Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2010 5:24:05 AM EDT
I used to consider my self lucky when it comes to Taurus handguns.  Among all of my handguns, 3 of them are made by Taurus - a 617 revolver, .380 TCP and the 709 Slim.
I got the Slim probably 3 months ago, and read several bad comments about it.  Like I said, I used to consider my self lucky. My 709 had about 400 rounds trough it and no failures.  Last Saturday, I went to the gun range, and got a box of factory ammo - PMC 115 grain - the same brand I always use for the range.  Started shooting the 709 and before I could empty the second magazine, the slide locked back and would not move forward. I removed the magazine and inspected the gun, guide rod seems to be damaged and the gun is not operational.  I know I should be writing this on the Taurus forum, but I wanted to put it here, because I think not a lot of people read the Tarurus forum.  My message is – DO NOT TRUST YOUR LIFE ON TAURUS 709. Stay away from it !!!!
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 5:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
2 brands i will not purchase, Taurus and Para.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:39:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like the only decent Tauruses are their copies of the M92 and 1911.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry about your 709, that's bad news.

I think there have been a few other threads about the 709 and it's problems  here pretty recently.

ETA

This is the thread I was remembering.  It's about Taurus products in general.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=94735&page=2

This is the one about the 709.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=95429
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I could say I'm shocked, but I'd be lying.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I will try to send it back to the Taurus, get it fixed and get rid of it.  In the meantime, my banged up Kel-Tec PF9 takes the "small 9mm job" again.  The Kel-Tec has a bad grip and horrible trigger, but has nearly 3 x the number of rounds the 709 had with no malfunctions.  I guess I should quit complaining and buy a Kahr instead..
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 7:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I will try to send it back to the Taurus, get it fixed and get rid of it.  In the meantime, my banged up Kel-Tec PF9 takes the "small 9mm job" again.  The Kel-Tec has a bad grip and horrible trigger, but has nearly 3 x the number of rounds the 709 had with no malfunctions.  I guess I should quit complaining and buy a Kahr instead..

It would be nice if you can follow-up and report the reason for the failure…
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be nice if you can follow-up and report the reason for the failure…

The only thing I see wrong inside is the guide rod, which seems to be bent. When I put the gun together again and try to pull the slide back, it wont go all the way back. It stops in the middle of the way, and the slide wont go forward either, unless pushed in that direction. Its kind of hard to describe since I am no gunsmith. Pulling the trigger makes the slide move back about 1/2 inch or so. Its really weird.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You can add KelTec in there for me along with Taurus.  I've had 4 of their crappy products and will never own another unless the dealer I buy it from gives me a 30 day money back guarantee and enough ammo for me to prove it works to my satisfaction.  And since no dealer is going to do that, I'll never buy another one.  Life is too short to buy crappy guns.

Link Posted: 5/24/2010 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Sux to hear about that man. I would have it fixed and sell it for something that your life can depend on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sux to hear about that man. I would have it fixed and sell it for something that your life can depend on.

I am thinking Kahr or PPS - but the PPS is a bit large if compared to Kel-Tec PF9 , Taurus Slim(ebag) and Kahr PM9.  I dont think there are any other options for a small pistol in 9mm.  I do have a Ruger LCP - but I don't like the .380 acp very much...
Link Posted: 5/24/2010 6:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Kahr PM9.  I dont think there are any other options for a small pistol in 9mm...

Fixed that for ya
Seriously, though, I carry a PM9 every day but I'd give the PPS a long look if I were buying today.  
Bummer about the Taurus.  I have a Taurus .357 Tracker revolver that is flawless, but I'm not going to defend their autos.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yep. My 1911 has been excellent.
Link Posted: 5/26/2010 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Taurus 94 9-shot .22 LR revolver for a range/loaner gun, other than that I'm staying away from Taurus.

I was at a gun show a month or so ago and there was a guy walking in the door with a case "Taurus 709 - $275" on the outside. I thought about it, then I thought again. Then I passed. Not for guns I'll bet my life on.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

You can add KelTec in there for me along with Taurus.  I've had 4 of their crappy products and will never own another unless the dealer I buy it from gives me a 30 day money back guarantee and enough ammo for me to prove it works to my satisfaction.  And since no dealer is going to do that, I'll never buy another one.  Life is too short to buy crappy guns.

At least kel-tec is honest and tells you the gun was designed for last for 5,000 rounds. I'd call that a Clue as to what your buying.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 2:56:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Only Taurus's I had that were worth a shit was an original MD 85 and a 5 shot .357 stainless ported. Both worked great. Sold both for S & W.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Friends don't let friends buy Taurus handguns..................
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:19:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't even shoot it when it comes back, trade it in where you bought it, they sold it to you. Doesn't matter if they give you 10 bux your rid of it and maybe learned a good lesson.
Link Posted: 5/27/2010 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had a customer bring back a taurus 1911 to go back to the factory for repair.  Within the first box of ammo the safety flew off of the gun when he was firing it.  I would not trust ANY Taurus personally
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never been impressed with anything made by Taurus.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a guy bring in what was his first handgun, a .45 acp striker fired Taurus of  some sort.  I don't really keep up with the model numbers. Might have been a 145. He said it quit working before the first mag was empty.

The firing pin block is "L" shaped and the leg that the trigger bar presses on snapped off so the block never became depressed and let the firing pin through.

I can understand if an extractor or something normal that sees abuse or whatever shows wear or breaks, but this piece?  

Link Posted: 5/31/2010 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#22]
that sucks to hear.  

I bought a 709 about 2 months ago.  So far, 250 rounds and not one FTE or other issue and I am shooting white box Winchester FMJ, except for one mag of HP just for a test.

I still carry my Glock 26 on and off with the 709 and mostly carry the 709 when wearing cargo shorts and need to drop in my front or leg pocket.

I won't be fully comfortable with it till I get to 500 rounds though.

I hope you get your issue resolved.
Link Posted: 6/1/2010 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Update - the dealer where I got the 709 sent it back to the factory - they told me to expect at least 6-7 weeks to hear back from them.  I made a decision to get rid of all my remaining taurus guns - a 617 revolver and a TCP pistol.   Traded them for a Kahr CW9 and another LCP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top