Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2007 7:38:41 AM EDT
I am looking for a handgun that my small wife 5ft2 120 lbs would shoot.  I can't let her shoot my department G19 but wouldnt mind getting one for her.  I dont want to go much above $500.  Maybe a Kahr CW or E series?  She shot my old G23 and shot it well that is why i lean towards a 19.   Maybe a CPO Sig?   I don't want to go smaller than 9mm.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:51:22 AM EDT
[#1]
If she shot the 23 and liked it, then I think the 23 or 19 would be fine.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:06:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The Beretta M9. I shot one last night. It's been added to my wish list. Great sights, trigger and action. Grouping is fantastic. Honestly the best 9mm I have shot.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:20:12 AM EDT
[#3]
My personal favorite for 9mm is Sig Sauer.  She liked the Glock because it was reasonably light.  I just worry about trigger pull.  I though about S&W police trade ins but still haven't decided.  It will probably be a glove box / range gun as she works in a hospital.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Glock 26 or 19.

Link Posted: 11/30/2007 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
I would check out some of the Kahr 9mm guns, like the P9 or PM9.

In the SIG line, look at the 228 and 239, or even an older P6/225. The P6 West German Polizei pistols are pretty cheap right now. I have seen them as low as $325-350 (used).

If you go with HK, look at the P2000 and the P2000SK.

Good luck mate.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Since your wife is okay with the Polymer framed pistols this would probably be totally different.  My wife preferred the weight of a steel framed pistol.  

My wife does not like the polymer framed pistols.  She says they are too snappy.  Or they are harder for her to control and she feels more recoil.

The CZ75 seemed to fit both our hands and was the easiest for us to control.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=49957

The other day my wife and I were at the gun store trying out a few more pistols to see how they felt/fit our hands.  My wife could not operate any slide mounted safeties.  She had no problem with a 1911, CZ, or Browning High Power.  The Beretta 92 was too large in her hand.  She said it felt like she was holding a coke can.  

Just our experiences.  Take them for what you want.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:05:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I love questions that have the answer already built-in.

Get her a G19.

I can't wait to get back working with an agency so I can buy Glocks at LE rate again.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#9]
If this is primarily for personal defense, then I'd recomend the same thing I'm giving my daughter for the purpose - a Ruger SP101 short barrel.  Mine is a .357 but I'm going to have her practice with 38 specials and provide Corbon 38 Special +P 125 grain hp's.

There are a lot of reasons for the reliability of the revolver - I'm sure you are aware of them all.

If the autoloader fails to fire at the critical moment, will your wife be trained well enough to do a tap, rack & bang drill?

That reminds me, I need to get a speedloader for her as well...
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:21:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I would recommend speed strips over the speed loaders but to each his own.  i just find that they tend to not fit for me when i try under stress.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]
My sister loves the Kahr, it fits her hand alot better than my Glock 23, i would recomend you take her to the fun store and let her handle some and see first off what fits her naturally and she is prone to. Then you can weed them out with reliability and practicality.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:31:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I tried to get my wife to shoot the Glock 19 and Browning Hi-Power, but she kept gravitating to my S&W Model 65 revolver with 3-inch barrel. Much to my displeasure, she now refers to my M65 as "her gun." I guess I'm going to have to buy another one.

So . . . don't overlook revolvers. If my wife is any example, some women respond well to the simplicity of "pull trigger - bang."
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I love questions that have the answer already built-in.

Get her a G19.

+1. The recoil on that G23 is a little snappy for my tastes, and ammo price is another consideration.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:33:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:51:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Her shooting it well and often is what will make me happy.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I found my wife's hands were too small for her to get a proper grip on the Glocks.  She'd have a thumb on the backstrap and her whole palm on the right side of the grip.

The Kahrs have a very short distance from backstrap to trigger.  The trigger pull is a long, light DA.  The steel framed K9 or T9 sounds like a very good candidate to consider; the frame will help tame the recoil, the trigger is quite manageable, and likely she'll be able to get a proper grip on the gun.  

The 9mm chambering will mean a relatively light recoil spring, which will be easier for slide manipulation -- another area where ladies tend to encounter difficulty.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#17]
After she tried my own pistols, made three visits to different gun shops, rented some pistols, had a fancy lunch out....... My wife settled on a Taurus 85SS snubbie as her favorite. She shoots it very well even taking into account it has a 2" barrel. It's a great little revolver.
She just applied for her carry permit today too.
If it gets her to the range with me more often, I'm a happy guy!

She just liked the simplicity of a revolver. And she's a natural with a DA trigger. It was a great fit for her.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#18]
of those choices (sig cpo, glock, kahr), G19 hands down
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#19]
My wife carries either a .357 snub or a Kimber .45. Everyone likes something different.

The Glock 19 is a little big still for small hands
Springfield XD is a little smaller, and has a better grip angle.
Sig 239 is nice, but is DA/SA (DAK is available though)

Best advice is to take here somewhere where she can handle a bunch of guns, see what fits her hand to narrow down the selection, and then rent a few.  

Don't be surprised if she likes 1911s though, a lot of women like the single stack grip and low recoil (more push than snap) of the .45.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:12:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
My wife carries either a .357 snub or a Kimber .45. Everyone likes something different.

Best advice is to take here somewhere where she can handle a bunch of guns, see what fits her hand to narrow down the selection, and then rent a few.  

Don't be surprised if she likes 1911s though, a lot of women like the single stack grip and low recoil (more push than snap) of the .45.

Dang. You just reminded me of something that's funny.
One time at the range my wife tried out a couple of my Mak varients. She didn't like them at all. The "snap" in the recoil really hurt her little hands. The rest of that trip she only used our PT745 and my XD 45 because they were "really comfortable" to shoot. That cracked me up. My little lady thinks 45s are comfortable! But when you look at the physics, I believe she's right. The recoil is a shove vice a "snap". But she doesn't care for the complication of semi auto pistols. So her first pistol of her own is a revolver.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#21]
try out a S&W M&P with the small grip insert for smaller hands.  it is a very smooth shooter
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:07:35 PM EDT
[#22]
my darling wife went with a ruger p345 for her 1st.
she wants a sig in.45 for her next.
i just picked up a sprinfield 1911 for myself.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#23]
i did a thread on this a while back, lots of great input from everyone, i bought her a sig 239 in 9mm after letting her hold countless pistols, the gun is well balanced and has low recoil for her. and it doesn't weigh down her purse, goos luck
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang. You just reminded me of something that's funny.
One time at the range my wife tried out a couple of my Mak varients. She didn't like them at all. The "snap" in the recoil really hurt her little hands. The rest of that trip she only used our PT745 and my XD 45 because they were "really comfortable" to shoot. That cracked me up. My little lady thinks 45s are comfortable! But when you look at the physics, I believe she's right. The recoil is a shove vice a "snap". But she doesn't care for the complication of semi auto pistols. So her first pistol of her own is a revolver.

This is actually quite common - my wife finds my full sized 1911 very comfortable to shoot and prefers it to my 9mm autoloaders - same comment "I don't like the snap".  The 45 ACP is more of a push and more comfortable and less abrupt.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a Glock man & wn 7 different models, but my wife loves my Beretta 92's.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm a CZ guy, so how about the 2075 rami or the P01?

Great guns for the money:

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=48

http://cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=28

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 10:07:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Whatever it is, make sure she can operate it.  Out of the ones I've tried, my wife can pull back the slide on a M9 but no way my 1911.  And even though the hipower is probably the best fit, there's no way she's getting that slide back.  At this point, with what little experience she has, my detective special rides in her car.  But she's probably better off with a .22.  

She needs some trigger time.  I pray alot for her when I'm not with her.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top