Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2012 6:08:57 PM EDT

The Glock 23 is a typical boring Glock.  It's utterly reliable, lightweight, soft shooting, more accurate than 99% of the people that shoot it, and extremely simple in design and function.   I've had this one for a few months now and have just over 500 rounds through it and here's what I've found.

Pros:
-Reliable (0 malfunctions of any kind; with and without tac light attached)
-Accurate (more accurate than I am)
-Durable (I have a Gen2 23 with thousands of rounds through it and it's still going strong)
-Easy to maintain
-TONS of aftermarket support
-Accepts 13, 15, and 22 round factory magazines
-Small and light enough to carry but holds 13+1
-Glock's customer service is second to none
-Durable finish
-Cheap replacement parts, should you ever need them
-Low Bore Axis resulting in a relatively soft shooting gun
-Easily modified to fit the shooters' preferences
-Requires very little cleaning/lubrication to run reliably
-I like the Gen4 grip texture; especially in the 40S&W guns
-It's had consistent ejection with all ammo

Cons:
-I'm not a fan of the factory plastic sights
-Comes with a serrated trigger due to import rules (easy swap)
-I'm not a fan of the Gen4 backstrap system.  It's never failed me but the system used by other manufactures integrates more seamlessly with the firearm than the Glock system

Here's a video with some shooting from the 12m line,  a table top review and discussion, and a chronograph test with some popular defensive loads.

Gen4 Glock 23 HD Video Review Link

Chrono numbers:

Winchester Ranger 135gr JHPs: 1124 fps, 379 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 180gr JHPs: 997 fps, 397 ft/lbs energy
Federal HST 165gr JHPs: 1051 fps, 405 ft/lbs energy

In summary, it's tough to go wrong with a Glock 23.  It's adaptable to most uses (duty, HD, concealed carry, ect...), can be easily converted to 9mm for cheaper practice, it's adaptable to the shooters hands, and most importantly is utterly reliable.  

Link Posted: 9/28/2012 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been carring a 2nd Gen G23 for about 15 years now.  It's been fantastic and other than when the extractor broke during a class, 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Good choice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 3:24:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Perfect companion for my G22 Gen 4.  Good choice.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I think this is my next pistol.

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#6]
One more plus:  G23 gen 4 also has less recoil than G23 gen 3- probably due to dual recoil rod.
Link Posted: 9/29/2012 7:13:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Gen 4 23 and the Gen 3 22 RTF and to me they seem to shoot about the same.
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
One more plus:  G23 gen 4 also has less recoil than G23 gen 3- probably due to dual recoil rod.

I have both (as well as a Gen2) and don't notice the difference....  
Link Posted: 9/30/2012 11:47:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a question for those in the know...

Why would the dual recoil spring of a Gen4 Glock (in a G23 for example) cause the handgun to have less recoil than the single recoil spring of a Gen3 Glock (in a G23 for example)?

If the spring resistance weight is the same, they should feel the same, or at least very similar, right?

If the spring resistance weight is higher/more, then the slide cycle rate would be slowed down which tends to increase muzzle rise and perceived recoil, right? Or do I have that backwards?

If the spring resistance weight is lower/less, then the slide cycle rate would be faster which tends to get the slide back in battery quicker and reduces muzzle rise and perceived recoil, right? Isn't that what some game gunners do, use lower powered recoil springs for faster shooting? Or do I have that backwards?

Somebody knows this stuff, enlighten me!
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 6:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Just a question for those in the know...

Why would the dual recoil spring of a Gen4 Glock (in a G23 for example) cause the handgun to have less recoil than the single recoil spring of a Gen3 Glock (in a G23 for example)?

If the spring resistance weight is the same, they should feel the same, or at least very similar, right?
I think your logic is sound here.  I haven't noticed any difference; both have 17lb springs I believe

If the spring resistance weight is higher/more, then the slide cycle rate would be slowed down which tends to increase muzzle rise and perceived recoil, right? Or do I have that backwards?
I think the way it would feel would be different.  For instance, the 40 slides move faster than the 45 slide (I believe, read it a long time ago––not 100% on this) which created a different recoil impulse; punch vs push if you will.
If the spring resistance weight is lower/less, then the slide cycle rate would be faster which tends to get the slide back in battery quicker and reduces muzzle rise and perceived recoil, right? Isn't that what some game gunners do, use lower powered recoil springs for faster shooting? Or do I have that backwards?

Somebody knows this stuff, enlighten me!

Not sure that I'm in the know but I did my best in blue...
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice review. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/1/2012 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my Gen 4 G23 so much I bought another one in FDE.  I have over 1K rounds through each with no failures.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 1:59:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Much of this is not exclusive to Glocks, Their service is equaled by many companies, aftermarket is the only real  glowing endorsement that recommends Glocks over other comparable pistols; they are cheaper to own because of thier commonplaceness.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 9:38:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Much of this is not exclusive to Glocks, Their service is equaled by many companies, aftermarket is the only real  glowing endorsement that recommends Glocks over other comparable pistols; they are cheaper to own because of thier commonplaceness.

That's certainly true––-you can pick up a used holster for half of new on pretty much every forum around.   They are seemingly ubiquitous in the gun world.
Link Posted: 10/2/2012 5:07:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Your assessment mirrors mine.  I think the recoil is smoothed more than it is reduced, but I don't have enough experience with older models give a good assessment.  Overall, I think the recoil is tame for the size of the bullet sent downrange (180 grain, 10mm diameter).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top