Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2013 6:43:49 AM EDT
I'm fairly positive I'm running this subject into the ground but can't seam to find a thread where people give a good reason for their choice.  This will definitely not be my first gun and I'm experienced with both 45's and 40's.  I've held all of these guns but unfortunately i haven't had an opportunity to shoot them.  I will say i feel comfortable holding all of them.  I'm looking for a "utility" handgun (please don't say glock they just feel really awkward in my hand).  Something I can defend myself with (reliability is a must) and yet shoot at the range and enjoy.  For those that have shot these models which ones have you found to have better accuracy, followup and reliability?  

Thanks for the help.

P.S. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges throwing in a 45 vs a 40 that's just more of a if you were me thing.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 6:53:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Do some research on the FNX series of pistols. And FN Herstal.

Mags are hard to come by and expensive.

I sold my FNX9.

Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
From what i have seen there isn't much opposition on the FNX line.  Did you sell your pistol due to a shortage of accessories or performance?
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 7:53:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Take a look at the new M&P COREs
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 9:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
.45 > .40 IMO
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I like FN pistols but they change designs every 5 years or less.  Makes parts, mags, holsters etc not as plentiful for their pistols.  Something to consider.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#6]
The FNX-45 is a really nice pistol to shoot, its been mentioned holsters and accessories are hard to find but they are out there.  I have shot an M&P 9 and 40

they are nice to shoot and have a lot of aftermarket support.  Go with the FNX-45 it comes with 3 magazines and for a defensive weapon 15+1 of 45 ACP in my

opinion is better.
Link Posted: 6/30/2013 6:25:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The FNX is a nice gun, but FN Herstal has a bad habit of half-assing their civilian offerings.  What has been noted in this thread only scratches the surface.

For a .40 cal gun, I would buy a S&W M&P 40 for roughly $500, then get the APEX Tactical DCAEK trigger kit.  This gun gives you A LOT of options, including the ability to swap barrels for 9mm or even .357Sig if desired.

I would also take a look at the Glock 22.   Let me ask you a question....what does it matter how it "feels" in your hand when you are at the gun store counter?  Have you shot them yet???
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 8:35:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From what i have seen there isn't much opposition on the FNX line.  Did you sell your pistol due to a shortage of accessories or performance?

I was able to find the holsters. Magazines were $40 a pop back then, when you could find them. Now, I bet its $75. CS is horrible, but that's anecdotal to me.

The pistol shoots like a dream, well made. Great ergos and recoil management.

My issue came with the decocker/ safety. When I carried cocked and locked, it was easy to sweep the lever past safe and decock the damn thing, then its a surprise DA trigger pull. I couldn't get by it. There are other things...but the kicker was...

I shoot a G19 better. I deploy it better, I am more accurate with it, its easier to service, mags are available at a semi reasonable price, parts and holsters are not an issue. I sold the FNX, 5 mags and 2 holsters and bought a G21sf and G19.

I just picked up G30sf, its my carry now.

Etcetera.

ETA: yup just saw 2 seperate EE ads for FNX 45 mags. $75 a piece. Good luck with that.
Just get a G4 G21 or G3 G21sf and be done with it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
First off thanks to everyone for their input.

DanTSX to answer your question the feel I was referring to was from shooting them.  I have shot the 19, 22, and 30.  I completely respect their reliability and service record but for my hand they don't seem to work.  I took a look at the APEX triggers and reviewed a lot of videos and feedback after seeing your post.  

I decided to go with the S&W .40 and replace the internals with the APEX trigger and sear.  I have a Model 25-2 in .45 so I decided to get a little more variety.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/1/2013 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
First off thanks to everyone for their input.

DanTSX to answer your question the feel I was referring to was from shooting them.  I have shot the 19, 22, and 30.  I completely respect their reliability and service record but for my hand they don't seem to work.  I took a look at the APEX triggers and reviewed a lot of videos and feedback after seeing your post.  

I decided to go with the S&W .40 and replace the internals with the APEX trigger and sear.  I have a Model 25-2 in .45 so I decided to get a little more variety.

Thanks again

You will be well served.

Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:26:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The FNX is a nice gun, but FN Herstal has a bad habit of half-assing their civilian offerings.  What has been noted in this thread only scratches the surface.

For a .40 cal gun, I would buy a S&W M&P 40 for roughly $500, then get the APEX Tactical DCAEK trigger kit.  This gun gives you A LOT of options, including the ability to swap barrels for 9mm or even .357Sig if desired.

I would also take a look at the Glock 22.   Let me ask you a question....what does it matter how it "feels" in your hand when you are at the gun store counter?  Have you shot them yet???

M&P + Apex DCAEK + the AEK trigger = one hell of a handgun.
Link Posted: 7/3/2013 10:17:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

M&P + Apex DCAEK + the AEK trigger = one hell of a handgun

I have an M&P40 (mid-size) with the Apex sear, USB, RAM, a reworked trigger bar for a shorter trigger break and reset, and a TLR-1 light. It is THE best pistol I've owned in my 20+ years of shooting and training for self defense. It fits like a glove, has thousands of rounds through it, shoots 3 inch groups at 25 yards off hand, is extremely reliable, and feels like a 9mmNato when shooting 180 grain .40 caliber ammo. It is my nightstand home defense pistol. I carry a M&P40c everday on my hip. They are fantastic pistols...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top