Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
I think my girlfriend is getting me a Surefire X200 for Xmas...she wants to know A or B. I know the differences per Surefire's website, but which one should I choose, and why?
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#1]
B.

A does not cover enough area for a handgun light, but has adequate reach for 25yd encounters.

IMHO
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
B.  I have had both, I think the B is superior for a pistol light.
Link Posted: 11/26/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat and was kind of leaning towards the A version.  I want the precision and the option to reach out should I need a longer shot.  I don't like the thought of limiting myself to only close-up work.

Just my 2 cents.  I think I'll end up buying the A though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Why is the B superior?
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The A model puts out 60 lumens and is a tight, focused beam.
The B model puts out 100 lumens.  It has the tight focused beam but also has more spillage (think of it as light that goes around the bright center beam).  Thus, it's better for identifying peripheral targets.  

I went with the B model because, indoors it will fill up an entire room and still have a tight beam for blinding targets.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#6]
More usefully lit area with similar intensity as the 200A.

The A is on the left and the B is on the right....

The B is on the left, the A is on the right...
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 6:54:42 AM EDT
[#7]
A model is 60 lumens with a tight focused beam

B model is 100 lumens with a wide  "flood" beam

A model was originally designed for blinding and point shooting where the  B model will intensely light up a room and have the same benefits as the A model.  IMHO.  YMMV

ETA: Man I type slow
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I spent my money on B and here's why:

When I was buying, the proprietor of the store took me into his back room, turned out the lights, and showed the different beam patterns.  The room was about 25 feet deep.  The hot spot of A was slightly brighter than B.  However, A had no "spillage," or illuminatin outside the hot spot.  None at all, you just got a hot spot in an otherwise dark room.  B's hot spot was nearly as bright, and there was sufficiant spillage to illuminate the entire room.

The "throw" is slightly longer with A, but throw is generally not the strong point of LEDs anyway.  In my mind, the B gives a much more usable beam pattern.  

If you are really planning on using it primarily outside, you don't want a LED, you want an incandescent, for the longer throw.  Unfortunately, there is no incan x200, and all of the other SF options tend to be more problematic for holsters and such.

As always, this information is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:13:11 AM EDT
[#9]
SHIVAN, what distance is that?
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:23:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Don't recall....let's call it "room clearing distance".

The person who took the photos said it was approximately 20ft.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough, I just don't remember there being that big a difference in a similar comparison.  My memory might be failing, or I might have been in a shorter room.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 7:45:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fair enough, I just don't remember there being that big a difference in a similar comparison.  My memory might be failing, or I might have been in a shorter room.

Probably a shorter room.  

I would say the picture is 10yds or so.  I will see if I can confirm....

~20ft.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, so it looks like the B model is a better all around weapon light. Know of any place that has good prices and service...that I could direct her to? :)
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 11:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Nearly everyone who sells them is within a few dollars of one another.

She should not be paying retail price.  Tell her to search the vendors here and on other gun boards.

Do not pay MSRP for it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2006 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#15]
x200L from surefire it is coming soon. it is the surefire x200 with a laser.

i seen it in the new surefire /gun and ammo combat tactics magazine.

looks pretty slick.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 3:56:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I posted this information in the EE in a WTB add for a x200B.  Back in October 2006 I bought a x200B from Dawson Precision Inc. for $198.99 BNIB.  When I received it I really liked it and a few weeks later I went back on their website to order another and the price has increased to $240.  That’s still the best price by about $30 for a brand new one.  They are located in Central Texas if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I went with the "B" on my duty G22 and here is why. You can light up a whole room when clearing it and on road stops I can keep the weapon at a low ready and still see what is going on. Just having a weapon mounted light frees up a hand that I might need for something else.                                    
Link Posted: 11/28/2006 11:57:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

looks pretty slick.

Does someone have a pic?
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 12:14:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

looks pretty slick.

Does someone have a pic?

its in the magazine thats highlight in red. it looks like a regular x200 just and a small bump underneath for the laser and there you go.
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Does someone have a pic?

Here you go: Notice they use the X200B

Also, go for...

Or try a W111D Military tac light:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top