Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2001 5:34:29 PM EDT

Who owns one and what do you think of it? (Caution: dumb question follows...) Has any one had any problems with it? What is a good price for one new in box or good condition at an FFL or gun show? I like the .40 S&W because ammo is cheaper and I think the self-defense rounds are better, is there any one who likes the .357sig better? Thanx, just making up conversation.

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I carry one in 9mm at work and I've not had any problems with it. I have found it to be very accurate and very reliable with most ammo I've put through it. A good NIB in .40 should run you about $750-800. If you look around, you may be able to get a pretty good deal on a police trade in for several hundred less than new. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/11/2001 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a pre ban P226 in 9mm. LOVED IT. Kick myself every day for getting rid of it. Have a .40 P226 now and love it as well. Had one before and got rid of it like an idiot for something else and promptly got another one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:04:07 AM EDT
[#3]
You can't beat a 226 in my opinion.  I have had a 9mm for several years and just got a .357 and a .40 bbl.  New pricing is in the $700 range.  For used guns, 9 mm's can be found from $400 for well worn police trade-ins on up.  If you look around you will probably find a good deal on a used one in .40 or .357.  A buddy of mine paid $600 for one in 98% with both barrels.  I paid about the same including a holster and some extra 10 rd mags.  The deals are out there, especially now as used guns don't sell during the month before Christmas.

As far as .357 vs. .40, I like them both.  .40 ammo is cheaper and more widely available.  There are more actual street results with .40 if you believe in that school of thought.  The .357 has a certain coolness factor to it with the Secret Service carrying it and all, plus it makes a really loud bang .

The easiest solution is to get the barrel for the other caliber - the mags are the same, and for $125 or so it's like getting a second gun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had my 226 9mm for 7 years and this remains to be my most reliable gun of all.  Never had a problem with this gun.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 8:47:08 AM EDT
[#5]
The P-226 is the model that put Sig on the map, IMO. The only down side that I can see is the full-size would restrict the means of carrying concealed for some folks. Other than that, buy it & shoot it!!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 11:01:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one in 9mm and one in .40S&W.  The .40 is relatively new and has the forged slide, while the 9mm is circa 1986 with the stamped steel slide.

Both have been completely reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 12/24/2001 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
You just can't go wrong with a Sig!  If you're leaning toward a .40, you might give the SP2340 a look-see.  They cost around $499 in this area and you can add a second barrel (.357) for about $160.  You get two grips, also.

Accuracy and dependability are givens!  
Link Posted: 12/28/2001 3:36:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had virtually no problems with mine, the only thing I noticed was a failure to lock the slide open on the last round when using ONE of my mags. The follower seems to be just a tad lower on that mag, and the slide locks open if I insert the empty mag and rack the slide. I wonder if they sell replacement followers/ springs. Other than that, it has been totally reliable and ACCURATE!

FITTER out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top