Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2004 3:36:48 AM EDT
I am looking at a Remington Rand 1911 45. I've done some preliminary research and everything I see so far show these pistols with a black or blueish finish. The one I'm looking at has a green parkerizing finish. Do any of you think this is an original finish or a refurb of somekind? An help or additional links would be helpful. I go most of my info from: www.coolgunsite.com/ better known as www.1911info.com I have printed the serial number lists out to take with me in hopes of IDing the gun and putting a date of manufacture on it. I will be looking it over tonight. The last time I saw it was about 5 years ago. Also, what do you think the gun would be worth in say some where from 80% to 90% condition? TIA.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#1]
wow, 20 years ago, I had one of those on active duty.... it was a grey park job on it.
good luck!
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 5:05:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the better ones were made from like 1942 to 1945 IIRC. I have talked to a Vietnam Vet who remembereed being in Saigon and had a green parked Remington Rand 45 he bought of the Saigon black market. So I know they existed with green parkerizing even back then which I'm guessing was probably sometime between 1970 to 1974 maybe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Have heard of green parkerizing being vietnam re-works.  If thats the case i doubt if the serial numbers will match, but im not sure.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2004 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I carried a Colt in the service in the late 1960’s and it had a grey finish.  I never saw a green 1911.

Keep in mind that just because it’s got a Remington Rand marked slide doesn’t necessarily mean it’s got a Remington Rand frame.  Take the SN’s for all the manufacturers with you.

You can also double check things by the inspector’s initials, which are on the frame below the rear of the slide stop.  A Reminton Rand will probably have “FJA” for Lt. Col. F.J. Atwood.  However, he also worked at Ithaca and Union Switch and Signal.

Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#5]
UPDATE: I looked at it last night. The 5 years since I've seen it has changed my memory of it. It's not green but a dark grayish brown. From all the pictures I've seen on the net, it looks all original. The number match as well ast the proof marks. It's a Type 3 made in 1943 according to the info I have in my hands. My question now is does anyone think she's worth $800.00? Keep in mind I live in Massachusetts and 1911 45's are hard to get thanks to our lovely .Gov and all the democrats out east of me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:44:38 AM EDT
[#6]
An all original 1911A1 with frame and slide from the same manufacturer and numbers that actually match in 85% or so condition is more than worth that price, even  somewhere other than Massachusetts. Given the state of the state there, I'd jump on it, but now your problem is that this is a pretty rare bird, so keep it in very good condition because it will certainly appreciate in value.

Nice find!
Link Posted: 8/5/2004 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
An all original 1911A1 with frame and slide from the same manufacturer and numbers that actually match in 85% or so condition is more than worth that price, even  somewhere other than Massachusetts. Given the state of the state there, I'd jump on it, but now your problem is that this is a pretty rare bird, so keep it in very good condition because it will certainly appreciate in value.

Nice find!

Excellent thanks for the info. I think I may make him an offer later today.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top