User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2008 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm.... I'm heavily debating this gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2008 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Just bought my PPS that I have been stroking/fondling/drooling over for the past month and half since one of the local shops got one.  On Fri I said I'll take it, today I got a chance to put about 50 rounds downrange.
Impressions are that it is much easier to control/keep on target than my S&W 38+P Airweight.
This is of course expected and due to less muzzle flip.
I use a Costco diaper box or banana box for my target at 15 yds. Qwick draw and rapid fire, with the PPS all rounds go into the box, with the 38 I have not been able to repeat this I usually get 3 of 5 in the box. Again this is due to the  revolver having more muzzle rise. The semi auto just absorbs more of the recoil.
I am very happy with my choice!
Now to just find a good holster that fits me
Good luck all
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 12:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have about 600 rounds down range with the PPS, two stove pipe FTE's early, nothing since, I shot it side by side with my Glock 26 last weekend, it is really hard to say there is any difference other than the grip, the PPS is bascially a G26 that got run over by a steam roller, the muzzle flip and recoil are basically the same as far as I can tell, the PPS is so much thinner when you go to conceal it that I think it is going to be a winner....that is if this slide lock problem doesn't rear it's head....
Link Posted: 2/14/2008 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my PPS early this week. Haven't shot it much, 350 rounds or so. Had some time available, 2 evenings, so...

I only shoot 124 gr Golden Saber and 100 gr Power Ball (mixed), so I will not be much of a resource for various rounds. 100 rounds of Power Ball so far, the rest GS. Groups are GREAT, so the gun shoots way better than I do. A major plus. No problems so far, trigger started rough, smoothing out.

This is #576.

Would have liked a standard model, but this is the first one I found, so I bought it ($565). It might eventually replace my P7M8 (main carry) and my 340PD backup. I had been trying to get a 9mm cylinder for the 340PD (nice gun for those wondering); the 340PD replaced a 940, also a nice gun, love the 5 rnd full moons, nine is fine, so hence the desire for a "940PD".

So why didn't they use Ti for the slide? Sc? Did they need the mass of steel for timing? Spring changes wouldn't work? Not sure there was a market? Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I am very happy with mine , it seems to fill that 'size niche ' I have been looking for.

Perfect size.

I need more mags for it!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I definitely want one of these PPS's.
I have to wait til they're approved for "Maryland's Approved Handgun List" though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up two of 'em.  One is an FE, the other is black.  There is one other major known issue out there with these, but it didn't stop me from buying them.  The interchangeable backstraps act as a trigger disconnect/decock feature.  That said, they are fairly lightweight plastic for a critical part.  Some people had reported problems with them seating correctly back on the frame, and lo and behold, my black one exhibited that very problem. Neither strap would reengage.  That put such a bug in my butt that I flew out to the local Gander and picked up the FE I knew they had.  It was over priced, but I did ok on the black one, so I figured it averaged out.  Took the backstraps from the black one, they worked on the FE, and the ones from the FE worked on the Black one.  Seems like a minor tolerance issue.

That said, Walther is willing to send you new backstraps, however, they don't have them in stock and tell you to 'call back in a couple weeks', which could be frustrating.

Range reports inbound this week. Now everyone go look at my ads in the EE, I gotta pay for this somehow!
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 5:52:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, it's high time for one of you 'smithys out there to come up with a workaround for the backstrap decock etc. thingy. That was most likely only done to satisfy some libs for import. I wonder if you can order other parts from Germany to do away with it completely. You know S&W won't tell you!

Jeff
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I found some holsters!!!!!!

DeSantis has some for the PPS!!!!

www.desantisholster.com/gun-models-walther-pps.html
Link Posted: 2/19/2008 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I found some too ,  Mr. Miller has my PPS making me a tuckable IWB, it should be done next week.  (he is also doing a IDPA holster for my Smith 646 and a few knife sheaths)  His work is tops and he does stuff to order how you want it.

Link Posted: 2/21/2008 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#11]
It looks to me like the backstrap could be highly improved by going to a proper metal clip with more relief on the latching catch.  If I had the means, it would be a simple thing to fix.  Unforunately, the factory clips have so little material in them that modification is probably not an option.  I'd love to see a metal backstrap with a soft rubber insert, possibly in the different sizes?  

C'mon, someone with a shop want some ideas?
Link Posted: 2/21/2008 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have to wait til they're approved for "Maryland's Approved Handgun List" though.

They got approved a few days ago!

http://mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

Search for Walther and you will see the PPS
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They got approved a few days ago!

http://mdsp.org/services/handgun.asp

Search for Walther and you will see the PPS

The search is on for a black one.

ETA-Just found a used one LNIB for $500. Only 75 rds fired.
Link Posted: 2/27/2008 6:59:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Good price, grab that puppy!  I shot mine this last weekend, and I absolutely love it.  I'm actually better with it than my XD, which is saying something.  The trigger is very very good.  Have fun with it!
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 7:30:05 AM EDT
[#15]
How is the trigger reset with the PPS ? Similar to a Glock ?
Link Posted: 3/8/2008 7:59:09 AM EDT
[#16]
don't have a glock myself, but compared the XD, it's got a crisper break and more tactile reset.
Link Posted: 3/13/2008 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Just put 200 rounds through mine that I bought this past weekend.

100 WWB, and 100 Aguila, with no malfuntions of any kind.

I'm shooting a little left with it, but I don't know yet if it's the sights, or me trying to over control such a thin gun.
Link Posted: 5/27/2008 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/14/2008 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/15/2008 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I got my holsters made and they work well.

Link Posted: 6/20/2008 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Had mine for about a month now.
300 rounds down range. 1 FTF with wifey shooting, but I think it was form related.
I married the PPS to a Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB, and am I pleased.
Haven't tried a variety of ammo, but if reliability continues, I will relegate my double-stacked glocks to the safe. The pps is much more comfortable to carry.

The crossbreed has a 1 month turn-a-round, but it is a comfortable rig and good quality.

I'd like to hear if anyone is running a SOB holster that is comfortable. I wonder if the gun is too long for a "tilted" carry.
Link Posted: 6/23/2008 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I pick up a .40 today, headed to the range in the AM.

Link Posted: 6/23/2008 8:16:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I shot mine at an action pistol match again tonight.  It ran fine during the match, but in warm up I had another failure to eject where the case is spun 180 degrees and the slide closes on it while trying to strip a new round.  This is the fourth time this malfunction has occurred and the only kind of malfunction I've had.

any thoughts?

I can take a stab at it.  The case "ejected" prior to hitting the ejector itself.  This could be extractor tension, or a burr on the extractor (or breech face) that could do this.  The upward pressure from the cartridge underneath on the magazine upset the extractor's "grip", which caused the case to flip backwards.

You may want to number your magazines to remove one other variable.  I would take a look at that extractor as the prime suspect, though.

Link Posted: 6/24/2008 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I've got about 600+ rounds through mine with only two failures the first time out (due to limp wristing) but no failures ever since.  I've shot Independence, Hornady, Federal both FMJ, and HP with no problems.  Not sure if this is common but my only complaint is the erratic case ejections, I've been hit on the head a couple of times by spent casingsHavenI paid 589 the day it came into the store here.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I just got mine in.  Didn't even clean it yet, so no range report.

But I've got a question.

After you dry fire it, does the trigger reset?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong but they only way I got the trigger to reset was to rack the slide.

Operator error?
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:14:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Nope, it does not reset until you rack the slide or another round is ready to fire.  Kind of annoying for dry fire practice but oh well.  did you get the .40 or the 9mm?  let us know how the first time out went!
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Nope, it does not reset until you rack the slide or another round is ready to fire.  Kind of annoying for dry fire practice but oh well.  did you get the .40 or the 9mm?  let us know how the first time out went!

I got the 9mm.  The wait for the .40 is another 3 to 6 months in NY.

Thank you for clearing that up.  Yea, dry firing is different.  

Btw, welcome the the board.    Look around, this place is quite fun.
Link Posted: 6/25/2008 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks! I've been looking around on here for a while and got bit by the bug he
I really need to check on the wait time for a .40 here.  but I think I'm going for a p99 or an older ppk.... ugh the tough choices in life.

I've shot a few hand guns and it is especially noticeable on the PPS of the "break in" period.  It was just really touchy with limp wristing.  It has no problems now, but still watch out for it on your first time out.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 7:55:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 7:51:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone been able to compare the width between the 40 and the 9mm? Just want to know if they are the same. The website indicates they are but I want a arfcomer to confirm.
Link Posted: 7/2/2008 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#33]
BTT to keep the thread alive.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Question,

Can you have a round in the pipe and then decock (remove back strap and replace) and still pull the trigger to engage the firing pin?

I think I'll find out tonight with a snap cap.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#35]
height=8
Quoted:
Question,

Can you have a round in the pipe and then decock (remove back strap and replace) and still pull the trigger to engage the firing pin?

I think I'll find out tonight with a snap cap.

not sure, be interested to find out though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2008 2:57:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anybody know where you can get more front sights for the PPS?  Wasn't sure if Smith & Wesson was my only option or if Earl's is the best option.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 9:21:24 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The trigger position makes more sense.  I actually have considered the P22 for her, however she prefers a DAO trigger.  I've also heard some reports that the P22's functioning is hit and miss.

She has also tried a model 36.  The trigger pull on the little j-frames is fairly stiff and while she could use a non-mainstream two finger trigger pull or cock the hammer, she really does not like these methods.  Additionally, she does not like revolvers as well as autos.  I think it is a matter of the grip angle and how it recoils in her hand.  I still keep one around for her as a second option.

As such I've been trying to find an auto that she likes.  If Glock made a single stack 9mm, I think the search would be easy.  Therefor, I'm comparing all possible options against the Glock which she is most familiar with.  Can you comment on the trigger pull and how it compares to the Glock's trigger?  From what I have been reading about the PPS, I'm hopeful that it will meet my wife's satisfaction.

Thanks again.

i know its robably too late to help, but my wife was looking for a ccw and just chose the PPS, she loves it, fits her small hands great.  It's basically a mini-glock.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 8:17:22 AM EDT
[#38]
I would buy this in a heart beat but..........................I hate that "glock style trigger".

Let me give you a little story....................

Friend of mine lets me use his Glock 22 while he is in the sandbox, I only took it to the range every now and then because 40 cal is expensive compared to 9mm and never really shot it. Well I did shoot it one time then I threw it in my gym bag to carry as I always have a pistol on me 100% of the time. Well, I had to change clothes so I shifted my clothes around in my bag to find something I needed when I heard a heavy click! It was the Glock pointed right at my stomach in the bag. Either my finger or it snagged on some clothes or something but it went off. I am so happy to this day that I just put the mag in and didnt chamber it, if I had chambered it I wouldnt be typing today or I wouldve had an extra hole in me. I took the gun out of the bag and dropped the mag, opened the slide as I thought I did chamber it, wishfully thinking I might have and it was a misfire....... Anyways, after cleaning out the 'shart' out of my boxers........ I told myself I would never own a 'Glock style trigger'..........

That's why I am hesitant on this purchase.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 8:47:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Well I did shoot it one time then I threw it in my gym bag to carry as I always have a pistol on me 100% of the time...

This line seems to me to be where your story went way wrong.  I wouldn't imagine having a pistol loaded or not rolling around loose with my clothes and who knows what in a gym bag.  The fact you had a bad experience that almost resulted in your shooting yourself is directly related to what to me appears serious negligence, and isn't really the fault of one trigger system or another.

Negligence + firearms = bad news no matter how you slice it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2008 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I would buy this in a heart beat but..........................I hate that "glock style trigger".

Friend of mine lets me use his Glock 22 while he is in the sandbox, I only took it to the range every now and then because 40 cal is expensive compared to 9mm and never really shot it. Well I did shoot it one time then I threw it in my gym bag to carry as I always have a pistol on me 100% of the time. Well, I had to change clothes so I shifted my clothes around in my bag to find something I needed when I heard a heavy click! It was the Glock pointed right at my stomach in the bag. Either my finger or it snagged on some clothes or something but it went off. I am so happy to this day that I just put the mag in and didnt chamber it, if I had chambered it I wouldnt be typing today or I wouldve had an extra hole in me. I took the gun out of the bag and dropped the mag, opened the slide as I thought I did chamber it, wishfully thinking I might have and it was a misfire....... Anyways, after cleaning out the 'shart' out of my boxers........ I told myself I would never own a 'Glock style trigger'..........

Negligent gun handling is NOT the fault of the gun.  The same thing could have happened with ANY pistol.  If clothes or an item can wrap around the trigger enough to pull it, then OBVIOUSLY THE SAME THING CAN HAPPEN TO THE SAFETY ON A NON "GLOCK" GUN.

Try reading the safety manuals until they sink in, then carry.
Link Posted: 7/31/2008 1:40:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:50:24 AM EDT
[#42]
I see what you are saying guys....................I know it isnt the guns fault at all, I see your sense.

But I dont want to argue.................I was basically just saying that my safety meter on that trigger setup isnt my cup o' tea.... yet.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I see what you are saying guys....................I know it isnt the guns fault at all, I see your sense.

But I dont want to argue.................I was basically just saying that my safety meter on that trigger setup isnt my cup o' tea.... yet.

That's fine.  

Try using a holster even in a carry bag, much safer in general.
Link Posted: 8/15/2008 12:40:36 AM EDT
[#44]
height=8
Quoted:

Hello - long time reader, finally got a question.  

I"m loving my PPS but still looking for a good holster for IWB carry.  Has anybody tried the "The Insider" from these guys?

Thanks for your input this is a great forum.  

- SG
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Negligent gun handling is NOT the fault of the gun.  The same thing could have happened with ANY pistol.  If clothes or an item can wrap around the trigger enough to pull it, then OBVIOUSLY THE SAME THING CAN HAPPEN TO THE SAFETY ON A NON "GLOCK" GUN.

Try reading the safety manuals until they sink in, then carry.

Keep that dick in a condom, not unprotected  from shit that happens.            
Link Posted: 9/12/2008 1:38:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a two-tone PPS I've been carrying for about a month.

Has anyone else seen the grey-green frame/ black slide combo?
I can't find any literature mentioning it...
Was it limited production?
Link Posted: 9/14/2008 12:49:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Can someone please post a picture of the recoil system (guide rod/spring)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/2/2008 4:47:21 PM EDT
[#48]
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/spacewalker5/DSC00009.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w192/spacewalker5/DSC00010.jpg

Sorry about the clarity of pic and the cleanliness of the gun (Just got back from the range) Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 10/6/2008 7:54:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Well I've had mine for a few months now.
It's daily wear now in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB.
Approx 1000 rounds. Mix of FMJ and hydrashock.
Reliability and accuracy are excellent.
I do not detect much change in trigger pull, the the gun overall feels a little smoother.

My only complaint is the finish. It gets nicked up quite easily. I've been toting a 1st Gen G22 for 10+ years and the finish still looks better than the new PPS.

Anyway, that's my only knock on the weapon - It's still ideal for my carry needs.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top