Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2006 10:16:07 AM EDT
Didn't see a review here, so I thought I'd post a review I initially put on the Hide.

I bought a TLR-1, and recieved it a few days ago (fpdsniper is selling them below for a steal, though I got it elsewhere for more money since I didn't see his ad before I bought it    :mad:    ).  I recieved it a few days ago.  I have only used the Glock light and M3, so I can't dierectly compare it to anything else (I have only played with other officers' X200's, and know little about them).

If you haven't played with them or seen one, they are aluminum construction, and have an LED light (no bulb filament to break - which seems to be the achiles heel of most pistol lights).  THe thing is sturdy.  The day I got it, I turned it on, the threw it on the ground as hard as I could (not on concrete - figured my floor was enough).  Still worked - nothing broken.  It's a little heavier than the M3 or Glock light - but not by much.  On the gun, you really can't tell the difference.

The switch works pretty much the same as the M3.  Rotate one way and it comes on temporarily, the other way, and it clicks on until you switch it off.  The switch is big and easy to manipulate.  I like it much better than the tiny, easy to miss switch on the glock light.

Mounting is fast and east, but not as quick as either of the other two.  You snap it on from the side, then screw the little screw down until snug.  It's sturdier than either the glocklight or M3, but slower.  I'll take that trade.

The light is very bright.  It has a nice center hot spot, with a good halo around it.  It has no dark spots, and no need (or ability) to adjust it.  I checked it both indoors and outdoors - and it worked great.  Some things I didn't like about the X200 (in my limited amount of playing with a friends') were the light pattern (a tight diamond with little to no surrounding light) and it's blue hue which disappeared outside.  The TLR is a white light, and does very well outside (as well as my M3).  In fact, when my dogs went ape-shit this morning, I attached this light to my 32C, and went out to find my wife's flower garden being invaded by an armadillo.

Today, I ran it through a 500-round pistol course on a Glock 31 in .357 sig (a snappy little round with plenty of bark and bite).  No problems.  Hell, the lense didn't even get dirty.

Overall, I am very happy with this light.  I think it mixes the good of the X200 (bright LED, unbreakable bulb) with the good of the M3 (price, outdoor performance, a switch that I like and am used to).  I don't think you can go wrong.  I think I'd buy one for almost twice the price and I'd think it was worth every penny.  The fact that they are under $100 makes them a steal.

A few pretty pics of it on a G21 (my 31 is apart being cleaned).  I was going to take side by side pics w/ the M3, but since I forgot to bring it home from work, I won't.

Link Posted: 5/25/2006 12:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
very nice! I have one sitting at my house in south florida. I have been dying to get my hands on it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2006 7:33:05 PM EDT
[#2]
How does it compare with the size of the M3 or the M3X?
Link Posted: 5/26/2006 9:13:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How does it compare with the size of the M3 or the M3X?

Ah - forgot.  It's about the same size as the M3.  It fits in the same holster I use for the M3 (Bianchi Cobra) without adjustment.  I really intended to take a pic of the two side by side, but left one at work.  I'll try tonight on one of my breaks if I don't get too busy.

And here they are side by side (and one 'on the gun' pic).  They are very similar in size.  I threw in the 'light against the wall' pic for giggles and grins (M3 on right).  Taken in a lit room, so really kinda hard to tell how they do.

Link Posted: 5/26/2006 10:28:20 PM EDT
[#4]
bump for new pics added.
Link Posted: 5/29/2006 4:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Hum, very interesting!

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#6]
WOW!  You may have just sold me on the TLR.  Now if I could just see the TLR compared side-by-side with the M3X and its' greater light output over the M3.
Link Posted: 6/6/2006 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
WOW!  You may have just sold me on the TLR.  Now if I could just see the TLR compared side-by-side with the M3X and its' greater light output over the M3.

Can't help you there.  If it were me, I'd go with the TLR - bulb won't ever break, fits M3 holsters (M3X doesn't), longer run time, and less $$.  Also, inside a house, it has all the output you need and more.  Does pretty good outdoors in my limited experience.  Hell, if I had the money, I'd buy a second TLR.  I like it more the more I use it.

Of course, if you all want to send donations to me for doing such a fine review, I will get another.
Link Posted: 6/7/2006 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Just purchased the TLR-1.  Very happy with it.  The switch is easy to use.  The screw assembly is different to start with, but for a duty gun, I leave the light on 24/7 unless I carry.  Even then, the light is easy to add and remove.  Just ran 100 rounds of both duty and practice each.  No flaws with the light attached.  Fits into the 6280 holster for the M3 like a shoe.  Nice Light!  Would consider purchasing a second in the future.  I also contacted Streamlight, a pressure/DG switch is in the works, available late in the year.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/gunner83/Picture124.jpg

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c360/gunner83/Picture125.jpg

Out,

J. J.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 6:11:33 AM EDT
[#9]
But will a Glock with a tlr-1 fit a holster meant for a Glock with an M3?
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 6:18:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2006 4:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 2:07:47 AM EDT
[#12]
How large is the spill beam diameter at say 4 feet range?  Is it enough light to see things lit only by the spill for at least 20 feet?  This light looks like what I want in every aspect other than the way it mounts wich I can deal with and the switching (the X200 is much better with its push to front temp activation).
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 2:35:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Does the reflector have that "krinkled" surefire finish?
Link Posted: 6/24/2006 6:10:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2006 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
How large is the spill beam diameter at say 4 feet range?  Is it enough light to see things lit only by the spill for at least 20 feet?  

I have no idea - not sure I understand.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:45:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
But will a Glock with a tlr-1 fit a holster meant for a Glock with an M3?

Yes, it will.
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Does the reflector have that "krinkled" surefire finish?

no it's smooth. different wavelegth of light

no problems with light rings like those seen when using a d-cell maglite?
Link Posted: 6/26/2006 8:25:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
I received my TLR-1 from MIG Quality Arms from Texas I found it on GunBroker and got it for $95 shipped. Anyways about the light, I will just start by saying this is one of the brightest rail mounted lights I have ever used. I read a few reviews and most people were saying it was a pain to get on and off the gun but honestly I dont think its all that bad. If you are looking for a good light for a decent price don't be afraid to buy a TLR-1.
Link Posted: 7/4/2006 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/8/2006 5:48:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody have a link to the best price shipped ?
Link Posted: 7/11/2006 11:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]
will this fit on my 1911 tle/rl ? also what holster would I use to fit this with a glock or the 1911 4" ....
Link Posted: 7/12/2006 6:15:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Best price Ive seen is $90 shipped from Botac. As a matter of fact mine arrived today. I am very impressed with this light and will more than likely pick up a 2d one.
Link Posted: 7/13/2006 11:29:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
it'd be a cols day in hell before i ordered from botach

+1 on Botac, they suck

Would anyone care to elaborate to me on where/who to buy either the TLR1 or TLR2 from, that's affiliated with this site, and has competitive pricing to Botac?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:22:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
it'd be a cols day in hell before i ordered from botach

+1 on Botac, they suck

Would anyone care to elaborate to me on where/who to buy either the TLR1 or TLR2 from, that's affiliated with this site, and has competitive pricing to Botac?

Once all the disposable income is together I will be getting it from kblagg

Equipment Exchange »  Handgun Mags, Parts, & Accessories »  STREAMLIGHT TLR SERIES WEAPON LIGHTS
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I've been trying to decide which light to get for my Sig 220R-- X200 or TLR1.  While I like a lot of what people have posted here about the TLR1 (esp. the price), does anyone know if Streamlight makes a remote tailcap switch like surefire does?  I really want this option and this will be the deciding factor for me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2006 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/5/2006 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Decided to order another to mount on an AR SBR I am building.  I would like to see if they offer a tape switch also, but can live with it of they don't.
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Just read your review on the TLR-1
Great job on the review - great photos
Link Posted: 9/11/2006 5:32:06 AM EDT
[#34]
I have carried a TRL-1 on duty for awhile now.  The light itself functioned extremely well.  The light is clean and crisp, with a broader halo around the center point of the beam.  The light itself is durable.  My only concern was the holsters for this light. (Actually, my transitional training was lacking). When I started to carry the TRL-1 I had to get a new Safariland holster.  During a recent footchase my Glock actually fell out of my holster because I had not properly secured the weapon.  As a result of this impact, I shattered the glass on the lens, and damaged the housing around the lens. (I still caught the suspect after picking my freaking gun up off the ground!). Despite the fact that due to my own carelessness I dropped and damaged the light, it still functioned.  The light was somewhat distorted due to the broken glass, but it still worked.  
I then called Streamlight, and they told me that it was under warranty, and to send it back to them.  They said that they will repair the light at no cost to me.  
Anyway, the light is very durable, and their customer service was great.  Buy with confidence.  

ETA: Train with your new holster better than I did!
Link Posted: 9/13/2006 9:47:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Just ordered one from Botac Tactical.  They have a special going on right now for the TLR-1 for $99.00 plus 20 free CR123 batteries.

Ordered mine and it came in two days UPS.  Batteries were Energizer brand!!  No problems whatsoever.  This is not the first time I have ordered from Botac. They've treated me fine all the time.

The light fits great on my dept. issue Sig 226R.  I replaced my current weaponlight, Insight M3.

Overall, I like the build of the TLR over the M3.  I like the aluminum housing and the bright LED light.  
Link Posted: 9/23/2006 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I just ordered aTLR1 from botach as well. I have never ordered from them before so lets see how they do.
Link Posted: 9/27/2006 2:54:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Just received my light and i really like it so far, can't wait til it gets dark outside. I ordered from botach before seeing this post but have had no problems with them so far, everything arrived when it was supposed to.

ETA.  Tried the TRL out in my back yard and all I can say is I am very impressed. This is my first weapon mounted light as I always thought the prices were just way too high. Well I figured I would try one and that would be the end of the story but, now it looks like I might buy another in the future as funnds allow.
Link Posted: 9/29/2006 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#38]
will it mount a hk usp compact as is?

***edit***  
ignore my question...i contacted streamlight and this light will not fit the compacts...barrel is not long enough
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#39]
It won't fit the fullsize usp either without an adapter.  Well it could fit but there would be heavy dremeling involved.
Link Posted: 9/30/2006 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a TLR 2 which I am very happy with.  However, after firing about 100 rounds through my Glock 19 with it on the anodizing is gone from the top of the bezel.  I am a little concerned as usually the anodizing is harder than the aluminum underneath and I wonder what will happen long term.  Anyone else have this happen to theirs?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top