Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/20/2007 1:52:36 PM EDT
Rock Island Armory 1911 or SPRINGFIELD XD-9
the r.i.a. is alittle cheaper but which is a better buy
Rock Island Armory 1911 at $350 n.i.b  or SPRINGFIELD XD-9 $400  n.i.b.
this is done i got a glock instead
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The RIA has a good rep, considering the price... I'd have to consider that the better buy.  I'd probably get something else if I already had a 1911, but if not, that'd be my choice.

ETA:  I made the basic mistake of not considering intended use before giving advice.  I agree with ALPHAGHOST and imq707s that I wouldn't bet my life on the reliability of the RIA.  If you don't already have a reliable handgun in 9mm or larger, then between those 2 I'd pick the XD.  If you do, then I think the RIA would be a reasonable choice for evaluating the 1911 platform to see whether you like it well enough to get a much more expensive one.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#2]
i've had both...in this case, i probably would consider the SA XD if its for any hard use/duty

dont get me wrong, the RIAs--you either hate em or love em, esp for the price, but i'd either save up for something a little more 'built' for a 1911

Link Posted: 11/20/2007 2:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that the XD would be far more reliable than the RIA.  You hardly ever hear about people having problems with XD's....but I always hear about people having problems with lower end 1911's.  

I would go with the SA XD.....it's a Springfield Armory!
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 2:47:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I own an RIA 1911 and love it . I can shoot pop cans at 25 yds. very consistently , so accuracy is pretty good . It has been 100% reliable so far , and I have had it for 3 years and around 2500 rounds . The only drawback is that it will not feed hollowpoints at all . I don't carry it , so it isn't a major concern to me . Get one , it's a great entry level 1911 .     maxx
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 3:38:01 PM EDT
[#5]
In true Arfcom nature I have both!

I've had several Rock Islands now. Never had a problem with any of them other than people offering me more money for them than I could resist. The one I have now I bought new and it has worked flawlessly.  

I carried a service model XD9 for about 3 years before the XD45 acp came out and I moved up to it. I once ran over 1500 rounds though my XD9 without cleaning it once. It finally stopped after the chamber had carboned up enough that a round would no longer chamber completely. After a good cleaning it was back to being flawless again.

Both of these are very nice guns. Both should be vetted wit way h several hundred rounds, and enough of what ever defense ammo you carry, to be certain of their reliability before trusting them as a carry piece. I personally prefer to carry an XD over a 1911 due to the extra rounds and the slightly smaller package.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#6]
XD.

Get a 1911 when you have the cash for a Springer G.I.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#7]
XD
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I own an RIA 1911 and love it . I can shoot pop cans at 25 yds. very consistently , so accuracy is pretty good . It has been 100% reliable so far , and I have had it for 3 years and around 2500 rounds . The only drawback is that it will not feed hollowpoints at all . I don't carry it , so it isn't a major concern to me . Get one , it's a great entry level 1911 .     maxx

So its not exactly 100% reliable then is it?
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
RIA is potmetal from the Philippines.  Pass.

No complaints about my SA XD.

- BG
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
i've had both...in this case, i probably would consider the SA XD if its for any hard use/duty

dont get me wrong, the RIAs--you either hate em or love em, esp for the price, but i'd either save up for something a little more 'built' for a 1911

+1 Best answer IMO.  With that budget you're better off buying an XD or used Glock, than a cheap 1911.  When you get more money, buy a better 1911.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 12:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
You should compromise and get an XD45
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#12]
"RIA is potmetal from the Philippines"

Puh-lease!

What is your evidence for this nonsensical statement.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 9:07:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Puh-lease!

It's a plinker at best.  I know of at least one Kaboom with a RIA (locally), the thumb safeties seem to be known for being a bit "easy" to manipulate (not very safe), and I've heard that mags do not drop free all the time.

A fellow I know is very pleased with his... and was so much more happy when he paid a smith $100 to make it work.  

I'm not a 1911 snob.  I have a beater Colt that I got for $250 all the way up to a Kimber Gold Combat from the custom shop.  I would NOT suggest, however, that someone run out and buy a RIA when a nice used 1911 from a decent brand would do just nicely.

I would trust RIA as a beater/plinker only.  

- BG
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Puh-lease!

It's a plinker at best.  I know of at least one Kaboom with a RIA (locally), the thumb safeties seem to be known for being a bit "easy" to manipulate (not very safe), and I've heard that mags do not drop free all the time.

A fellow I know is very pleased with his... and was so much more happy when he paid a smith $100 to make it work.  

I'm not a 1911 snob.  I have a beater Colt that I got for $250 all the way up to a Kimber Gold Combat from the custom shop.  I would NOT suggest, however, that someone run out and buy a RIA when a nice used 1911 from a decent brand would do just nicely.

- BG

So your experiance with it is zero.  Gotcha.  Funny I own one and belong to boards where other people actually own them too but I've never heard of the thumb saftey being "easy" to manipulate as you say is so widely known.  

You know of one that has kaboomed.  Well I guess no other gun has ever kaboomed so stay away from RIA's cause BUCC Guy knows of one that has kaboomed!!  

Mags not dropping free all the time?  Is that on all RIA's or just those you've owned?  I guess mine is defective cause it drops them free.

If your friend dropped $100 to make it work, he isn't too swift because RIA's customer service is top notch and they take care of their customers.  

As usual, folks who show up bashing these guns are the same folks who've never owned one nor put any rounds through them.  It's always the same.  "I heard", "I've been told"  How bout if folks get some actual experiance before spouting off?

Link Posted: 11/23/2007 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Puh-lease!

- BG

So your experiance with it is zero.  Gotcha.  Funny I own one and belong to boards where other people actually own them too but I've never heard of the thumb saftey being "easy" to manipulate as you say is so widely known.  

I have shot one and they are nothing to write home about.  Glad to see you are so proud to be on an RIA board.  If you need me, I'll be chatting it up about my Kimber on a decent board.

You know of one that has kaboomed.  Well I guess no other gun has ever kaboomed so stay away from RIA's cause BUCC Guy knows of one that has kaboomed!!  

Most people joke about Kabooms, but haven't seen one.  One of the FEW Kaboom's I've seen was with a RIA 1911.  Sorry it hurts your feelings.  Get a tissue... and a decent pistol.

Mags not dropping free all the time?  Is that on all RIA's or just those you've owned?  I guess mine is defective cause it drops them free.

I don't own one, and if I did, I wouldn't admit to it.  The lack of drop-free mags is 3rd party, as far as I am concerned.

If your friend dropped $100 to make it work, he isn't too swift because RIA's customer service is top notch and they take care of their customers.  

If they took care of their pistols before they left the factory Asian garage, it wouldn't be an issue.

As usual, folks who show up bashing these guns are the same folks who've never owned one nor put any rounds through them.  It's always the same.  "I heard", "I've been told"  How bout if folks get some actual experiance before spouting off?

I've shot one and I've witnesses the remnants of one having blown up.  Do I have to be stupid enough to buy one in order to share experience on this forum?

Go to soak in some oil and thicken your skin up, son.  Better yet, pick up some extra shifts and buy a decent pistol.

I hate to sound like a snob, but you get all bent out of shape because the only 1911 you can buy is a piece of shit.

My apologies to the OP.

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the resources to buy any gun that tickles my fancy.  I'm not cheap.  

I bought a Chas. Daly / Phillipino GI 1911 for shits and grins (not to carry, cutomize, or compete...just to enjoy "as is".)  

It is accurate as hell, goes bang everytime, and chews through ball ammo.  It was $329.  

My little brother bought a $1,000 Kimber 1911.  He shot alot, what with the free ammo from the department and at his part time gig at the range.  The Kimber lasted less than 3 months / 5,000 factory rounds.  The failure was catastrophic.  Kimber replaced it with a new gun.  That NIB pistol was immediately sold.

Since you don't say what you want to use the pistol for, I'm going to respond "not enough information" as to which is the better deal.  I personally don't care for the XDs, as I remember when they were $249 HS' before the Springfield marketing machine became involved.  I can recall mentioning to folks "I wouldn't buy a toaster made in Croatia, much less a pistol."   But they've seem to have worked out most of the bugs in the years since, and lots of emerging markets like Turkey and China are making great strides in QC.  Why not Croatia, too?  

My personal experience with the Phlip-adino 1911s is that they are a solid value for the money, and a good entry level 1911.  You are getting what you are paying for.

I have no firsthand personal experience with the XDs.  I stopped looking for the perfect polymer framed carry pistol when I bought a Glock.    

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:59:10 AM EDT
[#17]
just buying it for a target or plinker i have a shotgun for home defence and we cant carry here in il ( no ccw in il)
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#18]
"I hate to sound like a snob, but you get all bent out of shape because the only 1911 you can buy is a piece of shit."

No, we get all bent out of shape when someone with minimal experience with a RIA takes that minimal experience and some hearsay then turns around and calls them all "a piece of shit". Oh and that kaboom that you witnessed? Like 99.9% of the other kabooms out there it was ammo related, not the pistols fault. For someone who hates to sound like a snob you are doing a damn good job of it.

To the OP:

SevenMaryThree is right. We really do not have enough info to give you an opinion on which to buy(Oops, you beat me to the post). The RIA is a pretty faithful clone of the original 1911 that John Browning invented. It was designed to run with ball ammo and if you run nothing but ball through it the RIA will do you just fine. If you are planning to use the pistol for defense as well as plinking then the XD would be the better choice. My XD runs perfectly with +P Remington Golden Sabre ammo and WWB but has ejection problems with some of the lower powered Russian 9mm. This has been my experience with the two pistols you have asked about.

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:09:39 AM EDT
[#19]
If someone gave me a FREE XD, I would trade it on a RIA in a minute!

Friggin Croatian POS
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think that the XD would be far more reliable than the RIA.  You hardly ever hear about people having problems with XD's....but I always hear about people having problems with lower end 1911's.  

I would go with the SA XD.....it's a Springfield Armory!

No, it isn't.

It's a Croatian IM Metal Co.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:28:09 AM EDT
[#21]
LIKE I SAID BEFORE just buying it for a target or plinker i have a shotgun for home defence and we cant carry here in il ( no ccw in il)  I HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A HIGH END PISTOL  MY FFL GUY IS CLEARING OUT SOME OF HIS STUFF AND HAD ASKED ME IF I WANTED ANYTHING I GOT A SKS FROM THE SELL FOR 75.00  (YES ITS OK)
I KNOW THAT BOTH CHEAPER BUT I  KIND OF LIKED THE RIA MY FFL SAID THAT MOST PARTS CAN BE REPLACED WITH GI OR OTHER 1911 PART AND IT WILL USE THE CHEAP 1911 GI MAGS  
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 6:46:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I was thinking about getting one of these 1911's, I have an XD9 and an XD45.  I also have a Kimber, I shoot the XD's more. Then again, I shoot my Ruger P89 just as much cause I dont want them to feel left out

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 7:05:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Friggin Croatian POS

Do you have any real-world experience to back that up?

Eastern European countries hae actually turned out some good weapons. PI is not known for its high quality weapons.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 8:30:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
LIKE I SAID BEFORE just buying it for a target or plinker i have a shotgun for home defence and we cant carry here in il ( no ccw in il)  I HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A HIGH END PISTOL  MY FFL GUY IS CLEARING OUT SOME OF HIS STUFF AND HAD ASKED ME IF I WANTED ANYTHING I GOT A SKS FROM THE SELL FOR 75.00  (YES ITS OK)
I KNOW THAT BOTH CHEAPER BUT I  KIND OF LIKED THE RIA MY FFL SAID THAT MOST PARTS CAN BE REPLACED WITH GI OR OTHER 1911 PART AND IT WILL USE THE CHEAP 1911 GI MAGS  

Buy the XD it will last longer than the RIA. My RIA started showing internal wear early on and it was a pain to work on every time I ordered a "drop in part" that was specified for the pistol Id be spending a few hours dremeling which I couldnt say the same for other 1911 style pistols.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#25]
I currently have two 1911's, the RIA and a Colt Defender. Both have had at least 2,000 rounds thru them, ball and hp, with  no malfunctions. The Colt will stovepipe if I limp-wrist it. Currently looking at a RIA .38 super, and would love to find a fullsize 1911 in 9mm.  RIA is good to go IMHO.. fullclip
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 12:26:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I thik I'd go with The Spingfield Armory.Newer technology as well as more magazine capacity.As well as more aftrmaket add ons.If one so chooses to go that route.But with all the various choices of 9mm ammo.Plus 9mm is cheaper to purchase,for more practice.Then their is 45 versus 9mm.That argument is almost moot.I suppose whatever you shoot best with and feel more comfortable with.Also the application you want that particular firearm for should be the deciding factors.If possible try both.If not at least try and shoot the 45s compare the 9mms calibers. I'd also research the companys customer service record.Unfortunatly thats a fact many people forget to figure into the purchase/ownership equation.Good luck with your decision.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 1:10:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Friggin Croatian POS

Do you have any real-world experience to back that up?

Eastern European countries hae actually turned out some good weapons. PI is not known for its high quality weapons.

Hmm... I've owned two RIA 1911's and both were dead accurate and well built.  And no MIM parts either
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:19:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Puh-lease!

- BG

I have shot one and they are nothing to write home about.  Glad to see you are so proud to be on an RIA board.  If you need me, I'll be chatting it up about my Kimber on a decent board.

Most people joke about Kabooms, but haven't seen one.  One of the FEW Kaboom's I've seen was with a RIA 1911.  Sorry it hurts your feelings.  Get a tissue... and a decent pistol.

I don't own one, and if I did, I wouldn't admit to it.  The lack of drop-free mags is 3rd party, as far as I am concerned.

If they took care of their pistols before they left the factory Asian garage, it wouldn't be an issue.

I've shot one and I've witnesses the remnants of one having blown up.  Do I have to be stupid enough to buy one in order to share experience on this forum?

Go to soak in some oil and thicken your skin up, son.  Better yet, pick up some extra shifts and buy a decent pistol.

I hate to sound like a snob, but you get all bent out of shape because the only 1911 you can buy is a piece of shit.

My apologies to the OP.

Another gem of a post.  Get called out for talking out of your backside and start crawfishing.  The further stupidity of your reply stands for itself.  Not worth dissecting again.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#29]
ok please  i  just want to know which was a better value yets just end this right now please i started this and now i am ending it i ended up picking up a glock 21 at a show this today thanks for all your input
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
ok please  i  just want to know which was a better value yets just end this right now please i started this and now i am ending it i ended up picking up a glock 21 at a show this today thanks for all your input

the best choice of all 3 imo, good pick

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#31]
thanks
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#32]
you did the right thing.......
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
you did the right thing.......

+ 1000
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Good choice.  

Now if he'll sell you that RIA for less than three bills, go back and pick that up too.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Lol
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#37]
M&P
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top