!

4. 3Gun Gear  Side Saddle. I should keep me from worring about pinching the reciever. Something I have done on my 11-87. IF it works out then I will convert the 11-87 also. Remington is using something like this on the 870 MCS also.

5. Mesa Tactical Magazine and Barrel Clamps for mounting my M-6X. Now that I have one it sits very high off the side of the shotgun.

6. A +1 extension to use with the breaching barrel. Fresh out of the BOX Semi Custom from Choate. Also availible from Nordic comp.

Wish that it was a little shorter, but will most likely need it for the light mount.

The beacher set up with the plus one tube. is realy growing on me over the SPX. The front bead lines up nicely in the trough in the rail and it is all around preety nice.

Choate has also released a Pistol Grip Stock.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I just wet myself.

I gotta have one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 7:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I demand a range report!   That is one sexy shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 2:58:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Im wanting a semi for 3-gun. This may be the ticket. Id like to see Knoxx make a Spec-Ops for it.
Not sure if I wanna go with this one, or pony up  a few more bones for a M2 or a new Winchester.

Is it a tighter gun than past Mossbergs? The ones I have used in the past functioned great, but had more rattles than a Jamican beach band.

I also want to find out if its a Billy Goat and will eat anything from weak ass bird shot, all the way to 3in slugs.

Receiver: Steel or alum?

Lastly, please tell me they changed the location of the safety
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Im wanting a semi for 3-gun. This may be the ticket. Id like to see Knoxx make a Spec-Ops for it.
Not sure if I wanna go with this one, or pony up  a few more bones for a M2 or a new Winchester.

Is it a tighter gun than past Mossbergs? The ones I have used in the past functioned great, but had more rattles than a Jamican beach band.

I also want to find out if its a Billy Goat and will eat anything from weak ass bird shot, all the way to 3in slugs.

whats wrong with the location of the safety?
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 3:49:22 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

whats wrong with the location of the safety?

Hard to access if you happen to want a pistol grip stock, which I would.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Preety sure it is alum. No Knoxx for this shotgun. Much like the 11-87 it has junk in the trunk, like most of the current semi's. No rattle that I have noticed, this is a preety nice gun. The Safety is still were it belongs on top Of course as a lefty I'm byassed. But I also am not a fan of cross bolt safety's or safeties I operate with my trigger finger. That said I also have an 11-87 and a 870, both lightly customed with left handed safeties amoung other things.

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:27:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Im wanting a semi for 3-gun. This may be the ticket.

If you're thinking of getting serious in 3 gun, I'd look for a shotgun w/ a 20" barrel, minimum.  If this Mossberg is a 20", disregard this post.

But, to be competitive in 3 gun, your scattergun needs to hold 8 or preferably 9 rounds.  That's why most of the competition guns have 22" tubes.  

If you're just going to shoot 3 gun for fun, the Mossberg and it's 7 round capacity should do just fine.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
desertsystms.com/930SPX.jpg
Don't think I will make it out to the range today, but here are my notes:

1. Overall well thought out shotgun, light, trim and well balanced.
2. LPA Sights, need I say more. Some may not like that the rear is removable, but I prefer it. Also allows me to mount a Mini-Red Dot like the Doctor or Burris FireSite.
desertsystms.com/930_3.jpgdesertsystms.com/930_7.jpg
3. Cocked indicator protrudes inside the front of the trigger guard.
desertsystms.com/930_2.jpg
4. Choate Extended Mag tube, some people don't like them, but I have never had a problem with one.
5. Unloading. The bolt release below the ejection port also doubles as a shell stop release. Turn your shotgun on its back, depress the shell carrier and then depress the release. One shell comes out, lift out and repeat till unloaded. Turn it back over right side up and eject the round in the chamber, then inspect for clear.
desertsystms.com/930-6.jpgdesertsystms.com/930_5.jpg

Very nice, and they seem to be listing for less then $550 when you can find them.

What would I like to see added?

1. Dave's Metal Works Over Sized Charging Handle. Not currently availible
2. Stainless High Visability follower. Availible at Brownells I believe, if the 500 models work.
3. Single Point Sling Plate. Availible at Brownells I believe, if the 500 models work.
4. Since it is a semi, maybe a Mesa Tactical Side Saddle. Not currently availible
5. Mesa Tactical Magazine and Barrel Clamps for mounting my M-6X

Looks just like the FN SLP, only ~ $400 cheaper....
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:27:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#11]
You could replace the mag tube with the next size up from Choate. I will extend past the muzzle, but I have seen a few three gunners set up like that.

Sorry, not sheets it's a rug.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 9:55:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Range report ASAP.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 12:16:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks really good! I'm also looking forward to a range report.
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I have about 50 slugs through mine (25 of which are Rem 'reduced recoil' type) and 100 rounds of Federal cheap low base birdshot rounds.  No stoppages or issues so far.  Just make sure when loading that you push the base of the shell in all the way, like you should in any of them.  But the shell carrier does want to 'grab' your thumb so it ll take some retraining as to how to do it.  I looking into the possiblility of cutting that radius on the carrier a little deeper and larger but havent looked at it in detail to see if it can be done without causing a feeding problem.

Link Posted: 10/5/2007 7:52:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Just finished our usual test fire/break in for new guns:

1. Open box
2. Apply lube, today was spray on Rem oil
3. For shotguns we do a mix of slugs (to zero) down to low base fodder all 2 3/4". 200rnds total.
4. Perform various drills on the square
5. Fire from the under arm"assault" position (shotgun only)

Bottom line no malfunctions, good groups and a light fast handling over all package. My 11-87 is now moth balled in the "referance library".

I have previously shown my preferance for the LPA sights. That preferance contionues. The red fiber optic front sight is a great aid to getting on target fast. The rear sight was almost dead on out of the box and adjusted quickly for zero.

I continue to love the Mossberg safety location. My Remingtons have been converted to Left handed Vang Comp oversized safetys, but the tang mounted Mossberg is quicker and more positive, for me at least.

I had previously replaced the follower with a spare high vis. It came off of a Remington, but seems to fit perfectly. I will run it for awhile to check for fit or reliability issues.

I didn't get the "Remington" thumb from the shell lifter. The potental is there, but the cut out seems good enough.

Recoil is always subjective, but seems to be quite manageable.

I did not run it with the breaching barrel, yet just the standard SPX barrel.

I am glad to see Mossberg introduce the 930 SPX. The 930 SPX is a very viable option for a duty shotgun.

The semi's biggest advantage over the pump gun is that they fit the common manual of arms with auto pistols and the carbines coming on line. Vastly over simplified for this disscussion but they are:

Load, aim, shoot, reload.

The semi does this and gives you reduced recoil as a bonus.  I have also seen personel transitioning from carbines to pump shotguns fail to even try and cycle the action. They had the AR's semi action ingrained and simply couldn't remember to pump.

For HARD use you can't bet the pump for reliabilty, nor for versitility. But for average duty use semi's are a good chioce.

For what it's worth, now if I can just get some 12" barrels made
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
DMR, I have an unusual request... could you remove the recoil pad & snap a pic of the inside of the stock?

I ask because I'm close to getting a 930 SPX myself, & I want to see if the stock has enough room to install a recoil reducer.

Thanks much my friend!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Funny I was looking at adding a Edward's reducer to mine. I will try to pull it off tonight, I'm just behind scheaduale on about 6 projects

I am running them in two of my guns now. A Mossberg 500 and an Remington 11-87 and subjectively like them. I don't like to go with the Mercury systems for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to have to deal with mercury contamination should the reducer take a round.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Funny I was looking at adding a Edward's reducer to mine. I will try to pull it off tonight, I'm just behind scheaduale on about 6 projects

I am running them in two of my guns now. A Mossberg 500 and an Remington 11-87 and subjectively like them. I don't like to go with the Mercury systems for safety reasons. I wouldn't want to have to deal with mercury contamination should the reducer take a round.

Great minds think alike... I was leaning towards the Edward's RR as well.

I'll keep an eye on this thread for pics.

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 10/9/2007 3:36:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I ordered two, waiting for my dealer to get them
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#20]
One thing to add,Make sure you check the screws on the rear sight rail.The front 2 screws on mine were finger tight.The only reason I checked them before a shot mine was I have bought 2 mossberg rifles and the weaver mounts on both guns were barely snug out of the box.I put loctite on mine.Don't over tighten them because the front screws are very short,they only has about 5 threads on them.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
I was looking at these, myself.

As soon as someone figures out how to mount a pistol grip on it, I'm all over it.

From what I understand, that's not easy, since the recoil assembly runs back into the stock.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 9:26:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Some 930 variations:

You should be able to get the Edwards unit in here:

And the breaching light we are currently testingmounted on a 500

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:00:37 AM EDT
[#23]
First I've heard of them.

I will be buying one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

As soon as someone figures out how to mount a pistol grip on it, I'm all over it.

From what I understand, that's not easy, since the recoil assembly runs back into the stock.

If you're talking pistol grip only it's not going to happen quickly. If you are looking for a full stock with pistol grip then watch for something from Choate by the end of the year.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 5:37:31 AM EDT
[#25]
  So that's the light you were telling me about on the phone.  I'm working on getting my rifle up, Pete is hard to get a hold of, and am going shotgun shopping today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're talking pistol grip only it's not going to happen quickly. If you are looking for a full stock with pistol grip then watch for something from Choate by the end of the year.

Yes, I meant with a stock. Something like an A2-style with a pistol grip would be great.

It would be even better if the grip was interchangeable with AR grips.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 7:39:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Would recommend you go with a Mossberg 590 (51411-8) 18" 5+1 and full stock you will have to special order it.  For what we were talking about we will set up the kit as we go along. You could also go with the 500 Breacher that they have at Gander. It's the same gun with 500 stamped on it(basicly). They were in stock last time I was there, and we can kit it out later, just sort of going in the other direction from the 590.

If your a glutton for punishment get one of them and the 930 SPX or Tactical. You could also ask the gun smith to see my 870, just back from refinish if your realy bored and don't beat me in today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#28]
 Thanks for the tip!!  However just got called and have to hit a Town Hall meeting.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 9:19:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Call or stop at Pete's after 5:30 Monday through Friday. 493-0478

FYI the 590 model is Item#
51518-4 w/GRS's or 51411-8 My favorite 590

The 500 Tactical Cruiser is Item#54125
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:13:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks that is a totally different number than the one I had.

ETA:  I'll probably end up grabbing two 1 gun for sporting uses and the other for other uses.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 3:29:16 PM EDT
[#31]
thats a sexy bitch
Link Posted: 10/14/2007 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Looks just like the FN SLP, only ~ $400 cheaper....

You know, it really does...

Is there any shared lineage here?  The FN SLP is descended from the Winchester SX2 line, and I've seen varying reports of US Repeating Arms and Browning Gold lineage as well.  I was thinking about picking up a shotgun for 3-gun use, but I seldom get the chance to shoot a match...the Mossberg is at a real nice price point.  Has anyone compared the 930 SPX to the SLP or SX2?
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
The Mossberg 935 3.5" ultimag is a much better 3-gun shotgun than either of these; 24" barrel choke tubes, vent rib, fiber optic bead, and light weight. I have been shooting one of these in 3-gun matches for the last eight months or so. I will be shooting the Area-6 3 gun in November and Benning in December. I will post a range report pics and some video if anyone is interested. I can also post what it takes to get one of these to run anything you feed it from 7/8oz shot to remington managed recoil slugs 1oz @ 1200fps.
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 3:04:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Couldn't I do the same thing with the following 930 barrel:
Turkey 93025 Adjustable Fiber Optic  12 GA. 24" Accu Choke - ULTI-FULL only Matte $172.00
I would have to add differant chokes, but it's the same thing on a 930 3" frame. I would have to go back to chote again for more mag tubes though.......
Link Posted: 10/16/2007 5:30:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

6. A +1 extension to use with the breaching barrel. Waiting on a Vang Comp 590 model to see if it fits. Strike that Choate is making me one tomorrow

Choate does custom stuff?  If so, I might have a little project for them...
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#36]
I got the 590 single point sling adaptor in. No joy. Now that I have the stock off it's a no brainer. There is a "nipple" at the top and the action tube is fatter then the bolt hole on the 500/590's. Now I am going to have to have something made
Link Posted: 10/18/2007 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#37]
    I went to Gander today looking at Safes, and started fondling some Shotguns, I really liked the 590 more than I though I would.  I also liked the 835 Ulti I was checking out too.....deep breath, "Namaste", it will probably have to be both.  Must finish my carbine, then on to shotguns.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 6:06:15 AM EDT
[#38]
DMR:
What is that breaching light?  Looks like something I've been wanting for a while.  Details?
ETA:
I'm looking at a hellacious deal on a 930 now.  The enlarged op handle is something I want as well.  How far off are the dims on the 1187 handles from the 930?  I was wondering if they were close enough that some minor fitment could be done on the 1187 handles so that it would fit in the 930 bolt.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:28:27 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
DMR:
What is that breaching light?  Looks like something I've been wanting for a while.  Details?
ETA:
I'm looking at a hellacious deal on a 930 now.  The enlarged op handle is something I want as well.  How far off are the dims on the 1187 handles from the 930?  I was wondering if they were close enough that some minor fitment could be done on the 1187 handles so that it would fit in the 930 bolt.

If you've found a good vendor price let me know. I'm itching to get one of these as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#40]
Right now I think I'm the only place you can get the light from, and I'm not selling any yet. Once we finish our evals I should be distributing it to interested dealers. We have not ramped up enough for direct sales yet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2007 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Choate mag extinsion is in. Should be the right size for the Mesa Tactical mount.

Link Posted: 10/21/2007 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Right now I think I'm the only place you can get the light from, and I'm not selling any yet. Once we finish our evals I should be distributing it to interested dealers. We have not ramped up enough for direct sales yet.

Well I am definitely interested.  Any ideas on time frame and cost range yet?
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Nice shotgun
Link Posted: 10/24/2007 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone have a number for Dave Metal Works that will get you a person?

I got to talk to him tonight. No plans to add them yet
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#45]
LPA Trinium and Fiber Optic Compared

Link Posted: 10/29/2007 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Is the SPX barrel available by itself?
The only barrel I see available from Mossberg is the 18.5" barrel...
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Not at this time
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/29/2007 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#49]
I'm not an expert on metal finishing, but would guess yes,

Link Posted: 10/30/2007 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top