Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2009 4:03:11 PM EDT
Hello, 1911 newbie here...

I have a SA Mil-spec that I shot about 400 rounds through.
Looking at websites & my 1911, I've several random questions.

1. Barrel link pin is now loose & coming out.  It was somehow staked to stay in place.
   Does loose barrel link pin matter on accuracy?  
   I guess barrel lockup is done between barrel bushing & lug (top serrations?).

2. Frame & slide fit was tight when it was new.  Now there are plays on side ways & top to bottom.
   Still plays are less than half of my other polymer handguns.
   People do tightening by peening frame rail downwards & squeezing slide rails.
   What is the point of doing this?  Once rails are hammered down & squeezed, won't they go back to loose again later after so many shots?
   I'm curios how long would 'reworked' fit stay?  for how many rounds?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#1]
1. Stake it back it. Or have a gunsmith do it. The pin isn't the more most important piece for accuracy, but it's important. It can't really go anywhere when the pistol is dis assembled, though.

2. Slide to frame fit is the least important thing to gain accuracy. Want more accuracy? Get a name brand match barrel. Get a trigger job. And practice more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:19:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I guess barrel lockup is done between barrel bushing & lug (top serrations?)

Barrel lockup is between the lower lugs and the upper lugs. The bushing just keeps the barrel in place.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Try this trick for the loose pin............it has worked for me in the past.........clean and degrease pin, link and barrel.............put the pin back with red locktite........and let set.........work the link back and forth so just the pin sets in the barrel............I done several this way and they have not come loose..........

Look at a service list of any 1911 smith and you will see "slide to frame tightening" as services they perform..............Match guns and high end ones enjoy an impecable slide to frame fit............This is def a component of "accuracy"............It is normal for a 1911 to have s certain amount of slide to frame slop.........or on any auto pistol for that matter.........how much you can live with is up to you..........You have to ask yourself can I live with the play I have..........what am I using this pistol for?........Match, self defense, plinking etc..............Am I satsfied with the accuracy I am getting.........?..............Yes, eventually all pistols, will shoot themselves loose..........depends on the loads you are using and round count...........my 2 cents..............
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try this trick for the loose pin............it has worked for me in the past.........clean and degrease pin, link and barrel.............put the pin back with red locktite........and let set.........work the link back and forth so just the pin sets in the barrel............I done several this way and they have not come loose..........

Look at a service list of any 1911 smith and you will see "slide to frame tightening" as services they perform..............Match guns and high end ones enjoy an impecable slide to frame fit............This is def a component of "accuracy"............It is normal for a 1911 to have s certain amount of slide to frame slop.........or on any auto pistol for that matter.........how much you can live with is up to you..........You have to ask yourself can I live with the play I have..........what am I using this pistol for?........Match, self defense, plinking etc..............Am I satsfied with the accuracy I am getting.........?..............Yes, eventually all pistols, will shoot themselves loose..........depends on the loads you are using and round count...........my 2 cents..............

Yes, but a VERY small component. If the barrel locks up well and the bushing is tight, you can shoot 1-2" groups at 25 yards with the pistol all day with a floppy slide/frame fit, provided YOU are up to it. Slide/Frame is about 5% of where accuracy comes from according to most 'smiths, and no more than 15% even by the most generous of attributors.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys, thanks for the replies.

I'm learning a lot here.  I will shoot more before I do anything.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 10:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Being as it's a SA Mil-spec, there's probably a lot more working against your accuracy potential than a slightly loose slide-to-frame fit.   More than likely you also have a barrel bushing with visible play between the barrel, bushing and slide, a barrel with the lower lugs over-cut, and a 7 to 8 pound trigger.

Don't worry about the link pin.  It can't go anywhere until you take the barrel out of the gun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 2:53:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but a VERY small component. If the barrel locks up well and the bushing is tight, you can shoot 1-2" groups at 25 yards with the pistol all day with a floppy slide/frame fit, provided YOU are up to it. Slide/Frame is about 5% of where accuracy comes from according to most 'smiths, and no more than 15% even by the most generous of attributors.

"For a reliable and consistent accurate gun, a tight fit is much better than a loose one"
from a master 1911 smith who's name I will leave anonymous..................................

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top