Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2001 6:47:42 PM EDT

Taking price out of the decision; and remembering that here in Canada we can only have 10 round mags.

Which handgun would you purchase for IPSC/Target Competition purposes:

Para Ordnance P14-45 Limited (stainless)

OR

Kimber Custom .45  (stainless)

Pitbull
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I would probably get the Para, cause those two extra rounds can really make a difference.  Plus half the game is reloading while running, which is much easier to do with a double stack mag.  I must say I do love the Kimber though.
Link Posted: 11/13/2001 9:51:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would make that decision by holding both.

Which one points more comfortably?

I have pretty big hands so I like the double stacks better... and mine hold 14.

Link Posted: 11/14/2001 12:17:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Wait for the Kimber Eclipse in
38 Super.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Wait for the Kimber Eclipse in
38 Super.

Why? He's clearly looking for a Limited/Standard gun and .38 Super cannot be scored for major in those divisions.
Link Posted: 11/15/2001 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

stipilot - you are right. I am looking for a gun for Limited/Standard.

Just starting out as far as IPSC goes, so I don't want to dive in too deep for a STI or eqivalent. Not yet anyway.

So I am now leaning towards the Para Ord;
P16-40 Limited or the P14-45 Limited
Link Posted: 11/16/2001 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Pitbull,

I replied to your post on the 1911forums (kbear38S) and I just want to stress that reliablity of Paras under IPSC use is poor. They are fine outside the hard use of competition and they are okay if you don't mind putting a lot of money into aftermarket parts. If you can't do the gunsmithing yourself, Para's are very expensive to keep running.

It'd strongly recommend a Kimber if your budget is limited. My wife got about 25,000 rounds through her Kimber before I got her an open gun and the only thing I ever replaced on it was recoil and firing pin springs. My Para was constantly in and out of my gunsmith's shop and the 6 or 8 guys I shoot with had similar experiences.

Understand I have nothing in particular against Para and I gain nothing by recommending anything else. I am merely recounting my experinces with that manufacturer.

If you do finally decide to go with the Para, I'd suggest you go with the P16. All other things being equal, used .40 S&W brass is extremely cheap, especially compared to .45 ACP which isn't as plentiful as it used to be. There's still a lot around but used .45 runs about $45USD and .40 is available as low as $15USD. Many people are able to get it for free.

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Score one for Kimber.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:31:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.

Too many good choices.
The decision is driving me crazy!  

I have a few months before I am going to make the final decision.

.40 OR .45 ????

Para, Kimber, Colt, Springfield ?????

I just bought a Sig. 226 9mm and will be using this until I make the decision above.

Thanks again for the help, I'm sure I will be calling on you guys for more advice many more times until I make the final decision.  

Pitbull -
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
You Para was in and out of the shop?  For what.... got a couple of examples? I would like to head off any weaknesses before they get started.

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Handguns.............in Canada

cmon I thought there are no more handguns in Canada.

I think I'll start a thread.....

handgun in Canada  yeh right.... cmon
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#12]
BigMac - I either don't  understand what your saying, or you don't understand what I'm
saying.............

I don't have a Para, just trying to decide what make of .45 or .40 to buy???

- Pitbull

Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
P.S. -  ya, I think we still might be allowed having airpistols here in Canada...........but real guns, .  NO WAY!

LOL..................[-!-!-]

Pitbull
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
You Para was in and out of the shop?  For what.... got a couple of examples?

my standard P16:
Feed ramp cut wrong.
firing pin failed
firing pin failed
barrel bushing
hammer and sear made out of mush metal
extractor failed

Assorted problems from the 6 or 8 guys I shoot with who have P16 limiteds:
feed problems
extractors
barrel bushings
slide stops
front sights falling off
rear sights falling off
firing pins
firing pin stops
trigger group is junk on all of them
one has sear pin holes drilled at wrong place - had to get a custom drilled sear

Para's are okay for low volume shooting. They do not hold up under high volume shooting like IPSC.
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Stipilot - I keep hearing things like this, especially the soft metal used in the hammer , sear, etc.....

And the trigger group being junk.

I'm leaning farther and farther towards a Colt.
Or a Springfield or Kimber.  [:\].....
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I hated my Colt. I ended up trading it to my father for a mini 14.

he had it altered and gave it back...

Trying to decide between the 40 and 45... go 40.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top