Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/17/2010 12:08:50 AM EDT
Fellow Glockers,

I will be visiting the Glock factory in Deutsch-Wagram tomorrow morning.  I was worried that I wouldn't be able to get a tour laid on before I departed for my next duty assignment, but it's looking good!

I will take as many pix as possible, and post them here.  However, like when I visited the HK factory in Oberndorf am Neckar, I expect to be prohibited from taking photographs inside the facility.

If you have any burning questions or issues that you think need to be asked while I am on the tour, PLEASE post it here, so that I can go with a list.  I love my Glocks, but I don't keep up to speed on all of the latest developments and issues like I should.  Keep in mind that I will not barrage the people I talk to with complaints.  I am interested in learning from them, no haranguing them.

Stay tuned!

REPORT POSTED

PIX DELETED
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:09:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Based on some of the commentary that this thread has so far received, I have actually been reluctant to post any report.  Glock was gracious enough to permit us into their headquarters and were (I think) incredibly forthcoming about our (well, my) questions.  Andreas, the tour guide (one of the international sales directors) said that the usual questions are things like "how far do they shoot" and other such non-shooter issues.

I think that the greatest lesson learned from this trip is that most interwebz-commandoz would be far better served calling Glock Customer Service for answers to questions than they are arguing with each other in the ARFCOM Glock Forum, or on Glock Talk.  Further, the interwebz has not, in any way/shape/form, promoted patience in the market.  I truly feel a bit more sympathy for Glock, Magpul, BCM, Spike's Tactical, Bushmaster, and other firms who have taken the immature wrath of the interwebz-commandoz.

That said, here are some of my notes, which will hopefully address the most urgent concerns of the more serious-minded Glock fans.

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Generation 3 vs Generation 4
    ·        
  • The terms (Gen1 through Gen3) were created by the market and Glock adopted it.

• There is absolutely no intention of terminating Gen3 production.

• Gen4 was developed because of perceived market demand; Glock does not see a real LE/Mil need for the Gen4.
  • Three back strap sizes:  none (small), medium, large.

• Redesigned to maintain the same grip angle as previous generations, to ensure that muscle memory remains the same to ensure the same pointing characteristics.

• 2mm shorter length of pull from  the web of the hand.

• Texture is market driven … RTF2 was too rough for many shooters, and hard on LE uniforms.

• Dual springs:  intended to cover all ammo types.  This worked for 40, but not for 9mm (which will have two differently rated spring sets, to cover a wider variety of ammo).

• Gen4 availability:  17, 19, 22, 23, 31 are available now.  21, 26, 27, 34, and 35 are on the way.

Magazines

• Glock is always tweaking their mags due to changes in the ammunition manufacturing.  They recognize the importance of the magazine to function and take the design VERY seriously (hence the continual upgrading of followers).

• QC with the stamping of the mag body is one of the most complicated processes they have.

• Mag bodies go through multiple stamping operations (in one machine) and come from a tape of sheet metal.  They wind up looking almost like a complete mag from a SIG, to include an interlocking rear seam with tack stamps holding the teeth together (no welding at all).

• The steel is a carbon alloy, not stainless (Edelstahl).  However, it receives an anti-corrosion surface treatment.

• The "1" and "2" on the 40-cal mag bodies indicate certain changes to the geometry of the mag body's taper and feed lips.

• 40-cal stick mags should be available in CONUS as we speak.

• No plans to develop 45-cal stick mags.

• I picked up a finished G26 mag body fresh from the polymer overmolding and finishing machine.  It was very warm to the touch, and ready to be assembled.

Green Polymer:
  • I picked up a fresh OD Gen3 G17 frame from the molding machine.  It was wet, and quite cool to the touch.  There is no serial number on the plate, but there is a laser code inside the beavertail area that uniquely ID's the frame for internal control and inventory.

• The OD polymer is not as quite strong/durable/UV-resistant as black, they recommend black to customers … the same applies to other manufacturers who use other colors of polymer (like FDE).

• Not many are sold, and this color was introduced due to a U.S. Army requirement.

• If you want a Gen4 or RTF2 Glock in OD, you need to order 20k units (ha, ha).

Carbine
  • They have been working on one (5.56mm) on and off for years.

• Corporate interest is higher now because of the possibility of a new U.S. Army tender for a carbine.

• They have many individual ideas worked out, but haven't integrated them into one package that meets their standards for reliability, ease of maintenance/use, and ease/efficiency of manufacture.

22LR Conversion & Full-Sized "Slimline"

• No 22 conversion will be produced.  If Glock ever produces a 22, it will be a complete gun.

• 22LR guns are very difficult to get to run reliably (due to magazine and ammo considerations).  They won't make one until it meets their standards.

• There was a very positive reaction to the possibility of the market seeing a full-sized, single-stack "Slimline" Glock in 45 Auto.

Indoor Range

• Two lane (each its own complete, sealed tunnel), underground, industrial range.

• Bullet collection is a steel funnel leading to a snail trap.

• Firing fixtures are available for accuracy testing.

• Each pistol fires 7 rounds (mags are automatically machine loaded for the testers):  2 proof rounds and five standard pressure rounds for accuracy.

• 6.5mm rear sights are standard, but can be swapped for 6.3mm or 6.7mm if tolerances have stacked and result in high or low groups.

• For demonstration purposes, almost every pistol configuration was on-hand, and all chamberings of ammunition were available.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:26:52 AM EDT
[#3]

Looking forward to you report.  

Most manufacturing facilities won't let you photograph the working line.  Good luck with the camera.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Realm of reality:

Please ask about the 22 round .40 mag they just put out, and if that means a .45 coming soon.  

What is the latest word on the recoil assembly in the 9mm gen 4's?  Have they settled on going back to the old style spring and guide rod in the new wider housing, or are they still working on what the "final version" will be?

Less likely:

Will we be getting a 9mm sf?

Will we be getting any guns smaller than the 26? Perhaps a single stack small 9mm?

How's the carbine coming along?  

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:08:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Please ask:

1)What is the difference between the "1" and "2" on the .40 mags.

and

2)What is the deal with the new #9 .40 follower.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:11:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Will we be getting a 9mm sf?

GEN4.

Will we be getting any guns smaller than the 26? Perhaps a single stack small 9mm?

Not importable.

How's the carbine coming along?  

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Rumor has it that glock will not be doing a recall on Gen 4 double recoil springs, but will be offering a voluntary replacement for them with Gen 3 springs. It's also rumored

that all future Gen 4's will come with Gen 3 recoil springs.

Can you get the details on this, and why Glock has decided to replace them?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:14:47 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Fellow Glockers,

I will be visiting the Glock factory in Deutsch-Wagram tomorrow morning.

Holy shit, you're going to the Mother ship!
I had to re read your post. I thought you were going to Glock USA.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#9]
[Reserved for epic thread.]
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Tag for report.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 6:05:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm very excited for the AAR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Are they going to be phasing out the Gen 3 or RTF 2 guns?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Ask about the carbine please!!!

And if they say nothing is planned then call them an idiot.  THanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I heard the carbine will be out in two weeks.
Sorry but somebody had to do it.

You can still ask about it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#15]
TAG for a total awesome AAR of Glock Factory!  Get me a Glock Patch I need another one since I gave mine away to one of hte guys at work.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Are they going to be phasing out the Gen 3 or RTF 2 guns?

Good question. I've herd "no" from multiple sources however.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#17]
any plan for a single stack mid to full size 45ACP?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
TAG

ask the questions above.

are they going to make a .22 upper.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm very excited for the AAR.

+1
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:39:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Most importantly, ask who will replace Jessie Abbate. And post pics.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Here's my proposed list of questions ... you have until approx 0100 EDT to get me any other edits to these, or other, better questions.  I am going to try and limit the questions of the type that you guys are asking to no more than five or six ... so all of these may not be addressed.  My personal priority is on their contracts, worldwide market penetration, manufacturing techniques, etc.

1) Are the Gen3/G3-RTF frames in danger of being discontinued?
2) Will over-capacity mags ever be available for the G20 and G21?
3) SF G26?
4) Single-Stack 45 larger than the G36?
5) Any plans for other Gen4 guns (26/27)? Estimated date(s)?
6) Will the RTF2 grip texture ever make it's appearance in the Gen4 guns?
7) Will either RTF2 OR Gen4 guns ever be available in OD (or whatever they call that color)?
8) When will Gen4 Glock 22 and 17 magazines be available on their own?
9) Will there ever be a shoulder-fired Glock?
10) Will there ever be factory 22LR conversions?
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:04:33 PM EDT
[#22]
A lot of those questions are redundant/obvious. Please ask my .40 mag question as that is a question that no one knows or can predict.

Link Posted: 6/17/2010 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here's my proposed list of questions ... you have until approx 0100 EDT to get me any other edits to these, or other, better questions.  I am going to try and limit the questions of the type that you guys are asking to no more than five or six ... so all of these may not be addressed.  My personal priority is on their contracts, worldwide market penetration, manufacturing techniques, etc.

3) SF G26?
7) Will either RTF2 OR Gen4 guns ever be available in OD (or whatever they call that color)?

sounds good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#24]
i read this and it sounds like winning a ticket to the Wonka factory take a pic of the Oompa Loompas!
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 8:18:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rumor has it that glock will not be doing a recall on Gen 4 double recoil springs, but will be offering a voluntary replacement for them with Gen 3 springs. It's also rumored

Thanks.

I called Glock in Smyrna about this and was told that this rumor is NOT true. They reiterated that the Gen4 17 is designed for full power 9mm, not the underpowered 9mm target loads you find at Walmart, and as long as you stick to full power or +p 9mm, you should not have any problems. My experience with my Gen4 17 confirms this. I just don't understand why some Gen4 17's seem to work fine with everything, and others, like mine, won't run reliably with cheap target wally world ammo.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#26]
When are they going to shit can 45GAP?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks.

If the rumor you speak of implies Glock will be using a Gen 3 spring and gude rod, I couldn't imagine Glock doing that as it would require changing the slide and also the half moon cut on the barrel in front of the locking lug. This would seem silly when they could just change the weight of the springs in the existing Gen 4 setup. Even though the rumor came from someone well respected and he claimed to have heard it from someone "high up the food chain" at Glock, I still have my doubts. According to the two people I recently spoke with at Glock, they are shipping new Gen 4 G17 pistols with an upgraded / lower weight spring which can be identified by the number 02 stamped on the metal base. They also have replacements which they will ship for free if you call and give the s/n of your pistol.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Pictures are up (see 3rd post on Page 1).

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Very cool, what a great experience!
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pictures are up (see 3rd post on Page 1).

The pic of the Gen4 G19, did you see if it was the dual-recoil spring set up?
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#31]
This is the greatest post in history! OP needs to re post this in the Glock information thread for posterity.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 4:07:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks.  Great pictures.  

The Gen 4 G19 looks pretty awesome.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:49:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Awesome.  
Simply.
Awesome.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#35]
yes, very awesome.

the girl by the pistol rack is not wearing a bra. i like how Austrian chicks roll.

edited to add: after i put my glasses on, that might not be a chick...
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 11:43:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
yes, very awesome.

the girl by the pistol rack is not wearing a bra. i like how Austrian chicks roll.

That was a dude ... an old dude ... and not particularly handsome.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 4:14:28 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks.

I called Glock in Smyrna about this and was told that this rumor is NOT true. They reiterated that the Gen4 17 is designed for full power 9mm, not the underpowered 9mm target loads you find at Walmart, and as long as you stick to full power or +p 9mm, you should not have any problems. My experience with my Gen4 17 confirms this. I just don't understand why some Gen4 17's seem to work fine with everything, and others, like mine, won't run reliably with cheap target wally world ammo.
What was their reasoning behind this?  To make them more reliable with full power ammo?

Personally I don't want something that isn't reliable with both plinking/practice ammo and self defense ammo.

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 4:53:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for the pictures!

Strangely, the facilities looked just like I imagined they would!
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:27:18 AM EDT
[#39]
Great pics! This thread completely wins!

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:34:21 AM EDT
[#40]
When is the release date on gen4 g19?
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#41]
That Gen4 19 looks just right (maybe minus finger groves). Glad I decided to hold off on the Gen3, will most likely be worth the wait.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 8:59:45 AM EDT
[#42]
That was really cool. I now need a wet-nap or baby wipe for easy clean-up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Thread needs more answers!
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

3) SF G26?

Where are the answers to these questions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 3:35:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Hey Shaken,

You made it there! I never got around to it. Your pics almost make me miss Austria! I chuckled when I saw the coffee table. (I am totally spoiled on coffee now though_

Cool pics. Thanks for posting.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Why is Gen2 frame referred to as FBi Pistol? Gen2 came out long before FBI adopted Glock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Why is Gen2 frame referred to as FBi Pistol? Gen2 came out long before FBI adopted Glock.

The GEN2 was made to FBI specs. First the 10mm 20 than the .40 22 and 23.

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The GEN2 was made to FBI specs. First the 10mm 20 than the .40 22 and 23.

Hard to see, since at that time the FBI was still switching over to the 1076. It would be another 8-10 years before they adopted the G22/23, and then on the Gen3 frame, not the Gen2 frame. Hence my question.

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
yes, very awesome.

That was a dude ... an old dude ... and not particularly handsome.  

yeah, not my greatest moment.

how about the questions?
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Hard to see, since at that time the FBI was still switching over to the 1076. It would be another 8-10 years before they adopted the G22/23, and then on the Gen3 frame, not the Gen2 frame. Hence my question.

I didn't say they adopted it, I said it was built to their specs of a 10mm, later .40 pistol. Glock made them to cater to the FBI.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top