Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2010 10:10:50 PM EDT
Anyone know of any police departments issuing the Glock 20 or any other 10mm?
Link Posted: 8/1/2010 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure what they use now but in the mid-late 90's I did a course with three guys from the Loveland CO PD.  THey all carried Colt 10mm's and said they were issued, but the dept was considering changing guns.  Think that was in 97.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't be surprised if cost of ammo was a significant factor for many PDs.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 12:44:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I think the AK troopers carry the G20.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:48:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't be surprised if cost of ammo was a significant factor for many PDs.

It can be a deterrent, especially for larger agencies.  On the other hand when the forty short and weak came out it was not a lot cheaper than 45.  After a time economies of scale kicked in and brought the price down.

In LPD's case the issue was the colts were wearing, they couldn't be replaced and the Glock was too big for several of their officers.  Which is the other issue with the 10mm, particularly in the Glock platform.  Smaller statured officers are going to have issues either due to hand size or ability to deal with the recoil.  Cannning said officers without a metric shit ton of retraining in the latter case and at all in the former will result in a law suit the agency will use.  Ask the FBI.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I seem to recall that the FBI toyed with the Colt Delta Elites when they first came out, but then dropped the idea due to frame stress issues or something like that....

I am not sure if they were looking at them for general issue or if it was just for their HRT's....
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#6]
According to Wiki the Albuquerque, NM and the Anniston, AL Police Departs still issue 10mm. I've seen reference to the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius apparently issue them as well.

You get the occasional individual officer who carries one in the departments that allow the 10, but by and large the 10mm is dead in law enforcement. There was the brief flash in the pan when the FBI went to the S&W 10XX pistols, but then the FBI and everyone else pretty much figured out it's not the ideal LE cartridge.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 5:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]
seem to recall one of the southern highway patrols/state police(may have been kentucky?) issued every officer a G20 primary and G29 backup/off duty. This was written up in the Glock magazine a few years ago do not know if it is still correct
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 8:09:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I though they carried the 21?
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#9]
all the state boys i see now days are rockin Glock 35s.

they are also packing a kel tec for a back up piece.

in the trunk for their cars are demilled M16A1s and Remington 870s.

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Baytown Texas PD - Glock 20
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I know two Deputies  for our local SO that carry them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
According to Wiki the Albuquerque, NM and the Anniston, AL Police Departs still issue 10mm. I've seen reference to the Danish Slædepatruljen Sirius apparently issue them as well.

You get the occasional individual officer who carries one in the departments that allow the 10, but by and large the 10mm is dead in law enforcement. There was the brief flash in the pan when the FBI went to the S&W 10XX pistols, but then the FBI and everyone else pretty much figured out it's not the ideal LE cartridge.

i would think 10mm would be much more of a ideal cartridge for LEO than most of the others, big capacity, big knock down power, and awesome penatration to blow thru cars/ baracades, if it wasn't so big i'd CCW one of my 10mm's all the time
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I though they carried the 21?

Glock 22

Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#15]
When Ky Troopers carried the 10 MM they used the S&W 1006 or other variant with decocker instead of decocking safety.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#16]
At one time (early 90's?) Waldo, Fl PD carried them
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quite a list we have going here.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#18]
FBI was the original to issue the 10mm in a S&W and they even made H&K produce a 10mm version of the MP5(semi auto) that was an abortion.

Va. state police carried the S&W 1076 for a few years before switching to sigs.  

I saw a Officer from a very small department who was still carrying a S&W 10mm a few months ago,just because they got them free from the state police when they retired them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2010 6:10:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FBI was the original to issue the 10mm in a S&W and they even made H&K produce a 10mm version of the MP5(semi auto) that was an abortion.

Va. state police carried the S&W 1076 for a few years before switching to sigs.  

I saw a Officer from a very small department who was still carrying a S&W 10mm a few months ago,just because they got them free from the state police when they retired them.

I shot one of FBI MP-5's in 10mm. It had the happy switch and it was sweet.

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 2:03:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would think 10mm would be much more of a ideal cartridge for LEO than most of the others, big capacity, big knock down power, and awesome penatration to blow thru cars/ baracades, if it wasn't so big i'd CCW one of my 10mm's all the time

How many units of knockdown power does it have? How much more quantifiable penetration does it offer?
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 5:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How many units of knockdown power does it have?

The S&W 10mm? Nine rounds, but there were also 11 and 15 rounders that were made for the FBI. Rare, though...
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
with all the tickets those guys write, i'd be surprised of they weren't using gilded glock 20s.

Quoted:

At one time (early 90's?) Waldo, Fl PD carried them

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:15:35 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How many units of knockdown power does it have? How much more quantifiable penetration does it offer?

16 rounds in my G20, i'd say that's a substantial amount, some of my loads are pushing over 850ft lbs of energy, you do the math on the penatration of that
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 8:55:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

16 rounds in my G20, i'd say that's a substantial amount, some of my loads are pushing over 850ft lbs of energy, you do the math on the penatration of that

You misunderstood my first question. You said the 10mm has "big knockdown power." I'm asking what knockdown power is, how you quantify it, and what the end result is. Not capacity.

Regarding factoring the penetration, it's impossible to factor it with energy alone - things like target medium, projectile weight, and projectile sectional density, construction, etc.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 11:27:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You misunderstood my first question. You said the 10mm has "big knockdown power." I'm asking what knockdown power is, how you quantify it, and what the end result is. Not capacity.

Regarding factoring the penetration, it's impossible to factor it with energy alone - things like target medium, projectile weight, and projectile sectional density, construction, etc.

Fight the good fight, my friend.
Link Posted: 8/3/2010 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fight the good fight, my friend.

I'll admit I almost pissed myself when I read his question. Units of knockdown power was golden!

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Baytown Texas PD - Glock 20

They are/ or have switched to the Glock 21 so ive heard
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top