Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2003 5:00:02 AM EDT
Need some suggestions and ideas here to make sure I am not over looking anything.

My wife's current carry gun is a Glock 26. She has had it for about 6 years now. She like it, but decided she needs/wants something different. Its just not what she really wants. Her haous gun is a Glock 34 wich she loves. The G26 is up for sale.
She looked at a new compact SW99 9mm at the store yesterday and really liked it. She really lke the trigger better than her G26, and she likes that it would still be similar to her G34 in as far as the location of the controls. She is a lefty and also like the ambi mag catch on the SW99. We are also considering a compact XD9. Have to find one for her to handle and see. Thats the main two right now. She would prefer it to be as close in operation to her G34, so that she doesnt have 2 different manual of arms to learn. Are thoughts or suggestions on anything on the market that I am forgetting?
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Has she ever shot a revolver? The ultralight snubbies are very nice carry guns.
If she's set on a pistol she should check out the Kahr K9 or K40 DAO. I also really like the Para-Ord LDA compacts.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out the Polymer framed Kahr's. Linda just switched from a Model 36 S&W to a Kahr P40.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#4]
She looked at a K9 Kahr a while back, but if I remember correctly, the slide was a little hard for her to pull back. I had forgotten about them though, so we will try one again and see.

She started out on and old M60 Ladysmith. She really liked it but prefers an auto now.

Not sure what is up with the 26. She just cant shoot it that well. We went shooting yesterday and she just couldnt get things wehere she wanted them. She does fine with her 17 and 34. Just something about the 26. We both like the grip safety on the XD for that little bit of added insurance. Also, as mentioned, the grip angle on the XD9C and SW99C are a bit different than the G26.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 2:15:40 PM EDT
[#6]
She tried my dads and doesnt really care for the trigger, and the area around the beavertail bothers her hand during recoil.
She shot a friends H&K P7 and just LOVED it. We just cant afford one right now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 3:22:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Makarov?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Makarov?

Yup,  They point like your index finger...a sweet gun if ya shop around a bargain too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
..Not sure what is up with the 26. She just cant shoot it that well. We went shooting yesterday and she just couldnt get things wehere she wanted them. She does fine with her 17 and 34. Just something about the 26. We both like the grip safety on the XD for that little bit of added insurance. Also, as mentioned, the grip angle on the XD9C and SW99C are a bit different than the G26.

She probably does better with the longer sight radius of the 17 and 34, and changing to another short-sight radius pistol may not help that. What about sights, is she using the stock "ball in bucket" sights? How about grip? Can she get a comfortable grip on the 26 with or without a mag/grip extension? She might want to check here for recommendations. My $0.02. I dunno, it just sucks to have to change after 6 years, especially if it might be because of something she'll experience with *any* sub-compact. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:10:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My wife likes her compact XD 9mm! she shot the Glock's also but liked the XD better!
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
She went and looked at Some Kahr's today. Liked them ok, but when she compared them to the SW99, she just liked it better. She is really stuck on it I think. As soon as we can find a Compact XD for her to check out, I think that will make the decision for her. It will be one or the other.
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
who makes compact XD 9 mm?      how much? vs price and size of SW99?
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:25:46 AM EDT
[#13]
depending on how she likes revolvers she may want to consider one.  they are more simple and you dont have to worrie about jams and other problems assoiciated with auto's.  i have a taurus 617 .357 7 shot and although that may be to heavy for a woman it is a nice reliable piece.  even with a 2 inch barrel i can still hit a man sized taget at 50 yards. just some thing to consider.  (taurus has life time warantee)
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Stick with Glocks and buy a 19. Don't want her confusing controls. I used to be a 1911 guy and all my handguns were 1911 variants. Now they are all Glocks, I have six of them. Remember the saying, "beware of the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it." I would change that to, "one type of gun."
Link Posted: 7/24/2003 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Stick with Glocks and buy a 19. Don't want her confusing controls. I used to be a 1911 guy and all my handguns were 1911 variants. Now they are all Glocks, I have six of them. Remember the saying, "beware of the man with only one gun, he probably knows how to use it." I would change that to, "one type of gun."

She had a 19 and ditched it for the 34.
I agree with the keeping things familiar theme. I am BIG on that myself. Fotunately, the XD and SW99 are both almost identical in operation to Glocks, overall. I think that the slight difference in grip angle and size/shape between the G26 and the SW99/XD9 is what makes the diff for her.
As for the revolver suggestions, she started out on J frame S&W's, and liked them, but ever since she moved to auto's, she hasnt wanted to go back to a revolver.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 12:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll second the Sig P239, however the first thing you need to do is get rid of the factory grips-they're trash. I installed the Hogue "finger groove" grips on mine and it made a 100% difference in feel and accuracy (the factory grips are kinda slick plastic and a little palm sweat made it jump around in my hand) Also, mine is a .40 and my advice for the little lady is to go with the 9mm. The .40 has a real recoil and muzzle jump. My GF refuses to shoot it-and she likes to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm kind of partial to the Walther for a womans purse gun, but big $$$$$.

Tj

BTW, a .38 snub survives well in a purse and does the job nicely close up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Although I'm a Makarov fan my wife loves her Taurus Ti 5 Shot revolver...I bought her a Galco pocket holster.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 2:45:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Find her a nice used SIG P225.

Sweet compact piece.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey Hawkeye, are you selling that G26 on the EE, or locally?  

My wife loves everything about my G27, except the caliber.  Also one of the few autoloaders that she can rack the slide on.  The lighter hitting 9mm version would be perfect for her.

Please let me know.
Link Posted: 7/25/2003 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Hey Hawkeye, are you selling that G26 on the EE, or locally?  

My wife loves everything about my G27, except the caliber.  Also one of the few autoloaders that she can rack the slide on.  The lighter hitting 9mm version would be perfect for her.

Please let me know.

Yes, it is up on the EE. I have a guy that is looking at it and her 17 this sunday. I think he really wants the 17. If he does, and passes on the 26, we can work something out.
Drop me an Email.
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Hawkeye,
For consideration in an auto vs. a revolver:
the auto usually has more rounds 6-10) vs the revolver (5-6); the trigger pull on the revolver is usually heavier, because most will be double action; depending on the revolver make/model and caliber chosen, the second shot accuracy will/may be a factor, that is, in mag calibers, the second shot is many times a flyer because the person has trouble getting the second shot on target with the recoil involved. The revolver in a small concealed carry is USUALLY a shorter sight radius, than the auto; the revolver seldom jams, especially vs. the cheaper autos and especially with HJP's; carrying the revolver vs the auto, the revolver safety features are USUALLY better/more reliable or less likely to be compromised when deploying the weapon. With the auto, a reload involves a second mag (more easily concealed) vs. the speed loader that is sometimes awkward to carry concealed with the revolver and in concelaed carry, involves a more intricate deployment to reload. The revolver is ready to shoot when loaded, the auto, depending on the person carrying it, may/or may not be racked and loaded, and racking the slide is difficult on some auto models .
RugerCal480 (Mike)
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Come on now Hawk. You know she like the 99 so just get it. That's where you'll end up anyway. This isn't going to be the last handgun for her and she can get the XD next month.

Then you can let her play with a REAL model 19 and she'll get rid of all them brass flingers.

Season's score to date: 1 Tropical depression missed me. How about your's?
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 6:59:46 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Come on now Hawk. You know she like the 99 so just get it. That's where you'll end up anyway. This isn't going to be the last handgun for her and she can get the XD next month.

Then you can let her play with a REAL model 19 and she'll get rid of all them brass flingers.

Season's score to date: 1 Tropical depression missed me. How about your's?

As a matter of fact, she is leaning HARD towards the SW99C. Everytime he goes into the store she looks at it. I really think she likes the way it feels in her hand. And believe it or not, this is the only handgun she wants. She wants her G34 as her house/shtf gun, and the SW99C as her carry gun.

As for the real 19, I had one, a 58 manufacture, she did like shooting it. As I said, she started out on my old 36, then bought her own 60 Ladysmith. Then she moved up to the Glocks. Now that she shoots auto's there is no turning back. I have mentioned to her more than once about going back to one, and getting on of the newer J frames. Last time I mentioned it, I got a, well, not so friendly look and response. That idea will NOT be brought up by yours truly again.

We had trop dep. #7 form exactly 5 miles off Jax beach yesterday afternoon. Was kinda freaky. Nothing, then all of a sudden, bam, there it was. It gave us a bit of rain, but moved north into GA. Didnt have time to really strengthen much, so it wasnt a big deal.
We are in for a truly record season though. This could be Jacksonville's year, as we are WAY overdue for one.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:09:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Do you think she'd be interested in her .40 S&W to a .357Sig?  I just did this...The recoil seems more controlable IMHO, and it only costs 120 bucks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:14:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Do you think she'd be interested in her .40 S&W to a .357Sig?  I just did this...The recoil seems more controlable IMHO, and it only costs 120 bucks.

She has the 26, which is 9mm. She really likes the 9mm and wants to stay with that. Thats what her 34 is in, and she is all hot to troo to get a 9mm CX4 Storm.
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#27]
IM sent on the G26, with my email address
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top