Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2003 5:09:44 PM EDT
I just bought a 12 ga 870 Wingmaster off of a fellow ARFCOM member. Its well use but cared for. Basically I wanted a forged receiver for the base of my gun. So I have a few questions:

1) Some of the blueing is a bit worn. I would like to kote it with something like they use at Wilson Combat. Colors would be nice, I'm thinking green or gray, but not necessary. I basically want it to be tough as hell and protect the gun. What is the best stuff around and where should I send it if my gun shop can't do it?

2) Basic accesories I will be using in my build are the following:

Butler Creek/Speedfeed pistol grip full length stock

Oversized safety, GG&G side sling adapter, Side shell carrier, 8-shot mag extension (Is that legal still?), barrel shroud (I know, I know not necessary maybe but it does have its use.), and eventually a Surefire forend.

Thoughts? Brands I should look at?

3) What length barrel should I get? Do I get that coated as well?

4) Sights? Ghost rings or just go with the bead?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Adco is offering thiswww.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=130&t=140906&w=searchPop.
I am also currently looking to build or purchase a home defense 870 or 590A1. I'm still in the research phase. I believe Wilson Combat offers a service to upgrade a standard 870 also.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out my web page in the shotgun section. You'll see a 1100 I just finished.
www.thearmsroom.com
The 870 is basically the same conversion.

Here's what I recommend -
Scattergun Ghost Ring Sights
Scattergun 2 Shot Extension with Left Side Sling Mount
Jumbo Head Safety
Speedfeed Stocks - Pistol Grip or Not - Your Choice
Side Saddle

There are other parts available, but in my mind, these are the best.

The labor involved -
Cut barrel to 18"
Solder on Scattergun Front Sight With Tritum
Drill and Tap Receiver For Rear Sight
Gunkote All parts, inside and out - your choice of color.

Total cost of conversion is $600 + $15 shipping. Turnaround is about 3-4 weeks.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 1:44:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the input. But I'm trying to build a somewhat "budget" gun that works well until I decide to invest in a Benelli. Thanks again.

Why only the 2 shot extension and not the 3?

What do you charge for just doing the gunkote?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#4]
If you cut the barrel to 18", the 3 shot extension will overhang.

An 18" barrel is easier to handle than a 21" barrel, which is what you need for a 3 shot extension.

I charge $200 for Gunkoting a long gun.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
A pump can have any extension.  There's no problem with the extension being a few inches longer then the barrel other then handling issues.  I've seen 15 round extensions, these guys were fun to look at when they needed to engage a target through a low port.  Even this long, the shot never touches the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the Wilson Combat "green" Armor Tuff on my 870, looks good, tough as nails, provides lubricity.
Also I recommend the big head safety from Vang Comp, check out their back- boring and/or porting too.

http://www.vangcomp.com/

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#7]
get brownells alumahyde stuff, prolly the same thing that wilson uses but charges 10x for.

dont cut the barrel, just sell it and buy a 20", then a 8rnd extension.

rifle sights would be interesting
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 4:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Home/default.aspx has epoxy baking lacquer, moly/teflon baking lacquer, and aluma-hyde spray-on finish.  All of them are very durable and come in different colors.  If you decide to go with one of the baking lacquers, you will have to bake it before permanently attaching a tritium front sight as on a ghost-ring sight set-up like the Trijicon or Wilson Combat/ Scattergun Technologies sights.  
If you go with a plain or ventilated rib barrel, you can add a tritium bead.  If you go with rifle sights, you can also make them tritium but they won't be as durable as the ghost-rings.
A 18" barrel will be flush with a +2 extension which will give you 6 rounds in the tube.  A 20" barrel will be flush with a +3 extension and a 22" barrel will be flush with a +4 extension.  The 22" barrel comes into play if you have the 21" Turkey barrel and add an extended choke tube.  It comes out right at 22" and fits nicely with a +4 extension.  The 18" barrel will be best for general home defense and such.
I'm not crazy about the oversize safeties but some people love them.  With a regular safety, you can feel when it's off because it is flush with the trigger guard.  With an oversize safety, it's always raised so it's not as easy to fell tactically.
In my opinion, skip the heat shield.  It's added weight that you don't really need.
I agree with the Speedfeed stocks.  They hold 4 extra shells if you need them and they come in regular stocks or full-length pistol grip stocks.
Please let us know how it turns out for you and good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top