Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/12/2009 8:16:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: max229]
I’ve had a handful of e-mails asking how to tell if a used Sig is still in good shape or not. After writing the same e-mail over and over for the last five years, I figured it was time to post my thoughts on what to look at when you’re going to purchase a used Sig Sauer pistol.
The first thing to look at is the frame rails. The rails will tell you everything that you need to know about how well the gun has been taken care of. The following is how the colors of the under side of the frame rails will change as your gun wears.

1. Dull Black – No wear, perfect finish.

2. Shiny Black – Slight wearing in of the pigment in the anodizing, this is normal after around 200 rounds.

3. Dark Gold/Orange – The pigment in the anodizing is starting to wear,
    this is perfectly normal and not a problem, the metal is still
    protected and your frame is still perfectly viable. Most guns reach
    this phase between 2,000 and 4,000 rounds.

4. Bright Gold – The pigment in the anodizing is wearing in. Your frame is
    still protected and your gun is still perfectly viable. Most guns reach
    this phase and remain static from here on out as long as proper
    lubrication is used.

5. Light Gold – The pigment in your anodizing is wearing through, your frame is still protected, but you should keep an eye on it.

6. Shiny Silver – This is where you need to start to worry. The pigment in
    the anodizing is worn through, your frame is still protected, but you
    need to monitor your frame rails very closely and make sure they remain
    greased thoroughly for the rest of your gun’s life.

7. Dull Silver – You’re screwed. Your anodizing has worn completely
    through in the areas you see dull anodizing. From here on your frame is
    unprotected and it’s time to buy a new gun. It may still shoot and
    function perfectly, but your frame rails will continue to wear at a
    much accelerated rate.

The next thing to look at is the disconnector tab on your trigger bar. That’s the part of the trigger bar that sits up highest in the frame. A factory new trigger bar will have a nice radius across the top, a heavily used one will have a flat worn into it. The best way to check and make sure it’s still functioning correctly is to pull the slide back by one-quarter of an inch and pull the trigger, if the hammer doesn’t try to fall you’re OK.
The next place to look at is the barrel. You will notice the “smileys” on the barrel on the muzzle end. If you run your finger down the barrel and feel a dip, you may want to have the gun looked at by a professional, the slide should not be abrading the barrel enough to remove any metal at all. The presence of a dip in the metal would indicate that your slide has a burr in it.
If you look at the front of the chamber section at the top of the barrel you will see a ledge that steps down just before the tube part of the barrel starts. The ledge there should be at a clear 90 degree angle, any rolling of that sharp corner would indicate a soft barrel or one which hasn’t been lubricated properly.
The slide should also be inspected. The slide lock lever detent on the slide should be looked at for burrs or any rounding on the rear or the notch. A burr sticking out can abrade your thumbs if you shoot a thumbs forward grip. A burr on the slide could indicate a slightly soft slide or that the previous shooter kept their thumb on the slide lock lever. A rounded off notch at the back would indicate an improper heat treat of the slide.

ETA: LINK

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Good information here.
Link Posted: 12/12/2009 2:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Viper1357] [#2]
Thanks for the information.

I have done or looked at many of these suggestions on used sigs, but the thing I find most often is while all the points you mentioned are covered, I find many used sigs are really loose fitting between the slide and frame rails. Side to side mostly, not up and down so much. Literally to the point of 'rattling' even with light shaking of the gun in hand. Yet the barrel lock up is tight, and all other indicators show it is gtg..  

The few I've bought even in this loose condition function reliably, show no more appreciable wear, and hold good groups.. Just wonder why they are so much looser than other used semi auto pistols.. It's apparently more annoying than problematic, but it does 'rattle' me a bit..

Link Posted: 12/12/2009 5:14:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmm... I've got a burr on my slide that needed to be stoned off.  Should I be concerned or end it back to Sig?  It's a P228R.  I'm a lefty, so I wasn't riding the slide stop.  This happened within 900 rounds.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:51:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ctdemolay0405] [#6]
so, by this thread, my pistol might be in serious trouble?

its silver up top of the frame rails by the hammer, not quite shiny, not quite dull.

also a lot of wear on the rails by the muzzle of the weapon

its been this way ever since the first few hundred rounds, and i liberally lube and clean it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
eta, there is no rattle and they still feel snug as a bug, and it fires flawlessly... only my crappy shooting screws it up
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 9:26:33 PM EDT
[#9]
What would be the point of coating it only to have it wear off again?  Is clean and lube not good enough?
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:02:21 PM EDT
[#10]
i was researching on the sig forums after i posted the pic, and they all seem to think that this isnt much of a big deal, yes its worn, but if you keep it lubed and clean, and it doesnt crack or rust or anything else, it shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 10:26:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#11]
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ctdemolay0405:
so, by this thread, my pistol might be in serious trouble?

http://www.larawdesigns.com/KenGun.jpg

its silver up top of the frame rails by the hammer, not quite shiny, not quite dull.

also a lot of wear on the rails by the muzzle of the weapon

its been this way ever since the first few hundred rounds, and i liberally lube and clean it.

My picture doesn't show it, but the wear on my Sig is almost identical to yours.

I would bet that this is the case with most, I wouldn't sweat it at all.

GM

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#13]
wow, that is really close
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#14]
What does the underside portion of the frame rail look like? It is my understanding that this is where the article is pointing out to check.
Link Posted: 1/8/2010 1:37:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Bump
Link Posted: 1/9/2010 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:

My picture doesn't show it, but the wear on my Sig is almost identical to yours.

http://fuserservices.com/Sigwear.JPG

GM

My 229 looks the same as those two. It's about a year old. Somewhere between 500-1000 rounds through it I would guess?

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 3:10:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smoketheresfire] [#17]
Originally Posted By Viper1357:
Thanks for the information.

I have done or looked at many of these suggestions on used sigs, but the thing I find most often is while all the points you mentioned are covered, I find many used sigs are really loose fitting between the slide and frame rails. Side to side mostly, not up and down so much. Literally to the point of 'rattling' even with light shaking of the gun in hand. Yet the barrel lock up is tight, and all other indicators show it is gtg..  

The few I've bought even in this loose condition function reliably, show no more appreciable wear, and hold good groups.. Just wonder why they are so much looser than other used semi auto pistols.. It's apparently more annoying than problematic, but it does 'rattle' me a bit..

Yes, I believe a good shake is in order for any potential used pistol buy.  Bought one and didn't realize until I got it home that it was a rattler.  Oh, well.  Shoots good.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 4:05:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:59:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bronc:
What does the underside portion of the frame rail look like? It is my understanding that this is where the article is pointing out to check.

An excellent, yet overlooked point.  Once again proving the importance of pics and arrows in informative threads.
I imagine it's the part of the rails you'd look at when holding the frame with the magwell facing you.
My rails are shiny black on the undersides, but have some shiny silver on the tops and sides.  About three months ago I replaced all of the springs and the breachblock pins, so I guess that means the gun will outlast me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bronc:

Bronc is right, that is the key question. Wear on the top and sides is not really a big deal. It is the area underneath the rails that you need to watch. A good grease will really help to prevent wear there.

Link Posted: 2/21/2010 8:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Bump
Link Posted: 3/28/2010 11:05:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 10:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the tack.

I've got a P239 in 9mm that rattles like an empty spray paint can when you shake her, but she's a shooter.

Max, as usual, thanks for the good info.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/30/2010 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By cornface:

Originally Posted By goodmedicine:

http://fuserservices.com/Sigwear.JPG

GM

My 229 looks the same as those two. It's about a year old. Somewhere between 500-1000 rounds through it I would guess?

I have to say the same on both my 229 and a friends three (yes he has 3) 229's as well.  All four of our 229s look like that and all of them are under 1k rounds.  I'm not sure how accurate the wear coloring is on this post.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 9:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#26]
Enough-you can conduct yourself with some decorum here, or your access to this tech forum will be removed-Dog1
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:51:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dog1] [#27]
Link Posted: 11/23/2010 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Because some people cannot leave the General Discussion mentality in GD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top