Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2010 9:24:40 PM EDT
I find this revolver intriguing. I've been wanting to add a wheelgun to my collection But have never been a huge fan of snubbie revolvers.  I came across this though and it intrigued me.  Its made from a J frame but has a 3 inch barrel, and a bit longer grip. Anyone have one of these.  How do you like it if so.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 60 Pro, same gun, slightly different look. It is very nice. I don't try to shoot full power .357 in it, but prefer slightly milder loads. I have Pachmayr Gripper grips on mine. Works very well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:15:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Lusted after one for a long time.  Took advantage of the recent S&W military discount program and ordered the Pro model.  Can't wait to get my hands on it.  Get one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:27:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd take a pre-lock one any day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 4:45:24 AM EDT
[#4]
10 opinions/observations . . . .

1.) Rather than a Model 60, I would look for one with a bobbed hammer, or a hammerless version. These are carry guns and should be relatively snag-free.
2.) I REALLY like wheel guns and have several of them. I prefer them to autos.
3.) I have a M 638, but only out of desire for something small and light. I generally don't like J frames that much
4.) J frame triggers are not nearly as nice as K/L frame triggers. Never will be, due to the difference in spring type
5.) the triggers on K/L frames are wonderful . . . or can be.
6.) Shooting magnum loads out of J frame will NOT be fun. Shooting a K/L is a joy
7.) 3 inch barrels are cool . . . they also provide more positive extraction of spent shells
8.) I would hate to think that someone would judge revolvers based on J frames. They don't suck, but the K/L frame guns are SO much nicer
9.) I would recommend a K/L as a first wheelgun
10.) You shouldn't listen to me. You should do what YOU want to do. If the 3-inch M60 appeals to  you, then get it.

Oh yeah, one more . . . PRE-LOCK all the way!
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
10 opinions/observations . . . .

1.) Rather than a Model 60, I would look for one with a bobbed hammer, or a hammerless version. These are carry guns and should be relatively snag-free.
2.) I REALLY like wheel guns and have several of them. I prefer them to autos.
3.) I have a M 638, but only out of desire for something small and light. I generally don't like J frames that much
4.) J frame triggers are not nearly as nice as K/L frame triggers. Never will be, due to the difference in spring type
5.) the triggers on K/L frames are wonderful . . . or can be.
6.) Shooting magnum loads out of J frame will NOT be fun. Shooting a K/L is a joy
7.) 3 inch barrels are cool . . . they also provide more positive extraction of spent shells
8.) I would hate to think that someone would judge revolvers based on J frames. They don't suck, but the K/L frame guns are SO much nicer
9.) I would recommend a K/L as a first wheelgun
10.) You shouldn't listen to me. You should do what YOU want to do. If the 3-inch M60 appeals to  you, then get it.

Oh yeah, one more . . . PRE-LOCK all the way!

can you make some model recommendations in the K/L frames?
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:41:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I always liked that model, but never found a deal on a used one.  The grips are fugly.  Needs more wood.

Make sure you find a good one.  I had a chiefs special that was covered with terrible machine marks.  It worked fine, but was not worth premium pricing.  I only paid $125 for it and traded it for an $800 frige in a divorce deal.  

As far as L frame, the 686 is hard to beat.

K frame would be a 66 or 67.  I have a 686 and a 67, and I love them both.  Look for vintage guns.  The newer ones with locks are garbage.  I think some of the newer 67s are potmetal with steel liners.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Model 65 if you like fixed sights the way I do.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/johnrippert/65-3.jpg

Those grips are so stinkin small.  Are there decent replacement grips that add a bit of girth them?  Thats one of my gripes about old school revolvers.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:14:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Those grips are so stinkin small.  Are there decent replacement grips that add a bit of girth them?  Thats one of my gripes about old school revolvers.

Putting larger stocks on a concealment gun sort of defeats the purpose of a smaller gun. A Tyler T grip adapter will fill the area behind the triggerguard and add a little more grip area.

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

can you make some model recommendations in the K/L frames?

Someone else already recommended the 3-inch barrel Model 65. That is one of my favorite handguns. I have one and will pick up another someday. It's a great carry gun –– just slightly larger than the Model 60 you are looking at, but six-shots and a much better trigger. Just a great, great package.

Otherwise, the Model 19/66 is a classic. You don't want to shoot a steady diet of magnums out of it, but otherwise it's really sweet. As someone else mentioned, the L-frame 686 is a really nice revolver. I have three of them, including the 3-inch barrel CS-1 in my avatar photo. Really, any of the K or L frames will be nice. It's just a matter of what features you want. I posted a list of model numbers in another thread recently so I'll include it here to help you sort through the options. Just one other thing. A lot of guys really like the old N frames (Model 27 and 28). They sure seem nice, but I've never owned or shot one so I'm not qualified to comment. I have owned a mess of medium frames and they've all been nice. Also, I've owned a few J-frames, too. They have their place, but they're not as nice to shoot as the K & L frame guns. My usual carry gun is a J-frame 638.

Here's a quickie breakdown of S&W medium frame .38 and .357 magnum revolvers . . . the common ones anyway. These are all the old pre-lock models. Some of these are currently available from S&W, either under the same number or a new number assigned to the current "Classic" lineup. Incidently, the K and L take the same grips, but the frame/cylinder is beefier on the L. Also, the L's generally have a full underlug on the barrel. With K frames, they say to shoot mostly .38 special, with occasional magnums. The L frames are designed for pretty steady magnum use.

K FRAME S&W Model #s
.38 special/Blue
fixed - 10
adjustable - 14, 15

.38 special/Stainless:
fixed - 64
adjustable - 67

.357 magnum/Blue:
fixed - 13
adjustable - 19

.357 magnum/Stainless:
fixed - 65
adjustable - 66

L FRAME S&W Model #s
.357 magnum/Blue:
fixed - 581
adjustable - 586

.357 magnum/Stainless:
fixed - 681
adjustable - 686

Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tons of grip options . . . wood, rubber, you name it. Small, medium, large, whatever you want.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 7:51:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Love it.  I originally bought it to pack while hunting and now use it as a carry gun OWB too.  The smaller grip is a benefit for packing around.  It is not a range gun, so I don't care if 357 kicks like a mule in it.

It must be a favored model since I keep getting people wanting to buy it from me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:43:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a no dash Model 60 38Spl. and it was very unpleasant to shoot with the small wood grips.  I have Hogue Bantam grips on it now and it's much nicer to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I would like one, just to shoot 38 specials out of for fun.  It's something smaller than a K frame, but with a longer barrel than 1 7/8"-2", but....the price on those three inch, adjustable sight models drives me away from them every time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 3:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I have this exact same pistol. I have not shot it a lot, but I do like it. I like the convenience of the 3 inch barrel.

This pistol was my Dad's and I got it after he died. Needless to say I will not be getting rid of it. It will be my son's one day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2010 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Love it. J frame with full loads isn't as bad as you might think. At least in a all steel 3inch J frame. I'd buy it with confidence and have fun with it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top