Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2013 10:34:48 PM EDT
So after making a great trade for my last Mark III 22/45, I decided to pick up the Gold anodized Lite before it disappeared.  I wasn't fond of it when first released, but it certainly grew on me and after fondling one locally I loved the weight distribution compared to my old bull barrel.  Once I heard Ruger was discontinuing the gold I had to have it.

Still have yet to fire, but unlike my last Ruger which liked to choke from the plethora of safety "upgrades", I decided to dismantle this one.  Took out the Loaded Chamber Indicator, decided to just remove the entire portion, no filler necessary as far as I've read.

I also went ahead and removed the ball and detent spring from the slide release so as to have the "slingshot" mod.  

Finally, I shopped around and did the washer trick to rid myself of the most dreaded feature of all, the Mag catch.  This one was a bit tricker than the others, as I had to find the correct washers.  For those looking, I've done the research for you via internet.  Can't remember where I got the info, but here's the sizes you need:

2 - M5 flat washers
   1 - #10 flat washer

I got mine in stainless steel.  Seems the center is just slightly too small and you will have to open them up a bit.  I opened the center with a Dremel tool and then used a debur tool after to clean up rough edges.  I'm going to assume guys attempting this have easy access to a dremel.  The M5 washer that goes next to the hammer will need a slight grind along one edge to fit flush against the hammer as well.  

Now my 22/45 is ready to go.  The freefall mag is AWESOME!  I can also disassemble now without a magazine inserted (Praise the Lord!).  Hoping to put a few rounds through it tomorrow.  I've had a 22/45 before, but it was a little ammo picky and as stated, I do like the feel of the lighter barrel.  Hoping for much better reliability with this one.

(Note):  For guys that want to do this and don't want to buy a part but rather just go the washer method for magazine disconnect, these links are crucial if you've never tore your 22/45 down to this level.  Here's where I got my info, credit where due.  Read the whole thread, the washers I used are mentioned later, limit all the modification to the washers.

Washer mod

And to put it all back together, albeit Nutnfancy is installing the Volquartsen trigger kit.  Good up-close camera, though.

Nutnfancy Volquartsen Trigger Install
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top