Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2012 11:00:56 AM EDT
Gent's,

Between the current production Mark III's and Buckmarks...which one should I buy? Just looking for a good reliable .22lr with the fewest issues (hopefully - no issues), and the best out of the box trigger (crisp, light, creep free). The only other .22lr pistol I've owned was a Walter P22 - that fuckin' thing was a jam-o-matic since day 1 (this was several years ago when then 1st came out)...shit canned that real quick. Therefore, I'm ready to try my luck @ a .22 pistol again...I guess my primary & main concern is reliability.

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate the info guys - purchased a Buck Mark Plus Stainless Black Laminated UDX today

Link Posted: 3/28/2012 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I really like my Browning Buckmarks, reliable, and the most accurate pistols I own. Which is saying a lot when you think how variable & inexpensive .22LR ammo is.

Ruger? I have no personal experience with them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 1:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Both are sweet buckmark will have the best out of box trigger.  You can make the rugers better for not much money.  I prefer the ruger do to more aftermarket and the mags are a little cheaper.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Had the same dilemma last weekend and wound up buying one of the threaded Mk3 22/45's to use as a suppressor host  It's a sweet pistol for the money.  

I also only owned a P22 prior to this, although mine has been rather reliable (amazing, I know).
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 4:37:03 PM EDT
[#4]

I have several Rugers- all MkIIs but they aren't that much different from a MkIII.
Like the poster above said there is a huge aftermarket for the Rugers.
The stock trigger is stiff and has a lot of creep but a $25.00 VQ sear gives you a crisp light trigger.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Ruger.  I own three.  Love 'em all.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Two months ago I would of said Ruger but after sending my new Mark III in twice,....I'd try a Browning.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 5:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Both are excellent.  I own a Buckmark but am considering buying a threaded Mk3 just so I can own one of each.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Both are great guns. Can't go wrong with either.
Link Posted: 3/28/2012 8:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Both are sweet buckmark will have the best out of box trigger.  You can make the rugers better for not much money.  I prefer the ruger do to more aftermarket and the mags are a little cheaper.

And when you flip the spring it is very nice, and free to boot.

ETA: I must have near 10K rounds through my buckmark and it's still going quite strong.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
You can't go wrong either way, I own both and they are both 100% reliable.
They are both more accurate than I am.
The trigger on the buckmark is better.
But the Ruger has more accessories.
They are both as solid as a rock.
The Buckmark is slightly easier to take down and reassemble.
The way I see it, there's only one choice.

"You have to buy both!"

Tommy T.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 7:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
One point to consider, Ruger has stopped taking orders so the Buckmark might be a little easier to get ahold of.
Link Posted: 3/29/2012 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#13]
The browning has the better factory trigger by a mile.   Once you get into aftermarket Triggers for the ruger, all hats are off.   The ruger is better if you mod it.

Either Are very good choices.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a MKII and MKIII, love them both and would not hesitate to recommend one.

On the other hand the Bucks are great pistols as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Both are nice, go what looks and feels best to you.  I went with the Ruger, I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#16]
I love this debate because it has to be one of the most amicable ones in all of gundom .  

I went Ruger.  Either will last long enough for your grandkids to learn to shoot on it.  Ruger Triggers have gotta a bit better than they were when I bought my MKII but I think the Buckmark has the edge from the factory and it's easier to disassemble and less of a hassle to swap out the barrel.

Lipsey's has factory threaded Buckmarks.  Have your local dealer hook up with them.  

Whatever you get, get an Ultimate Cliploader for it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I love this debate because it has to be one of the most amicable ones in all of gundom .  

I went Ruger.  Either will last long enough for your grandkids to learn to shoot on it.  Ruger Triggers have gotta a bit better than they were when I bought my MKII but I think the Buckmark has the edge from the factory and it's easier to disassemble and less of a hassle to swap out the barrel.

Lipsey's has factory threaded Buckmarks.  Have your local dealer hook up with them.  

Whatever you get, get an Ultimate Cliploader for it.

I checked out a video on Youtube and that may be the way to go. Thanks for the info on that. I hadn't seen one before.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
*bump*

Nice Buckmark, Joe!
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:54:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Buckmark over MKIII

JCS
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both and I love them. Can't go wrong with either. Two small advantages the Buckmark has over the Mark II: no magazine disconnect and no loaded chamber indicator. I know you can mod it to get rid of both but those two things bug me. I think the safety on the Buckmark is also superior. Even with all that I find myself shooting the Ruger more often.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd say Ruger, and try to get a Mk2 if you can.  My best friend had a Mk2 with 6 7/8 target barrel, and now I have the exact same model because I loved it so much.  INSANELY accurate.  We were just shooting them together this weekend.

That being said, my mother in law dropped her Browning Buckmark off with me to be cleaned, and I must now own one, LOL.  Gorgeous pistol, seems to be a more modern design then the Ruger, and I like how the action opens up on both sides.  If I acquire it from her I'd like to add a suppressed upper to it.

I will say the two have noticeably different grip angles, so I'd recommend holding them both.  You may like one more than the other - or you may like them both and then want both!  
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have both and I love them. Can't go wrong with either. Two small advantages the Buckmark has over the Mark II: no magazine disconnect and no loaded chamber indicator. I know you can mod it to get rid of both but those two things bug me. I think the safety on the Buckmark is also superior. Even with all that I find myself shooting the Ruger more often.

I think those "features" came along in the Mk3, which is why I recommended the Mk2.  I know my Mk2 doesn't have them.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:02:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think those "features" came along in the Mk3, which is why I recommended the Mk2.  I know my Mk2 doesn't have them.

Yup, meant to type Mark III.
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#24]
I think some of the buckmarks have the mag disconnect safety But it falls out pretty easy w/ the right grip panel off and a mag in it...

I see the OP went buckmark, I was gonna post Get Both

But I do love my Buckmark

Link Posted: 4/12/2012 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Not even a close decision:  go with the Browning
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Buckmark All the way !   I put the Fiber sights on mine and it made it that much better .
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not even a close decision:  go with the Browning

This. Sold my Ruger and now have 2 Buckmarks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 9:35:05 AM EDT
[#28]
neither, S&W 22a talo
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
neither, S&W 22a talo

i really liked that 22a i had it never jammed on me but they dont get talked about on here much for some reason
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Whats the thought on the M&P22?  What material is the slide
made from?
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
neither, S&W 22a talo

i really liked that 22a i had it never jammed on me but they dont get talked about on here much for some reason

its because here people are under the false impression that unless you have a Browning or God forbid a Ruger, that you have junk.  The Brownings are indeed very nice, but they're quite costly.  The Rugers because of reputation for rugged reliability built up over the years with old guns, are now nearly the same price while having less than ideal fit and finish.  The S&W while being cheap, have always had an excellent reputation for reliability, but because they're cheap, people don't bother giving them a second thought.  The S&W Talo I have will eat any ammunition and shoots better than a friends MK III and another friends S&W M41.  They are nice handguns.
Quoted:
Whats the thought on the M&P22?  What material is the slide
made from?

Aluminum alloy
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
I enjoy both my Ruger Mk II and my Buckmark.

The Buckmark was not reliable out of the box, but is now after a few hundred rounds.  I recently removed the mag safety, and did the Heggis spring flip.

I don't think I'd want a Mk III when there are plenty of Mk II pistols out there.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top