Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2007 5:25:51 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with a Rock Island Armory 1911 45ACP Gov't model?  Are they any good.  I saw one at a local gun shop for $325.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend a few more bucks and buy a Springfield WW2 orMilspec, it'll be the best coupla more bucks you ever spent.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 5:31:25 PM EDT
[#2]
There have been some satisfied owners reporting in recently, but I agree with the above poster. The Springfield GI gives you a better deal for just a little more money.
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 7:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
There is nothing wrong with a RIA 1911.

Mine has never failed me.

Although I did eventually end up getting a nicer 1911

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 7:43:37 PM EDT
[#4]
First 1911 style I bought. I now have 5 and a half 1911's. The only thing I didn't like was the trigger pull and hammer bite. Oh and A1 sights. I would say go with the Springfield if you want to leave your options open for customization. Most smiths wont touch RIA pistols. If cost is the only issue. Get the RIA and shoot the crap out of it. Oh and watch out for hammer bite!
Link Posted: 9/21/2007 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've posted these pictures before but I don't mind posting them again if I have to!

ROCK ISLAND WORKED OVER BY MILLER CUSTOM!

Link Posted: 9/21/2007 8:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have one and like it, it's been a little picky on ammo, but it's far from broke in also.

It is what it is, cheap and functional. My plans are to do some basic mods and just play with it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:15:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
There have been some satisfied owners reporting in recently, but I agree with the above poster. The Springfield GI gives you a better deal for just a little more money.

Search this forum; there are a lot of satisfied owners, to include myself. I have more than 2K ball rounds down the pipe with no problems. Check this link for more info on what RIA and Springer owners have to say about products.

forum.m1911.org/index.php?

I will never bash a firearms manufacturer, but I dropped about $300 -$400 more on Springer and Kimber and did not get the reliability I expected.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
if you just want to shoot at the range they're kinda hard to beat.  I know of a custom rifle smith who works as a PD marksman who carries one on duty and so do a few other guys in his department.  He's pretty picky about his firearms and won't sell anything he himself wouldn't own (lol makes expanding his collection really easy too).  He also customizes his own, and there's nothing that you can't do to a RIA than you cant do to a Springfield.

The way I look at it, if you're going to customize a gun get the cheapest functioning one you can, with the difference in price you can buy parts for it and make it better.  It's akin to buying a toyota instead of a lexus.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 4:39:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 10:35:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Save a little bit more money and get a MUCH better gun

S/A

Yes, lots of people have the RIA and are happy with them but
they are lucky, the quality is lacking...
Over time this will show, you will end up having to replace
everything like someone did with the VERY nice custom built
up by Mr. Miller....  
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I love my RIA 1911

first trip to the range with it and i ran thru 200 rds of Winchester "value" pack 230gr FMJ without a single problem,.  the trigger pull is out-damn-standing on my pistol and i do not have the "hammer bite" issue either.

the only thing i did not like was the BIG billboard on the slide,.. so i got a new un-marked Colt slide and put it on with the parts from the RIA slide,...450rds later,. to include the 185gr FMJ and 230gr. JHP's.. i have not had a single problem that could not be solved by getting rid of a shitty/ el-cheapo magazine. (the Novaks and CMC-Shooting Star mags worked great,... the cheap @$$ mags i got from SPG where worthless)

i also installed the Pachmayr grips,.. i had them on a S.A. 1911 "GI" that i had a while ago,..and when i bought this gun i made sure i got another set.

for the S.A. i had paid about 200 bucks more than what i paid for the RIA a few weeks ago,.. there is NO DIFFRENCE in reliability,.fit,. or accuracy that i have noticed.

i am thinking about buying another one if i can find yet another unmarked slide (i REALLY hate that billboard) and sending it out to get a polished cheome finish to match my Desert Eagle.
Link Posted: 9/22/2007 3:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I own a couple of 1911's. Two of them are a RIA and a Springfield Milspec. Out of the box, both have given me wonderful results. They are pretty damn accurate and go bang every time you pull the trigger. The only downsides to the RIA is the banner advertisement on the left of their slide and the smooth grips. Other than that, I think that the RIA is a pretty good entry 1911. If the gun is used, I would pass on it though. That is a decent price on a NIB one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#13]
First of all, I'm very pleased with mine in .38 Super. That said, what do want to do with it? If's it's just going to be a good shooter/beater you can't beat them and you can customize them with just about any 1911 parts. I would not spend a lot to customize one, but that's just me. I made do with a stock 1911A1, small sights, no beavertail, etc. for years and never felt underequipped. Check out the 1911 website for more info. Factory reps post on there all the time and are very responsive to their customers.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine is great. It has been dead reliable ever since I bought it besides for a small extractor tune up needed after several years but nothing big. I think they are a very under rated pistol. Great pistols with great results at a great price. I have done some work to mine but none of it was needed for reliability other than tuning the extractor.

Link Posted: 9/23/2007 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#15]
They make a .38 super?
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I just had a brand new one sent back to the factory yesterday. I shot it for the 1st time last Saturday and got about half of the rounds failing to go completely into battery and the slide locking back with rounds left in the mag. I tried three different mag types and was using factory ammo.
I paid $400 for mine and am quite irritated with it. I had checked out all this great feedback about them and figured a new 1911 was a bargain for that much. I think I'll sell it as soon as it or a new one comes back  
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:20:50 PM EDT
[#18]
I am sure that when you get it or another one back it will be great. Every company is capable of putting out a dudd every now and then and RIA is great with their customer service from the few problems I have heard about.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 7:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I just had a brand new one sent back to the factory yesterday. I shot it for the 1st time last Saturday and got about half of the rounds failing to go completely into battery and the slide locking back with rounds left in the mag. I tried three different mag types and was using factory ammo.
I paid $400 for mine and am quite irritated with it. I had checked out all this great feedback about them and figured a new 1911 was a bargain for that much. I think I'll sell it as soon as it or a new one comes back  

Mine did the same thing, extractor ended up being overly tight. Loosened it up a bit and it works much better, not perfect, but better....got an 18# recoil spring on the way too, see what that does....
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Mine is great. It has been dead reliable ever since I bought it besides for a small extractor tune up needed after several years but nothing big. I think they are a very under rated pistol. Great pistols with great results at a great price. I have done some work to mine but none of it was needed for reliability other than tuning the extractor.

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/CIB%20Pistol/DSCF1306.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/CIB%20Pistol/DSCF1305.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/CIB%20Pistol/DSCF1299.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/CIB%20Pistol/DSCF1301.jpg

i24.photobucket.com/albums/c29/DM1975/CIB%20Pistol/DSCF1303.jpg

Super nice pics.  Yours looks real nice.  But I have to at least goad you on something. you said you don't trust yours after shooting over 50 rounds.  I don't get it.  Some of us have put 5 to 10 times that in a range session with ours and haven't had problems.  And you say that's why you choose a Glock for SHTF.  I'm not trying to start a flame fest but you may be more inclined to use your 1911 and trust it for SHTF if it wasn't something that needed as much care as yours. Meaning, you bought a little better pistol than a $ 325 RIA.  Even my springy milspec made it through 400 rounds in a range session (that was the most .45 I ever shot at one time fwiw) without a hitch.  This is the first time I ever questioned your wisdom on the subject of weapons, and I totally respect you and your service and knowledge, but it's been bugging me and I just had to say something.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Many 1911's require a breakin period before they smooth out.  My RIA took about 100-125 rounds untill it was 100% and it has been 100% ever since.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:20:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Super nice pics.  Yours looks real nice.  But I have to at least goad you on something. you said you don't trust yours after shooting over 50 rounds.  I don't get it.  Some of us have put 5 to 10 times that in a range session with ours and haven't had problems.  And you say that's why you choose a Glock for SHTF.  I'm not trying to start a flame fest but you may be more inclined to use your 1911 and trust it for SHTF if it wasn't something that needed as much care as yours. Meaning, you bought a little better pistol than a $ 325 RIA.  Even my springy milspec made it through 400 rounds in a range session (that was the most .45 I ever shot at one time fwiw) without a hitch.  This is the first time I ever questioned your wisdom on the subject of weapons, and I totally respect you and your service and knowledge, but it's been bugging me and I just had to say something.  

You must also remember why I was having issues and the reason I feel my Glock is more dependable. I have never had a 1911 that would last as long as my Glock has without some issue. And the issue I had with the RIA was after several years of having it I started to have extractor issues with it, which I have already stated, and are fixed now. This pistol has held up better than my Colt did and my Springfield NM did. Do I think my Glock is a more reliable pistol? In the long run yes, but not just better than the rock, but 1911's in general, so please do not take my posts out of context.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must also remember why I was having issues and the reason I feel my Glock is more dependable. I have never had a 1911 that would last as long as my Glock has without some issue. And the issue I had with the RIA was after several years of having it I started to have extractor issues with it, which I have already stated, and are fixed now. This pistol has held up better than my Colt did and my Springfield NM did. Do I think my Glock is a more reliable pistol? In the long run yes, but not just better than the rock, but 1911's in general, so please do not take my posts out of context.

I wasn't meaning to take them out of context.  I was just confusedid.  As my son would say.  I guess if you've had troubles with 3 different pistols of different manufacture, than I totally understand.  I would feel the same way you do.  So sorry about that.  I have not had the same experience as you.  My first 1911 was a springy milspec.  And we shot the pee pee out of it.  And it only malfunctioned once that I could remember and another guy was shooting it.  And it looked to me like he limpwristed it because he was trying to show me how accurate he could be at 100 yards with it.  But I digress.  The thing did have a problem with shooting low, which I fixed, but dang if that thing didn't run like a top.  Mostly FMJ's but it at what little hollow points I gave it and SWC's.  Now I have a Kimber CustomII and it has malf'd more than that one but it was only with a CMC 10 round mag.  Otherwise, it's got over 1K rounds a year and a half old and no problems yet. Didn't lock back on an empty wilson mag once but I don't really consider that a malf. I guess I'll just have to see if you just have bad luck or I'm gonna run into problems too.  

FWIW, my M9 is a year older than my Kimber, has over 3k rounds through it, and I don't remember ever having a jam with it.  I love that pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine did the same thing, extractor ended up being overly tight. Loosened it up a bit and it works much better, not perfect, but better....got an 18# recoil spring on the way too, see what that does....

This is pretty much the point...

You should EXPECT to get what you pay for. ALL production pistols have an associated risk of the consumer receiving a lemon or an issue or two. It could be a $300 RIA, or a $900 Colt. If the company is reputable, the issue should be resolved by the company (but sometimes the extra $ earns you better service). RIA has stepped up their quality from complete shit to ????

At the end of the day you are buying a cast weapon that is a good deal inferior with respect to materials compared to a Springer that costs just a little more. Some people couldn't care less. Some people would buy pot metal garbage (not making accusations of members or manufacturers here at all) so long as they save $75 and it had a fair reputation of going bang. It doesn't make sense to me, but then again, neither does buying 70% of the 1911s sold for <$700 today. That's just me. YMMV
Link Posted: 9/23/2007 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#25]
My RIA never had a jam untill recently with the extractor issues. My Glock however has never had even a minor problem. I have had it for about nine years now and it has proven itself to me. Not sying that all 1911's have problems, and not saying all Glocks are great, but if I had to grab only one pistol it would be my Glock. I would not feel undergunned with my RIA though.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 2:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is pretty much the point...

You should EXPECT to get what you pay for. ALL production pistols have an associated risk of the consumer receiving a lemon or an issue or two. It could be a $300 RIA, or a $900 Colt. If the company is reputable, the issue should be resolved by the company (but sometimes the extra $ earns you better service). RIA has stepped up their quality from complete shit to ????

At the end of the day you are buying a cast weapon that is a good deal inferior with respect to materials compared to a Springer that costs just a little more. Some people couldn't care less. Some people would buy pot metal garbage (not making accusations of members or manufacturers here at all) so long as they save $75 and it had a fair reputation of going bang. It doesn't make sense to me, but then again, neither does buying 70% of the 1911s sold for <$700 today. That's just me. YMMV

Pulpsmack, I've always wanted to ask, do you own an RIA? Have you had a few range sessions with one, cleaned and inspected one after a day at the range or dealt with their costumer service. If not how can you make the statement that RIA is "good deal inferior"? Nothing personal I just want know where you info is coming from.

I own a Colt, a Springer and sold my Kimber (at a big loss out of frustration). I had issues with all 3 out of the box. The quality control and customer service on the Springer was not worth the extra $300 I dropped on the gun. After spending $849 + tax on my first and only Kimber, I had several reliability issues. So after owning and shooting all 4 (Colt, Springfield, Kimber and RIA), I have not come to the conclusion that RIA is a "good deal inferior". If anything owning an RIA has made shooting the 1911 enjoyable again. Nothing more frustrating that spending $700 plus for a gun that doesn't run, or still needs more polishing and tuning.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pulpsmack, I've always wanted to ask, do you own an RIA? Have you had a few range sessions with one, cleaned and inspected one after a day at the range or dealt with their costumer service. If not how can you make the statement that RIA is "good deal inferior"? Nothing personal I just want know where you info is coming from.

Fair question, and one which allows you to "consider the source". I never would own a RIA (given what I own now and other options available), and my direct experience with RIAs are rather limited. My indirect experience however, is a tad different. I have read years worth of accounts of these pistols and have determined through this exposure that the RIA of years past is by and large a crap brand akin to Pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance. I have also read enough accounts to see an upswing in satisfied owners over the years, to determine that RIA has cleaned up their act and churned out a better pistol for what it is.  At the end of the day however, it is made of inferior materials, and that alone is enough to justify the purchase of a SA GI pistol for me.

I own a Colt, a Springer and sold my Kimber (at a big loss out of frustration). I had issues with all 3 out of the box. The quality control and customer service on the Springer was not worth the extra $300 I dropped on the gun. After spending $849 + tax on my first and only Kimber, I had several reliability issues. So after owning and shooting all 4 (Colt, Springfield, Kimber and RIA), I have not come to the conclusion that RIA is a "good deal inferior". If anything owning an RIA has made shooting the 1911 enjoyable again. Nothing more frustrating that spending $700 plus for a gun that doesn't run, or still needs more polishing and tuning.

Understandably so. I have bought two custom shop Colts and had a buddy buy one. Both of mine were so unacceptable that they required refund/replacement, and my friend's required repair on 2 minor issues. That's 3/3 in the repair/replacement pile. In my isolated experience, Colt could be seen as the biggest POS mfg of 1911s under the sun. Now if I go to the FFL and pick up a RIA with no issues, would it reasonable to state that Colt is inferior, especially given the price difference? I am wise enough to know the true picture extends beyond my isolated experience, and have a realistic impression that QC is haphazard and their tooling is such that they cannot consistently produce quality, BUT they still produce a number of quality pistols, the likes of which are far superior to other makes.

So your experience is that RIA is great, and all of the BIG 3 suck. It's understandable why you are rightfully loyal to RIA and it is great to hear that was the company that reawakened your appeal for 1911s. But in the "world view" of production pistols, your experience is but a corner of the big picture. Both RIA and those companies churn out good, great, bad, and shit to various quantities. I submit that the Big 3 has less nasty lemons or weapons with issues/imperfections by proportion (perhaps not significantly less) but more importantly, all things being equal, a "good" SA is a better buy than a "good" RIA for the purposes of materials/workmanship quality, finish, and resale.

Link Posted: 9/24/2007 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#28]
You know if you go to the 1911 forums on other sights they are filled with people that are nothing but satisfied with their RIA's. Not very many complaints at all. In fact it is most all praise.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 4:21:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Can't complain about mine.  Works as well as the Colts, Springfield and Norinco that I have.

Frankly, the Norinco is my fav.  It's pretty beat, loose and rattle-eee, but doesn't complain we brought into service.
Link Posted: 9/24/2007 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#30]
inside 10 yards the accuracy of my RIA is on par with my Kimber Warrior, but out much past that is where I see a difference.  Keep in mind my RIA has been nothing but 100% reliable.  And I could not be happier with it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 10:46:48 AM EDT
[#31]
I could be wrong, but aren't the Springfield GI and Milspec also made with cast frames in the Phillipines?  Not downing anyone's gun, but I had heard that rumor.  I have an RIA that I received as a birthday present.  It's my first 1911 and I see it as a good learning tool.  I primarily use Glocks for CCW anyway, so this RIA will be a range queen only.  It will also be a good gun if I need to arm a friend or family member in a SHTF situation.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 10:52:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#33]
i owned one (traded it off for a G19--nothing against the RIA, but considering the other 1911s i had, it just didnt do anything for me)

most users are happy w/ the RIAs; some obviously have had problems--specifically, out of spec springs
finish wasnt too bad; the machining/metal working was ok

mine worked great for a few hundred rnds; for the price you can get it for, i'd consider it
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 4:47:00 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had a RIA  for about three years now and the only complaints I have had with it was the grips were to thick and the recoil spring was to lite. Both problems were easily fixed though. The grips were replaced with Falcon grips and the spring has been replaced with a Wilson 18 1/2 lb power spring. I know it is not a Kimber or any other high end 1911 but I am happy with it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#35]
The stock recoil spring works very well for Wolf .45ACP

I have about 1.5K through mine with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 9/29/2007 6:40:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the good info but the urge for the RIA has come and gone due to unexpected vet bills.  PETS!!!  Thanks again for all the good fedback.  Did go to a gun show this weekend and viewed several other 1911's.  I love this website!
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#37]
I would consider one if I found a killer deal and needed a beater gun. If the price was very close between that and an SA, I'd opt for the SA though.
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 5:37:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a RIA that is as reliable as my colt and SA....no issues with any of them.  

I'm not the best test case, but if you blind folded me and asked me to shoot it.  From the feel, I probably couldn't tell if apart from my other 1911's.

Kids, don't try this at home. :D
Link Posted: 9/30/2007 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#40]
i love my .38 super. tight tolerance and great feel,
Link Posted: 10/5/2007 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine's been 100% reliable right out of the box. Trigger is excellent and it's pretty accurate too.

SAGI, Colt 70 Gov, RIA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top