Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2004 7:19:03 PM EDT
Hey Guys...

I had the chance to shoot a mag through a Styre .40 cal this weekend. It was a sweet shooting gun.  Recoil seemed very mild for a .40 cal.  

What do yall think?  

The "Preditor" sights were a new expereience for me as well.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:31:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You mean a Steyr?

How are the triangular sights? I always wanted to try one to see what they are like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Got one. Sweet shooting pistol. It is the most instinctive pointing pistol I've ever fired(caveat.. this is an individual thing due to size/shape of shooter's hand relating to the size/shape of the grip)

Love it.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 9:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You mean a Steyr?

How are the trianglar sights? I always wanted to try one to see what they are like.

Okay.... so I didnt look up how to spell it before posting... guilty.

The triangular sights were... well... different. I only got to shoot one mag thru it at 7 yards, but it didnt take me but one or two shots to find the POI on the sights... they seem like they would be good at fast target acquisition in a defensive scenerio.  My experience with just that one mag is enough to make me want to consider getting one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an S40 and I love it.

It's my carry pistol when I do carry. The sights are great, but not really target sights, I can get better groupings with my Sprigfield 1911A1 or my FN-HP, but not as fast. These sights are made for hitting that 8 inch circle in the center of the BG's chest as fast as possible out to 25 yards, like those lazy 8 express sights.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:15:43 AM EDT
[#5]
mmmmm  I've been intrigued by these for some time. may have to make a trip to CDNN sometime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Wasn't there some long thread last month about these pistols w/ links to other forum?
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#7]
probably gonna grab 1 now that i can get big mags.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:38:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I have both the M9 and M40, they sure are nice, fast target acquisition, low recoil, short trigger break, 300-350 range, what not to like
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wasn't there some long thread last month about these pistols w/ links to other forum?

GlockTalk has a Steyr Club HERE

BTW, cornbread2 will be here soon to tell us all how stupid we are for wanting an unsafe pistil.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, cornbread2 will be here soon to tell us all how stupid we are for wanting an unsafe pistil.

Yeah I remember that post - about how the 1911 is so safe and the Steyr isn't.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I remember that post - about how the 1911 is so safe and the Steyr isn't.

POST?

Go to any firearm related forum on the WWW and run a search for cornbread or cornbread2, you will find him railing agaist the Steyr pistols.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Go to any firearm related forum on the WWW and run a search for cornbread or cornbread2, you will find him railing agaist the Steyr pistols.

You will also find the same bunch of morons that don't even know the difference between SA and DAO trying to prove me wrong.

Anyone so damn stupid to think the Steyr is a DAO pistol is much too damn stupid to get into an adult conversation about the drop safety of a pistol they have already proven they know NOTHING about so their so called "opinion" don't mean shit to me.

Yours does not also.

I know what I know and I know what I have seen.

Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
TADAA!
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I know what I know and I know what I have seen.

I AM WHAT I AM

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
mmmmm  I've been intrigued by these for some time. may have to make a trip to CDNN sometime.

So your are "intrigued" by these pistols.

To me that means you have no experience with them and have no idea how they function but you KNOW I am wrong.

That seems like another "opinion" from someone that knows NOTHING about the Steyr pistol.

Another "opinion" from someone whose "opinion" don't mean shit to me or ANYONE else that knows how the Steyr pistol functions.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So your are "intrigued" by these pistols.

To me that means you have no experience with them and have no idea how they function but you KNOW I am wrong.

That seems like another "opinion" from someone that knows NOTHING about the Steyr pistol.

Another "opinion" from someone whose "opinion" don't mean shit to me or ANYONE else that knows how the Steyr pistol functions.

Have you ever considered anger management counseling?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]
You think I need it?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:36:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Have you ever considered looking at your pistol and it's safety devices or it's lack of safety devices before you carry it?

Does this mean the 1911 isnt a good deisng either?

Or do you not trust a 1911 series 70 because it has no firing pin lockout either(Not 100% drop safe)
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#19]
The series 70 1911 has something to stop the fall of the hammer if the sear failed. In fact it has TWO things.

The manaul safety and the half cock notch.

The Steys has NOTHING.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Steys has NOTHING.

I'm sure you've been through this before. But according to the site and pictures, the Steyr have a safety. It is disengaged right above the trigger.

As for the 1911 will not fire if dropped, where do you get your info on that?

Do you have a personaly experience with the Steyr failing?

I am not sure why you are so against this gun, I dont have one, but would like to know why this gun so so much worse than any other guns on the market.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:53:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I just told you why it is not as drop safe as most guns including the 1911.

Try reading my posts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just told you why it is not as drop safe as most guns including the 1911.

Try reading my posts.

1911 is not drop safe.

Never been, atleast the series 70.

I think you posted so much you didnt read it your self.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:10:44 PM EDT
[#23]
The series 70 1911 can possibly fire from firing pin travel if it is droped from a good distance muzzle down on a very hard surface. This is possible but it has to be droped a good long distance.

Good carry guns such as Glocks, Sigs, Berettas and such CAN NOT FIRE without a trigger pull.

The Steyr with a worn or out of spec trigger group can fire without a trigger pull without even being droped. All it needs is a slight shock such as hitting the pistol on a doorway with it in your holster.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 1:57:53 PM EDT
[#24]
You guys can save your time argueing with cornbread2 and just read these threads at THR and TFL, he will only repeat the same thing here that he repeats everywhere, plus you'll get good info about why they are safe from others that have studied the pistol and traded emails with Steyr about this issue.

Here at THR

Here at THR

Here at TFL

Here at TFL

Here at TFL

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:33:39 PM EDT
[#25]
The overall vast majority of the posters at THR and TFL are idiots that don't even know or understand simple basic gun design.

This is PROVEN by all the morons there that think the Steyr is a DAO and that the Glock is a SA.

These idiots own these guns and carry them in public but they have proven many times over on the threads you yourself have linked to that they know NOTHING about  the gun they carry.

It takes a really dumb SOB to go into the general public with a loaded weapon that  they know NOTHING about.

It is an act of extreme wanton endangerment when someone carries a loaded weapon in a public place around innocent people when they are too fucking stupid to understand how it works and how it's internal safetys and it's lack of internal safetys affect it's drop safety. These idiots should be locked up far away from innocent people.

Many of these morons admit they know NOTHING about the gun and have never even seen one but they KNOW they are safe.

The bullshit threads you just posted mean only one thing.

The average gun owner knows nothing about the gun he carries and has no intention of learning anything about it.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Dude... calm down, I was just doing you a favor, now you won't have to repeat the same stuff you've allready repeated many times. I'm making your life easier.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#27]
How do you ignore a user completely with this forum software?

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#28]
So it has a possibility of going off if its dropped?  Is that your only arguement?  Only time I plan on dropping a handgun is when I die, and even then Im going to do my best to protect the finish.  Hell I might go buy one just because someone said its a dangerous gun.  I dont think any of my guns have a firing pin block, if I recall correctly thats a option only neccessary in California.  I dont ever want something to be in the way of my firing pin and the primer besides air.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#29]
hate to interrupt this love fest kids,

i love my M40 ,   i swear the trigger breaks like a glass rod at 1.5 lbs....
not crazy bout the sights, anyone know where's i can gets me some trijicons?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Somebody over at the Steyr Club on GlockTalk put a primered casing in his and on a bet dropped it on the ice (winter time on a lake) 50 times* and it never went off.

*To be fair, the number is the above story might be a bit off, but I believe those are the facts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

not crazy bout the sights, anyone know where's i can gets me some trijicons?

Steyr sells them

usasteyr.com
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Somebody over at the Steyr Club on GlockTalk put a primered casing in his and on a bet dropped it on the ice (winter time on a lake) 50 times* and it never went off.

*To be fair, the number is the above story might be a bit off, but I believe those are the facts.

Remember, it's gotta be one of them worn, out of spec, ratty Steyrs!

Steyr Mannlicher USA, Inc.
311 South Hwy 45 Alt.
West Point, MS 39773
Telephone (662) 492-8924
Fax (662) 492-8996

DTSS (Diamond Trail Shooting Supply)
Steyr Repair Center
1660 160th St.
Waverly, Iowa 50667

(641) 623-3096
fax (641) 623-5672

Call it in Cornbread, explain the issue with them.  The M-A1 will be out in a little while, and into the hands of even more "uneducated" people.

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#33]
I have not posted here often, but I thought it would be about time.  I own a Kimber Custom II and a Steyr M40.  To be honest it is a toss up, I love them both to death.  Steyr has made an incredible product which in my opinion is better than any other polymer frame pistol out there, the only other one that comes close, and very close indeed is the XD.  Sorry to all you Glock fans but after firing multiple models I have found Glock anti-climactic.  The M40 is a tack driver, has a surprisinlgy comfortable grip, and extremely quick target acquisition time.  The sights are different but once one gets used to them they work like a charm.  I have had no problems with my Steyr as it performs day after day.  Now all I need is the high cap magazines for it and I will be living well.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 7:53:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Oh and one more thing, I noticed somebody here doesn't like Steyr.......I think we all know who that is by now.  I am a Marine Infantryman, I sell firearms, and have had extensive knowledge about weapons.  The Steyr is my weapon of choice for concealed carry.  I have never dropped it because I take the precautions not to and I think this discussion being brought up is off topic.  If somebody wants to rant about how much they hate this pistol fine, but lets have a somewhat civilized discussion.  Rheotoric will help you win more arguments my friend, not ranting and raving like a lunatic. Take no offense for I mean none, but I would like to know of your personal experience with Steyr for it seems that you have accusations and finger pointing but no experience . . . actually you could go into politics with that approach.  But I hope that you have had experience so as not to give a pistol a bad name if you know nothing about it.  Take it for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Upon handling Badge's Steyr, I can state that there were only two features about it that I disliked--the heavy trigger and the sights.

The trigger could easily be cleaned up by a decent 'smith, and the sights'd just take some getting used to, I guess.  Even though I have yet to fire the thing, I was unable to find fault with it upon close personal inspection.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Oh and one more thing, I noticed somebody here doesn't like Steyr.......I think we all know who that is by now.  I am a Marine Infantryman, I sell firearms, and have had extensive knowledge about weapons.  The Steyr is my weapon of choice for concealed carry.  I have never dropped it because I take the precautions not to and I think this discussion being brought up is off topic.  If somebody wants to rant about how much they hate this pistol fine, but lets have a somewhat civilized discussion.  Rheotoric will help you win more arguments my friend, not ranting and raving like a lunatic. Take no offense for I mean none, but I would like to know of your personal experience with Steyr for it seems that you have accusations and finger pointing but no experience . . . actually you could go into politics with that approach.  But I hope that you have had experience so as not to give a pistol a bad name if you know nothing about it.  Take it for what it is worth.

First off I have NEVER said I don't like the Steyr. I like the Steyr. I shoot the Steyrs better than most anything I have ever shot.  They make great range guns and IDPA type guns.

I have said that it is not as safe as most other modern designs and if you have "extensive knowledge about weapons" you have to know this. No one that completly knows and understands it's design would assume it is as safe as most other modern designs.

As far as experience I was shooting and repairing the Steyr pistols YEARS ago long before the vast majority of you guys even heard of them.

I would own one now if they would change the design of the trigger group.

Also you claim to be an Marine Infantryman but you assume that you could never drop a gun.

Apparently your "infantry experience" is limited to playing army with blank rounds and you have never been in combat.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:02:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

So we have a DAO trigger that breaks like a "glass rod" at 1.5lbs?

At least this guy seems to know it is a single action. I will give him credit for at least knowing the difference.

The trigger on the Steyr pistols vary a lot because they all have different sear engagement. Some like his has very little and some have as much as a about an 1/8 inch. If you can handle a lot of these guns at once you will see a huge varaition in trigger weight and creep.

Take one like his with very little sear engagement and after some wear on the parts and a little wear on the frame rails where the slide has some up and down movement then it has even less of the sear holding the FULLY COCKED striker to the rear and you have a dangerous pistol because the Steyr HAS NOTHING TO STOP THE FORWARD MOVEMENT OF THE STRIKER if the sear fails to hold the striker.

I really can't see how this is so hard to understand for some of you.
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:15:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
How do you ignore a user completely with this forum software?

No need to bother.

I have made my last post on this board.

I tried to let a few people that lack the ability to understand basic gun design become aware of the lack of the proper internal safety systems of the Steyr.

As useall for going to the trouble of trying to save someones life I get all the bullshit from completly STUPID people who know NOTHING about the design of this pistol.

Sooner or later since so many people now are buying these pistols it WILL happen. Someone WILL be killed by an AD with one of these pistols. Most likely by one of you morons that are too fucking stupid to know anything about your own pistol.

Most of the idiots that think I am wrong cant even field strip their own fucking pistol much less know how it works.

And then we get MORONS such as youself that don't even own one or has even seen one that assumes that they know more about them than I do.

Once again I am tired of dealing with stupid people so you people can take this board and stick it in your ass.

FUCK you and all the rest of you morons and "experts" and " highly trained warriors" that know about as much about gun design as I know about flying the space shuttle.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 7:23:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Regardless, since I don't carry with one in the pipe, even if true, this is not an issue for me. It's enough for me to have a weapon "at hand", which I can take the two seconds needed to cock if it is needed... I don't really buy into the "quick draw" scenario as I am not LE.  If danger is iminent, I will "lock and load" at that time. I carry Sigs and HKs now, which are "drop safe" but still don't carry with one in the pipe.  So this issue really doesn't bother me, if the pistol works for me in all other ways.

Cornbread2, regardless of differences in opinion we may all have, there is no merit in becoming extremely insulting and using foul language. You make a better case by arguing the finer points and facts of the issue as you are obviously capable of. Your credibility is not increased by insulting others, whether or not they have insulted you. It is possible to discuss firearms without making it a personal issue.

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 8:44:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Cornbread:

I'm quite positive that I'm reading Badge correctly when he states that he means no offense.  In point of fact, I talked to him on the phone just minutes after he made that post, and he was quite clear to me that he was just asking you some reasonable questions.  There's no need to explode on him and question the validity of his service to his country.

And yes, he is a Marine.  And a close personal friend of mine.  He served as an antiarmor missileman with 3/5 as a lance corporal in 2001, and was in officer training until injuring himself at Officer Candidates' School in Quantico Virginia this summer.

Disagreeing with somebody's fair enough.  I'm a staunch supporter of the theory of multiple schools of thought.  But randomly dumping on someone who's just asking you some simple questions is another thing altogether, and uncalled for.  Sure, you seem secure in your knowledge about the design properties of the weapon.  Heck, you even like them.  And maybe you're tired of explaining their weaknesses to us mere mortals over and over again.  But that's absolutely no excuse for telling Badge, among other people, to fuck off or belittle their service to our nation.

I also mean no offense.  I'm just calling your behavior as I see it.

Tact, man, tact.

Finally--and this is more plaing devil's advocate than anything else--I noticed a certain similarity between your argument and the Brady Campaign's.

"Fuck all of you semi-automatic assault weapon owners!  Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it won't!  Sooner or later Al-Qaeda will buy a bunch of Armalites and blow away the White House with their devastating firepower!"
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Was that last line a quote?  Sounds harsh, like something from a Michael Moore movie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#42]
I was very interested in buying one but then they just disappeared.  Then I see them offered for around $335, a ridiculously low price for a pistol from a company with Styer's rep.  What gives?

Cheers
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:22:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I was very interested in buying one but then they just disappeared.  Then I see them offered for around $335, a ridiculously low price for a pistol from a company with Styer's rep.  What gives?

Cheers

I'm not positive, but I believe it had something to do with Steyr's U.S. distributer going bankrupt, so there where all the pistols here with nobody to sell them, they got sold off in Bulk, CDNN bought alot of them, I've also seen a few at smaller stores. I bought mine at Sportsmans Wharehouse in AZ for $370, which at the time was what it would have cost from CDNN with shipping and FFL transfer fee, CDNN's price has since dropped about $40.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:37:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Was that last line a quote?  Sounds harsh, like something from a Michael Moore movie.

Oh, no.  It's not a direct quote--just a paraphrase of something I read over at the Brady Bunch's website.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:10:42 AM EDT
[#45]

I bought mine at Sportsmans Wharehouse in AZ for $370, which at the time was what it would have cost from CDNN with shipping and FFL transfer fee, CDNN's price has since dropped about $40.

Got mine NIB for $299. Snatched that sucker up in a heartbeat. Best deal on a pistol I've ever run across in a funstore. Sorry, it was the last one they had.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I am glad to see more people interested in the Steyr and such a good natured discussion in the works.  It pays dividends when we are civilized doesn't ith.gif?  I am somewhat frustrated that they dropped price even more cause I got mine for $400... I feel cheated!!  Actually not really just wanted a better deal.  However, would anyone have an idea if it is possible to swap the barrel and the magazine in the .40 to make it a .357?  Thanks gents,

Badge

And the dog said, "It's not my beer!"
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#47]
I think you can swap barrels.

Those guys would know.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#48]
So what is the consensus?  Dangerous or not dangerous to carry?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw one in person at Fountain Firearms yesterday,

Really neat gun, cmfortable and good balance. And yes it does have a Safety!!!

If it was in .45 ACP or 9mm I would have prob bought it, but they were asking like $450 for it used when it sells new everywhere for under $300?

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
So what is the consensus?  Dangerous or not dangerous to carry?

I can tell you that I believe they are safe, and so do many others. There is a small group that believe they are great pistols, but unsafe for daily carry.

On the first page I posted links to 4 different threads on other forums where this topic was fought out, I've also posted a link to the Steyr Club at Glock Talk. research them and form your own opinion.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top