Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2006 7:05:09 PM EDT
 Have a P99 in 45ACP that is accurate and functions fine.  My problem is that it pinches my trigger finger.  It will rub the lower edge of my finger raw after firing only a few mags.
 I don't have huge or fat hands ( size 10 gloves) so I was wondering if there is an optional trigger or a way to grind the trigger or frame to eliminate this problem.  I never liked the EAA pistols because their triggers felt the same to me.  They have too much "hook" in them.
 Anyone else experience this problem?
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 7:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Does your SW99 45ACP have the ski ramp in the triggeruard ?
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 10:40:55 AM EDT
[#2]
If the "ski ramp" is a raised section just in front of the trigger when at rest,  then yes it does.  Has this been eleminated on newer models?
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know about the S&W99.. but in 2004 Walther P99's switched from this frame

www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/IX/24.html

to this frame in 2004

www.praxagora.com/lunde/WaltherP99FAQ/VIII/p99-as.jpg

If the ski ramp is what is pinching your finger..... you can file that down .... and with a scotch pad make the finish  look almost identical to the original finsih.... at least that's what I was told by another forum member.....
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 2:02:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info "uncut".
My USP 45 has a similar "ski ramp" in it's trigger guard but the trigger  curves more forward than the P99 and the USP does not pinch.
I was hoping someone would say there was a replacement trigger that was longer with less hook and it could be had for free because of this problem.
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 10:20:01 PM EDT
[#5]
you know....
if Walther ever made another trigger Earl is the only one that might be able to help you out...or even know about it....
www.carlwalther.com/page2.htm

just don't tell him it is for a S&W99 .45acp....... this guy is great, just has some issues with S&W.....
so tell him you got a P99 with old style frame... and ask him if there was some other trigger available..... if not you still can go back to plan "A"
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#6]
How did his P99 turn into a SW99?  

I'm assuming that someone saw that he had a P99 in .45 and immediately thought "Walther doesn't make a .45 P99."  That's true.  However, the first two years of production did see a line of .45 in the P99s, long before S&W got a hold of it.

Blackboot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2006 8:32:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry,.....
but if you have or know of somebody that has a P99 in .45 ... please show me a pic.....

I am by no means a Walther know it all.... but from what I know Walther has not made a .45acp barrel ......but please do correct me if I am wrong... and if not in pcitures... please in print.... anything that will show me there is a P99 in .45ACP.......

thanks
Oliver
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 2:30:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How did his P99 turn into a SW99?  

I'm assuming that someone saw that he had a P99 in .45 and immediately thought "Walther doesn't make a .45 P99."  That's true.  However, the first two years of production did see a line of .45 in the P99s, long before S&W got a hold of it.

Blackboot.

Well, I'll go ahead and say it - you are incorrect.  There has NEVER been a Walther P99 chambered in .45ACP in production.  Maybe somewhere in the back rooms of development, they may have made a prototype, but there has never been a Walther P99 released in .45ACP.

The Smith & Wesson SW99 .45ACP shares very little of the original Walther P99 design in it's implementation.

James
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Are you sure yoru finger isn't rubbing against the magazine release instead?  Mine always caused the same rubbing problem you mentioned and it was really noticeable in SA mode when fired from the bench for groups.  I found that the magazine release was just slightly above the trigger guard edge so I removed it and smoothed it down a little.  Since then, I've had no problems at all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
AFSOC_COP, you might be correct.  I have not ground on anything so far.  The magazine release does not ride above the trigger guard but I did watch where the pinch occured when dry firing and it does happen as my finger passes the release.  I will have to look further.

I have incorrectly called the pistol a P99 as the slide is marked "Smith& Wesson SW99".  The frame is marked "Frame made in Germany" on the right side and "Walther patented" on the left side.  My question was concerning the frame so I posted in the Walther forum.  

With the question reguarding if Walther actually built a 45 acp or not, does anyone know if this is the same frame as the .40 S&W or the 9MM.  I thought those two frames were different.  If this frame is proprietary for 45 acp and only 45 acp I would say Walther makes half a pistol in 45 acp.
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 8:12:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I used a Dremel and a polishing drum to reshape my P99's trigger guard and blade. I only did a subtle mod but it improved the feel imensly. After you're done shaping a scotchbrite pad will nearly restore the original texture. Make sure to work slowly and test fit often till you've got it just right.

The grip wrap is a bicycle inner tube BTW.
Link Posted: 5/9/2006 8:21:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I was in the assumption that all the Frames from the SW99 line are the same.... but I could be wrong as I have not looked at anything but the .45ACP SW99

and GS1000SN.... you did the right thing posting here... the SW99 belongs to the Walther line since the design came from Walther......
and your topic clearly said "Smith/Walther"........
hope things work out...keep us posted
Oliver
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top