Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2011 5:37:31 PM EDT
Hey guys, I am looking for a small 9mm pistol.  I went to the gun shop the other day and looked at a few pistols and the two that I liked were the Kahr CW9 and Ruger LC9.  I really like both, but wanted to check the reputation and track record of both guns.  So, please let me know how these guns stand up to use and abuse and which one would be best for a small carry weapon.
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 and P9 for years, and am very pleased with them.

No experience with that particular Ruger. A safety on a defensive handgun would be a deal-breaker for me, though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't forget the Keltec PF9 and Diamondback DB9 and the Kahr CM9

I'd get a KT PF9 over that Ruger knockoff. For about a hundred dollars less you get a smaller, thiner, lighter gun with a better trigger and less obnixious safety features.

The Kahr CM9 is smaller than the CW9 but still takes CW mags.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 2:33:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Kahr CW9 that is still in the break-in period. It has been fantastic. Compared to the Ruger there is no question....get the CW9.

Good luck with you decision
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I've been carrying a Kahr PM9 and P9 for years, and am very pleased with them.

No experience with that particular Ruger. A safety on a defensive handgun would be a deal-breaker for me, though.

The thing that turns me off on the Ruger is the multitude of lawyer-crap it is afflicted with: manual safety, loaded chamber indicator, magazine safety & integral lock. Well, that and the nasty trigger. My pick would be the CW9 by a mile. Much better trigger and a simpler design.

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I just got a CW9 that I like so far.  Only about 100 rounds through it, so I can't speak for reliability, but I do really like the way it shoots.  So far, so good.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a CW9 and it has been fantastic. It shoots very nicely, feels like a much bigger gun.  I also have a Kel-tec PF9 and it is easier to conceal, but not so nice to shoot.  It really jumps in your hand.

A little pron:

Link Posted: 8/17/2011 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had a cw9 for almost 2 years now and I like it.  One thing I can't get used to is the long trigger pull (to accustemed to my glocks).  It take quite a few rounds for me to get back on track with it.

I'd take the cw9 over the Ruger anyday.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#8]
CW9

Mine shot incredibly well...so well I picked up a PM40, used.  It had problems, and Kahr's customer service was outstanding.

They never asked any questions on my purchase of it used (even though it was through an FFL), and used/second owner never figured into their correction of the problem.

Fast communication, and all on their ticket.  AND they gave me a couple extra mags for my trouble.

Great products, and flawless customer service.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I own a CW9, and it is flawless.  I can shoot it well enough to be comfortable as well.  I recently shot the Ruger 9, and it seemed like it was good piece as well.

Something to consider is that you can go one level smaller with a LCP (.380) .  I think a .380 is a minimum caliber, but if you need a pocket pistol, thats the way to go.  if you are carrying IWB then the CW9 would be fine.  Im a little guy, but generally have no problems carrying my CW9 tucked inside the belt.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
CW9

Mine shot incredibly well...so well I picked up a PM40, used.  It had problems, and Kahr's customer service was outstanding.

They never asked any questions on my purchase of it used (even though it was through an FFL), and used/second owner never figured into their correction of the problem.

Fast communication, and all on their ticket.  AND they gave me a couple extra mags for my trouble.

How's the recoil of the PM40 vs. the CW9. Looking for something in that size, have .40's now and don't want to add a caliber unless it's worth it, Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/17/2011 6:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Quoted:

CW9

How's the recoil of the PM40 vs. the CW9. Looking for something in that size, have .40's now and don't want to add a caliber unless it's worth it, Thanks.
There is significantly more recoil in the PM40.  The shorter grip (only 2 fingers long with the pinky hanging off) makes for a very snappy pistol.  With the extended magazine which includes a grip extension the recoil is tempered somewhat.  It's a great pistol, and one I have a great amount of confidence with, but it is NOT one I would shoot for "fun".  I carry it lots, and shoot it monthly, but that's about it.  Another difference may be related to the spring/barrel length.  The PM series uses two nested springs to get the spring load, whereas the CW series uses a longer single spring on a plain guide rod.  I'm not too smart on how this makes a difference, but the 40 spring is shorter than the 9 by a significant amount.
If I'm shooting for score, extended sessions, or for fun, I much prefer my CZ in 40S&W.  With the PM40, those last 20 or so of a 100 round box get a bit sloppy unless I bear down.
IMHO the PM40 is truly a deep cover concealed carry firearm.  It carrys well, shoots well and cleans nicely.  It does not make for a plinker.  One thing to note is the PM40 (I think) uses a polygonal style rifling, and the CW series uses cut type rifling.  (That may not be the proper terms for the difference.)
Edit:  The CW40 is also a fine firearm.  A good shooting buddy of mine has one (he bought a CW9, then moved up to the CW40).  His CW40 is also high quality, and handles eaiser than the PM40.  That said, I would replace my PM40 with another PM, and I would not go to the CW series simply because I have the right mags and holster for it.  I also have a high level of confidence in the model.  Either would be a fine choice.

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#12]
The Kahr is nice for the price. My wife has one. It has a great (but long) trigger and can bounce a pop can all day at 20 yards. We have run about 350-400 rounds through it over the past few years and it has had one malfunction. It also eats 147 grain Ranger Bonded with no issue.

I have no experience with the Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 5:18:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Go with the Kahr and don't look back.  My P9 is a great gun, accurate, decent trigger, light and thin, easy to carry.  My buddy's Ruger LC9 has one of the worst triggers I have ever shot,  accuracy was okay but I will never get used to that trigger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I can't really write about the Ruger but I've had a CW9 for about a year now and like the gun. It's only got about 500 rnds through it but it's been reliable so far. It's a much better shooter than you would expect from a CCW gun and the trigger isn't at all bad. The gun has a long trigger pull but it's not too heavy and it's very smooth.  Very revolver like.  It is a double action pistol so don't expect a M1911 feel to the trigger. It's not that kind of gun.
This pistol has a good feel to it and is a pleasure to shoot. It carries well (Crossbreed holster) and I would recommend it for more than simply CCW.  I think that it could cross over into the home defense role if you didn't have the money for two guns.
Sturmgewehre did a good review of the LC9 on YouTube. I have no first hand experience with the weapon so I'll refrain from praising or trashing the gun.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have had a Kahr CW9 on me everyday for a little more than 3 years now, great pistol for the money. As others have said it takes a little getting used to the trigger pull to be really accurate with it, but once you do it is as accurate as a full size pistol. I have never had a malfunction of any kind, the only thing is once in a while the barrel hood and the rear sight will get a little rust if I dont oil them once a month or so. Like I said I carry it everyday and I work construction outside so it gets lots of sweet, rain, dust etc.

I have not shot a Ruger LC9, but I have shot the LCP, and the Kahr is my pick no contest. I think they are both great companies, and have nothing really against the Ruger, but Kahrs have a pretty good track record.

I have had many people shoot my CW9 and most of them like it, even most women can shoot it without complaining about recoil/pain. The only real complaint anybody has had was one of my Army buddies claimed the hump in the trigger guard pinched his finger between it and the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#16]
The trigger on the LC9 is terrible.

The Kahr is like a tuned S&W DAO revolver.

Shoot both.  This may not matter to you.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#17]
CW9

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]

Had the kahr now have the lc9.I like both maybe kahr better. Like the feel of the lc9. Who cares about trigger. Its a belly gun. Trigger is just fine for conceal carry.  I think both are good guns

Quoted:
The trigger on the LC9 is terrible.

The Kahr is like a tuned S&W DAO revolver.

Shoot both.  This may not matter to you.

Link Posted: 8/20/2011 4:35:24 PM EDT
[#19]
CW9. I have 475 rds through it and its been perfect, very accurate and a real gem to carry. Much more than I can say about the PT709 I had.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 12:07:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'd get a KT PF9 over that Ruger knockoff. For about a hundred dollars less you get a smaller, thiner, lighter gun with a better trigger and less obnixious safety features.

And dont forget that renowned piss poor performance you get with owning a KT product. Oh, but their CS is fantastic and youll get to know them by name since youll be sending it back for repairs on a regular basis.

Id go with the CW if you dont want a safety, LC9 if you do, and if youve lost the desire to live...the KT.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 1:48:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And dont forget that renowned piss poor performance you get with owning a KT product. Oh, but their CS is fantastic and youll get to know them by name since youll be sending it back for repairs on a regular basis.

Id go with the CW if you dont want a safety, LC9 if you do, and if youve lost the desire to live...the KT.

I guess we've had different experiences.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have a Kahr CW9 that is still in the break-in period. It has been fantastic. Compared to the Ruger there is no question....get the CW9.

Good luck with you decision

This!!!  no comparison!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#23]
I have owned them both and like the Kahr better because of the trigger.  I like my Kahr PM9 the best.  Do spend money for the Black Diamond finish.  Don't spend money on night sights.
Link Posted: 8/23/2011 3:07:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my KAHR ....
"and Kahr's customer service was outstanding."

This is my experience as well
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a P9 with 3000+ rounds through it. Great gun with enough grip to get 3 fingers wrapped around it, CW9 has the same frame, highly recommened it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't overlook the walther pps. It's skinny but uses a glock style trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Between those two I would personally go with the Kahr.  It feels better in my hand and I like the trigger pull better.  That's just my personal prefference, go with what feels best to you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#28]
My wife has a CW9 for CC and loves it. It's shoots like a much larger gun. Has put around 400 rounds through it and never had a malfunction.

On a whim I bought a LC9. Ran two magazines through it. Her cousin now owns it.

To me they don't even compare and I think I gave $39 more for the Kahr. WELL worth the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top