Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2004 7:51:03 PM EDT
Ok guys,

have any of you ever modified a Side Saddle to fit on an 870 that has the KAC RAS attached?

I know one or both will have to modified to fit on together. Anyone know the pros /cons to modifying one verses the other?

I was thinking of cutting the mounting plate on the side saddle and then where the Ras is, drill/tap for the side saddle screws to be put back in to secure the shell holder to the RAS. anyone tried this?

Close up pics would be great

TIA

Mark
Link Posted: 7/16/2004 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
This is a good question--I am contemplating the same thing.  Jason has a picture of one in his gallery at Argonaut, though I don't know how it was done.  Send him an email and maybe he can help.

http://www.argonautarmament.com/frame_gallery.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2004 11:41:24 AM EDT
[#2]
yes I see it now...that is the 4 shot saddle though. I have the six shot.

I will ask him what he did though.

thanks

Mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 6:28:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Hello All...

I have a 6 round side saddle on my 870 RAS equipped gun right now...what I did was mill a slot down along the back of the side saddle where it overlapped with the RAS. It was just wide and long enough to accomodate the overlap. It worked quite well.

Take care,

Brobee
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 10:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
You can buy the 4-shot sidesaddles from Brownell's.  I believe they are made by TacStar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd rather have the extra 2 rds. thanks though

mark
Link Posted: 7/18/2004 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 7/18/2004 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Jason,

I see by the top that you have an edge that was not milled away. I assume that the relieved cut out allows for the lower part of the RAS to sit in there?

how do the srews hold up afterwards. How deep did you mill it?

Mark
Link Posted: 7/19/2004 7:45:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I will have to go and mic the depth of the cut....I went 10 thou at a time until it was deep enough to fit just right. As far as the screw holes go...I left a little meat with threads on the top of the screw and this seems to be enough to hold it well. (I did wreck the first attempt though...pout pout).

Around the top part that is not milled it was not necesarry to remove any material as it is over the curvature of the 870 receiver and the 870 RAS matches this countour. The slot is only as large as it needs to be. Once you're set up, it only takes about 5 minutes of careful work with the mill.

Take care,

Brobee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top