Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2011 8:30:18 AM EDT
I've had the Colt 1980 XSE on order since January 2011.     My local FFL dealer has been working his tail off trying to find one through the distributors he deals with has has been unable to locate one.     I was initially told Colt would be producing these guns around April/ May, and was later told this was pushed back into May/ June.      

About 2 weeks ago, I was told the distributor was supposed to receive 4 of the 1980XSE's from Colt and that I would get one of them.     Yesterday, my dealer called me and said that his distributor did not get any of the ordered pistols because Colt has not even produced them yet.

So here's the question folks...   should I keep waiting, or should I have my dealer order a Springfield Armory MC Operator 1911?    The Springfield has some extras such as tac rail, tritium night sights, lowered/flared ejection port and an upswept beavertail safety over the Colt 1980XSE.    

I like the Colt because its simple, but I've grown extremely tired of waiting for Colt to produce more of them.    I've already waited 7 months and it's unknown how much longer the wait will continue.    I could understand waiting for a custom, or even semi-custom 1911, but the 1980XSE is a stripped down, regular production model.  

When it comes right down to it, which is the better pistol, and why... the 1980XSE, or the MC Operator?

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 8:39:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've had the Colt 1980 XSE on order since January 2011.     My local FFL dealer has been working his tail off trying to find one through the distributors he deals with has has been unable to locate one.     I was initially told Colt would be producing these guns around April/ May, and was later told this was pushed back into May/ June.      

About 2 weeks ago, I was told the distributor was supposed to receive 4 of the 1980XSE's from Colt and that I would get one of them.     Yesterday, my dealer called me and said that his distributor did not get any of the ordered pistols because Colt has not even produced them yet.

So here's the question folks...   should I keep waiting, or should I have my dealer order a Springfield Armory MC Operator 1911?    The Springfield has some extras such as tac rail, tritium night sights, lowered/flared ejection port and an upswept beavertail safety over the Colt 1980XSE.    

I like the Colt because its simple, but I've grown extremely tired of waiting for Colt to produce more of them.    I've already waited 7 months and it's unknown how much longer the wait will continue.    I could understand waiting for a custom, or even semi-custom 1911, but the 1980XSE is a stripped down, regular production model.  

When it comes right down to it, which is the better pistol, and why... the 1980XSE, or the MC Operator?

I would get the Springfield.  Solid reputation and customer support.  You could have it tomorrow, depending on how much you feel like paying.

I cant speculate as to which is better, but I wouldnt want a pistol that was rushed out of the factory, a month from now.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Frankly, I wouldn't wait that long either.  
Unless your FFL is giving you an outrageous deal, either of those pistols can be bought in a week.

If you have been holding out for the Colt, get the Colt.  Buying a different pistol will be nice for a bit, but you will eventually want the Colt.

Colt uses less MIM if that is an issue for you.
S.A. customer service is top notch

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Frankly, I wouldn't wait that long either.  
Unless your FFL is giving you an outrageous deal, either of those pistols can be bought in a week.

If you have been holding out for the Colt, get the Colt.  Buying a different pistol will be nice for a bit, but you will eventually want the Colt.

Colt uses less MIM if that is an issue for you.
S.A. customer service is top notch

I was quoted $925 out the door for the Colt 1980 XSE Gov't.     New supplies on Gun Broker and similar sites has seemingly dried up, and used guns are $850+ for a gun with unknown problems.     I'm not dead set on the Colt, would probably be perfectly happy with the Springfield if I got it instead.      The Springfield comes with night sights which I was planning on adding to the Colt at some point anyways.

I'm not too scared by MIM parts if they're done properly.    From my research, it seems both Colt and Springfield have good customer service if something does take a dump.
My dealer is checking availability of the MC Operator and will get back with me today regarding $$$.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=247083479

Would have been about the same price and the only wait would have been from fedex
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 2:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The Colt XSE has a lowered/flared ejection port, and upswept beavertail. The Colt Rail Gun has a rail like the MC Operator. The only thing you won't get on the Colt that the Springfield has are night sights.

I looked at a Springfield Loaded and Colt Rail Gun when I was shopping for a 1911. The hammer on the Colt was less skeletonized, and seemed nicer to me, and while the trigger had some lateral wiggle, it broke crisper than the Loaded. I also liked the notch cut under the trigger gaurd on the Rail Gun. The Loaded on the other hand, had Trijicon night sights. The Loaded's mainspring housing was checkered and metal vs the Rail Gun's which had vertical cuts only and was polymer. Also their was less gap between the frame and beaver tail on the Loaded. (I was looking at an American made Springfield Loaded, the only one I've ever been able to find in a store).

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't have any experience with the colt, but I just purchased a springfield lightweight operator and couldn't be happier.
Fit and finish are A+ . Also knowing if anything ever goes wrong, you can send it back to springfield and they'll make it right is just
icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 4:26:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been just as happy with Springfield as I have with Colt.

Get the Springfield.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 4:27:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Must it be the blue version,(1980XSE) or would stainless steel(1070XSE) be sufficient? I know of a dealer with the 1070XSE on the shelf right now.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 3:58:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Must it be the blue version,(1980XSE) or would stainless steel(1070XSE) be sufficient? I know of a dealer with the 1070XSE on the shelf right now.

I'd really prefer to get a blued gun, or something with a darker color.   I have a stainless Beretta 96 compact and I find the stainless finish is a bit too flashy for my tastes.     Nothing wrong with stainless for the folks who like the looks... it's just not for me.

My dealer is checking his distributors to see price and availability for the Loaded MC Operator.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:52:04 PM EDT
[#10]
A Colt on order or a Springfield in the hand......

I'd choose the MC Op. It's one of their best mid-level guns.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt has more demand than production. I was told factory out put per month by a distributor. The numbers are way lower than you'd expect.

Your dealer has a good connection with Colt or he doesn't. Have been months getting guns from one source and find another with in stock availability.

As far as Colt's release dates on new production. Well that's kind of like predicting Missouri weather. Hit and miss.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 8:58:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I sure hope Colt gets their stuff together... I have the money saved for a new 1911 and it's burning a hole in my pocket.    I'm probably going to be the owner of a new SA Loaded MC Operator if the price is right.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 7:51:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both Colt and Springfield pistols.  I don't think I could choose one brand over the other, honestly.  They both make quality pistols and I don't think you could go wrong with either one.  That being said, you may want to look into a Colt Combat Elite.  They are similar to the 1980XSE, but the frame is stainless, they have a NM barrel and a single sided safety.  If you don't mind the stainless frame, it may fit the bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top