Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2007 8:13:22 AM EDT
So, I'm setting at a buddies house last night and the talk turns to guns.  He starts pulling out pistol boxes from every nook and cranny in the house.    I think one of them was in the cookie jar.

He has a G22, a sweet S&W M60, a 686, and a few Taurus revolvers.  What caught my eye was a mil spec Rock Island .45 that he pulled out.  

What gets me about this is that this guy has known for years about my shooting, reloading, and general interest in guns.  Until last night I didn't know he had all this stuff.  He wants to learn to shoot a handgun and I have agreed to help.

So, I know the RIA are made in the Phillipines and are decent quality.  What's a used one in about 90% condition worth?
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#1]
i paid $300 OTD for a LNIB RIA at my local fun store once; i'd say that would go for about the same

avg going price is ~$400 NIB
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 8:45:00 AM EDT
[#2]
$300 - $350 for excellent condition.  And probably worth every penny.

- AG
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I love mine, {REMOVED - THIS IS NOT THE EE}SGB

It's had the trigger done and the grips are now daimond WWI pattern.

For an out of the box .45, I have to say it has been the best so far for reliability.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 9:30:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.  I accuried it in a trade with a buddy, but a brand new one will run about 350-400
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I got mine 1 1/2 yrs. ago for 299. I liked it so much I got an officers model. It was a bit more than 299.javascript:insertText('');
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 4:06:38 PM EDT
[#6]
When I picked mine up at the gunshow about 3 years ago they were selling on Sunday for $269. If it is used but still NIB I would say it is worth about $250. If it has some rounds through it then about $200.

Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Are the RI's a good platform to 'build a gun' from?  I've got the Springfield Mil-Spec, but want to keep it stock and am considering another inexpensive platform from which to start a 'fun gun' project from replacement catalog parts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
When I picked mine up at the gunshow about 3 years ago they were selling on Sunday for $269. If it is used but still NIB I would say it is worth about $250. If it has some rounds through it then about $200.

img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/RIA1.jpg

3 years ago is a long time.  Your prices are unrealistic then and now.

MSRP was about $320 3 years ago.  You received 16% off of MSRP during your sale.  Which is about right.

MSRP is now around $360 IIRC, with tax out the door at a dealer thats about $390.  You are saying a LNIB one should go for nearly 36% off the outdoor price (assuming a private deal) and one with a few rounds through it should go for only 50% off the out the door price?

Where are you shopping, I would love to get deals like that on nearly new guns.

I would say $300 for a LNIB is more realistic now and a little less for one with lots of rounds through it.

I purchased a High Standard, which is the same gun only rebadged.  Personally I have never had a problem with it.  It feeds hollow points (from Wilson mags) until the last round.  That round always jams.  But it has eaten everything else.

Link Posted: 10/15/2007 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#9]
You can pick one up new. from a well know vendor for $325, for the basic model.
I wouldn't pay much more than that.

Now to the shooting....good to shoot out of the box.  Mine is as good as my springer or colt at 10 yards.  Long-term, they won't hold their value like a colt or springer.
Link Posted: 10/31/2007 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are the RI's a good platform to 'build a gun' from?  I've got the Springfield Mil-Spec, but want to keep it stock and am considering another inexpensive platform from which to start a 'fun gun' project from replacement catalog parts.

I think the RIA Tactical guns are a good buy if you want a gun with bells and whistles.  It has a beavertail, ambi safety and decent sights.  It costs less than adding the stuff yourself.

I have an RIA that I have for projects.  The base gun was a gift.  I'm new to 1911's so this will be a learning experience.  I'm going to try my hand at adding sights, ambi safety and beavertail.  If I mess it up, I'll just reinstall the factory parts and start over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top