Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 3:10:47 PM EDT
I am looking to get eithor a Sig Mosquito or a Walther P22. Any Suggestions?  I plan on mounting a Warlock suppressor to it, and I know the Wather is the easiest to do such. However is the Mosquito a better pistol? I am mostly looking for quality and reliablilty, accuracy is a plus. Thanks Medic17
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Given the vast problems the P22 has had, I would avoid it like the plague unless I could shoot a brick thru the exact same one I was buying before paying.

The Sig hasn't been out long enough to have much of a critique, IMO.

Lots of guys put a can on Rugers.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I shoot those P22 walthers all the time. And just got a Sig Mos.  For what they were created for they will do just fine. Not really worth the extra money for the sig IMO.

I wish now I would have gotten another browning Buckmark or Ruger pistol.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:23:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Given those choices I'd go with a late model P22 (the early ones had several problems).

A friend of mine got a Sig Mosquito and sent it back to the factory TWICE.  Even then, the trigger is attrotious.  He described it as "Nice on the outside but build like an airsoft gun on the inside."
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a Ruger Mark II or Mark III, or 22/45.  They have been around for quite a while and run very well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Get a Ruger Mark II or Mark III, or 22/45.  They have been around for quite a while and run very well.

+1
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:03:15 PM EDT
[#7]
There is nothing wrong with a newer P22.  I have almost 3 thousand rounds through mine, and not one malfunction of any kind so far.  Very good little pistols.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:41:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is nothing wrong with a newer P22.  I have almost 3 thousand rounds through mine, and not one malfunction of any kind so far.  Very good little pistols.

+1, mine is proving to be very accurate and robust. Providing you feed it some sort of decent ammo, it's flawless.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 1:13:08 AM EDT
[#9]
How are the newer P22's better?  Did they put a steel liner in the slide or something to prevent the wear problems with the zinc slides?

Digital
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 2:12:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How are the newer P22's better?  Did they put a steel liner in the slide or something to prevent the wear problems with the zinc slides?

Digital

IIRC the most important improvement are the stainless mags.

I have a P22 that I bought about a month and half ago, has been flawless in over 1,000 rounds.

I broke it in with 500 rounds of CCI Stingers, which might have helped.

Waiting on my Warlock for it now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:55:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:21:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

they're great until you have to take them apart and clean 'em. Whoever decided on a lever in the grip never intended on cleaning one.

J

Its not that bad once you get used to it. I can disassemble and then reassemble mine in around 15 seconds.

I've purposely not cleaned my 22/45 in about 4500 rounds of the dirtiest bulk pack crap ammo I can find, still runs like a top even when caked in grime. I will probably never buy any other .22 cal pistol.

My P22 so far has been very reliable as well, however its not very accurate. It is alot lighter than my Ruger and the grip is just on the threshold of being too small for my hand. However, until I get a decent holser for my 22/45 then I'll carry the P22 when hiking.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a p22. Its been reliable but lacks somewhat in the paracticality department. Get a Ruger (I didn't want to say that) or if you can afford it get a browning buckmark. The Sig trailside is also a beautiful pistol.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:26:03 PM EDT
[#14]
The Trailsides look interesting.  I just want something really good for my Warlock.
I was thinking of possibly going with a Marvel 22lr upper for my 1911. I would like to keep the total under $ 400- . However i still want reliablilty and accuracy. I guess I want my cake and to eat it as well. Any one mounded a Beretta 87? Can you use the sights with a 1" can? Thanks
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Trailsides look interesting.  I just want something really good for my Warlock.
I was thinking of possibly going with a Marvel 22lr upper for my 1911. I would like to keep the total under $ 400- . However i still want reliablilty and accuracy. I guess I want my cake and to eat it as well. Any one mounded a Beretta 87? Can you use the sights with a 1" can? Thanks

For around $300, you can get the top of the line S&W 22A/S series. They are wonderful guns, a real close cousin to the Buckmark.

Super easy takedown, very reliable and the target models are extremely accurate. Plus, you can swap barrels very easily, so one gun can be 5 different configurations.

They're the dark horse of the .22 guns, but well worth looking into.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:11:22 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw the 22a's before I just didnt like the way they felt in my hand. Other than that they seemed okay.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
You'll find lots of info on the P22 on rimfirecentral.com.  Go there & read before buying anything.  There's guys with tens of thousands of rounds experience in a P22.  Use a moly/teflon dry lube.  Use decent ammo (some guns work with anything - find what works best).  Mine works with anything - I usually have a suppressor on & this supposedly helps reliability and accuracy (according to many).  Some people do have problems & this is well known.  Locktight the side stovebolt & make sure to tighten the barrel nut - minor issues but looseness will cause problems.  There are easy fixes for other problems IF they do occur.   I was ready to buy the Mosquito, but most of what I have read has been bad, both quality & reliability.  I would buy another P22 - a fun gun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:39:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Both the SIG Mosquito and Walther P22 are made by the same company if that matters.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#19]
REALLY I did not know that. Who makes them?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:04:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I can't find the name of the company but it's a german gun company that only makes .22s.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can't find the name of the company but it's a german gun company that only makes .22s.

They're not the same folks who help make the Sig Trailside are they?  The Trailside's a decent pistol too (except the cracking in the trigger guards after a few 1000 rounds and bad springs) so I'd be surprised if it was.

Digital
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#22]
My P22 is at about 2500 rnds, with ZERO failures.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 3:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
How can you tell if what you are buying is a "new" or "old" model P22?  

Cheers
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I would pass on the Sig and the P22 and purchase the CZ Kadet.  The Kadet is an outstanding pistol and gets even better when suppressed. The Kadet is all steel and should last a lifetime (unlike my Walther P22). It has the same weight and feel as the 9mm version and the slide stop/release works just like it does in 9mm. As shown in the pic, the rear sight is fully adjustable. I rarely shoot my P22 anymore since getting the Kadet. The Kadet is extremely reliable with Remington Target, Remington Subsonic, CCI Standard Velocity, and Winchester Dynapoint. Even PMC moderator cycles well. Accuracy seems excellent, but I haven't tested it on paper. Click on the link below for my video page. Scroll down to the bottom to see two videos of the Kadet.

home.netcom.com/~uzisubgun/id2.html

Dan

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I would pass on the Sig and the P22 and purchase the CZ Kadet.  The Kadet is an outstanding pistol and gets even better when suppressed. The Kadet is all steel and should last a lifetime (unlike my Walther P22). It has the same weight and feel as the 9mm version and the slide stop/release works just like it does in 9mm. As shown in the pic, the rear sight is fully adjustable. I rarely shoot my P22 anymore since getting the Kadet. The Kadet is extremely reliable with Remington Target, Remington Subsonic, CCI Standard Velocity, and Winchester Dynapoint. Even PMC moderator cycles well. Accuracy seems excellent, but I haven't tested it on paper. Click on the link below for my video page. Scroll down to the bottom to see two videos of the Kadet.

home.netcom.com/~uzisubgun/id2.html

Dan

THe CZ 22 kit is very nice.  A friend of mine had me fire CCI Velocitors in his mounted on a CZ85 Combat and then fire his 'gaming' USPSA/IDPA ammo in the same CZ85 Combat in 9mm.  He loads 147gr bullets going about 855fps for USPSA and IDPA.  And the 9mm loads of his barely have more recoil than these .22s.

tinypic.com/2af4t4
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#26]
+1 on the CZ or Ruger.  Also look at the Buckmark.  Any rimfire with proper care should last a lifetime.  Therefore they should be built to last a lifetime.  Zinc slides are not in that catagory.

R
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top