Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2003 10:35:04 PM EDT
Just wanted to give a preliminary report on using Beretta 92F mags in a P99. I have one in a Walther P99 right now, and it appears to function fine so far. I haven't test fired it yet, but will report back when I do. Here's what I did:

1) Remove slide
2) Insert 92F mag until it *almost* touches the stop
3) Scribe mag body along edge of mag catch (looking down into mag well from top)
4) Dremel new notch

I have to clean the cut up when I get a small file, but so far so good. When the big pot-metal follower is in the 92F mag, it doesn't always hold the slide back with no round in it. With a follower from a 10 rd P99 mag, it seems to work fine :)

The mag sticks out of the grip a little bit, but I'm thinking it will be fine for at least range use. I will update when I test fire it. That probably won't be until next weekend, but perhaps I'll go out this weekend.

Edited to add:
PS - The mags I have are pre-ban Asian contract 92F mags (made in Taiwan). With the P99 follower in it, the mag holds 17 rds. The 92F spring is a little wide for the P99 follower, so I just squeezed the spring shut a little with some pliers.

Edited to add pic :)
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 3:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny you posted this... I was looking at mine the other day and I thought how much they looked alike and I slide the 92 mag into it and it fit... I’m interested to know if making the mag catch notch works...
Link Posted: 1/19/2003 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've read about the conversion other places, so I'm pretty sure it will work. Like I said though, the Taiwan follower fails to hold the slide back on the empty mag some of the time. I'm not familiar with 92 mags. I don't know if Italian or USA ones would hold it back. I have at least two P99 followers I can use though ;) I also saw some generic 9mm followers at CDNN or Tapco that I might try. I may just end up going to the range during the week instead of plinking next weekend. I will provide some feedback after I go, as to the reliability and/or any feed issues.
Link Posted: 1/20/2003 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#3]
For you 9mm P99r's out there....

I just test fit 13 rounds of 9mm in my stock 10 round P99 .40 mags...

Of course they wanted to fly out because the feedlips were a bit too wide but that could be managed if'n these are what you wanted to attempt to use...

Enjoy,

Ted...
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL. I was putting my 92fs mags in my wifes' p99 the other day. They look like they would work.
Link Posted: 1/28/2003 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I took it out shooting. When I had 17 rounds in it, it didn't feed the first round without a little coaxing. Then it ran through the rest of the rounds fine. After that I just put 15 rounds in it and it didn't have any feeding problems. When I let someone else shoot it, they pushed the mag in a little far, and it held the slide back, but I just pulled the mag back out until the catch stopped it, and the slide slammed home and fed fine.

I think I'll notch a few more of these for range mags and backup mags. I also have a hi-cap mag bought from RobertJohnson on ar15.com which ran great and will be my main carry mag. I think he may also sell them on gunbroker or auctionarms. For the price difference though, the 92f mags are great.

I now need to find someone with a 92 to make sure the mag doesn't catch on the first notch when installing in the gun the mag was intended for.

ComputerGuy has some of these Asian contract mags for $18 + shipping right now.
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=17&t=144315

These are fine mags for low priced hi-caps. The only concern would be slamming a mag in under high stress. If you were going to use these for carry mags you might want to practice slapping the mag in without jamming up the slide :)
Link Posted: 1/31/2003 6:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
If a thin spacer could be slip over the mag and snugged against the floor plate to take up the space it would take care of over insertion and the gap. Could be made of delrin, ABS etc. Anyone have access to tsuch material and a way to make them?

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 2/8/2003 10:52:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a preban 30 rnd Baretta 92 mag to use in my P99, Ill let you know how/if it works.
Link Posted: 2/9/2003 9:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I went shooting yesterday and put 15 rounds through my wifes' p99 with my Beretta magazine. I didn't modify the magazine, I just held it in with my left hand to see if it would work. I had no problemss with it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 4:28:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Since the full-size Beretta mags hang out and don't fit flush----Has anyone tried the 92 Compact mags????  They might fit flush and give you 15-16 rounds instead of 17(with a P99 follower).
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Where are you getting the P99 followers?
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Where are you getting the P99 followers?

I haven't found a supply of them yet. The one I used in my 92 mag was one of the followers from a 10 rd 99 mag.
Link Posted: 2/26/2003 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I did the same thing as you but with a 30rnd Baretta mag, my notch didnt turn out as pretty as yours though, but it works well. I have the same problem as you though with the slide not wanting to stay back with no round.

Link Posted: 3/5/2003 8:56:34 PM EDT
[#13]
universal 9mm mag follower and springs at prebanmag.com
Link Posted: 3/11/2003 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Take the magazine to a home hardware store and fit an o-ring on it??
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:35:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I have finally notched another mag. This one does not have the overinsertion problem. I believe it is because I pushed the mag all the way in to the ejector(?) and cut my notch right at the line I scribed there, and didn't make it as wide as the factory notch in P99 mags. This seems to hold the mag in place once it catches on the mag catch. :)

On this mag the factory Asian contract follower works fine, and the slide does not release on it's own like the first one. I think perhaps I had the notch a little too high on the first one, and too wide, which would allow it to be inserted too far, yet fall back enough to let the slide go on it's own.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#16]
posting to find later
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#17]
do the mags still work in the beretta with the new notch?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
do the mags still work in the beretta with the new notch?

Yes. I tried one in a PT99 Taurus and it functioned fine.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:50:58 AM EDT
[#19]
BTT

for future referance
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 4:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought 5 of the Asian and got 4 of them to work. Two hold the bolt back with the fallowers as is. Two do not, but all 4 feed no problem. this will hold me till 09-14-04 when I can hopefully get factory "normal" capicity mags.
I had a guy at the range ask me about this and I told him I WECSOG'ED the mags and that they still work in the Baretta, so no harm no foul.
Link Posted: 9/10/2003 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Does anybody know if there are any .40S&W hi-cap (well normal capacity!) mags out there that can be converted for use with the P99 .40?
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 6:43:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Can I get a BTT!
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Does anybody know if there are any .40S&W hi-cap (well normal capacity!) mags out there that can be converted for use with the P99 .40?

I have no idea myself. Hopefully someone will chime in if they are aware of any.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 8:18:19 AM EDT
[#24]
As I understand it S&W 40 series and Beretta 96 mags can be adapted.

SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 1/14/2004 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Please permintaly sticky/Tack this thread.
PLEASE!!!???
  :)
Link Posted: 1/22/2004 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#26]
MAHABALI,

WHERE DID YOU GET THAT FACTORY 30RND BERETTA MAG?
Link Posted: 1/22/2004 9:41:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
1) Remove slide
3) Scribe mag body along edge of mag catch (looking down into mag well from top)
4) Dremel new notch

anyone try sooting?  An old trick for making keys.

loading a mag, inserting it with the slide forward and then removing it, uloading it, then cutting the notch?

I don't own a P99. Just curious.  

Also, how is the metal mag verus the plastic mag catch?  
Link Posted: 1/23/2004 5:09:14 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1) Remove slide
4) Dremel new notch

anyone try sooting?  An old trick for making keys.

loading a mag, inserting it with the slide forward and then removing it, uloading it, then cutting the notch?

I don't own a P99. Just curious.  

Also, how is the metal mag verus the plastic mag catch?  

The "sooting" might work but the notch is on the partially rounded part of the mag, and the face of the mag catch is flat. Since the slot is angled I think scribing with a sharp dental pic is the best way, for me anyway.

Plastic mag catch?
Link Posted: 1/23/2004 6:58:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Plastic mag catch?

is the walther's mag catch metal?   Cool....  didn't know that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2004 12:51:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I did a 30 round usa mag it works perfect slide locks back and i didn't even change the follower.
Link Posted: 2/11/2004 1:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I did a 30 round usa mag it works perfect slide locks back and i didn't even change the follower.

Do those have a plastic follower or some type of cast metal follower? On the stock plastic follwers there is a "shelf" where the mag catch rides that is horizontally flat. On the Asian contract mags that I have, the cast metal followers have a "slope" on that surface. If not enough pressure by having the new mag catch cutout too high, that is where the problem seems to lie. If I had a mill or something, I might try grinding that small surface a little more flat, but as it stands, I'll let that go as a range mag. :)
Link Posted: 4/22/2004 7:24:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Please permintaly sticky/Tack this thread.
PLEASE!!!???
  :)

If we ask Miss Hannah nicely maybe she'll make one post in this forum to tack and just edit in thread links to this, or other informative posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top