Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/31/2010 1:40:12 PM EDT
So about a week and a half ago I picked up a gen4 G17 after having shot one for a short while and figured I'd give it a shot. Took it to the range the following Saturday and MAN was I dissapointed. I put about 150 -160 rounds through it before I gave up. I had MULTIPLE malfunctions. The were ALL extraction/ejection related. Several stovepipes and about two or three "doublefeeds" (not really doublefeeds as it wasnt two live rounds. It would be a spent casing in the chamber and a live round jammed up behind it.) I made sure that I had a good grip on the pistol and that I wasn't limpwristing. I was testing out side by side with my Sig 226 which ran flawless. The Sig has about 2500 down the pipe with one stovepipe from winchester whitebox.

When shooting the Gen4 on Saturday I was using American Eagle 124gr. FMJ.

To say the least, I was very dissapointed and my trust in the pistol was shattered. I called the shop that I bought it from and talked to the guy about it who happens to be a glock armorer. He was very surprised to hear my report and told me to bring it to him along with the ammo I was using.

Today I took the pistol to him and he looked it over and didn't see anything wrong with it. We put a 100 rounds through it. 50 of the stuff I was using and 50 of American Eagle 147gr. FMJ. It funtioned flawless. Needless to say, it kinda made me feel like a dumb ass when it didn't have a single problem with him there.

It's kinda like when you take your car to get the transmission worked on and when you leave, you can't for the life of you shift correctly, so you take it back. When the mechanic tries it out, it works perfectly.

He told me to give the pistol a chance and see how things go to which I agreed to do. See, it's good that it ran just fine today, but I know what happened before and I'm not sure that I can trust my life with that on it's track record. I didn't buy it to be a "finicky" range toy.

Now I'm not intersted in Glock is better than such or Glocks suck. I really don't care about that.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 2:23:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The new recoil double spring setup needs a couple of hundred rounds shot through it to break it. Don't know why but they stuck the same rod/spring combo in the 17 as they did in the .40S&W.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 2:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you were limp wristing... or riding the recoil too much
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah that's what it sounds like. Definitely wasn't doing that though. I was holding it today the same as I was on Sat.  Especially when testing and knowing that element should be either found out or eliminated.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 3:31:50 PM EDT
[#4]
On GT forum they are talking about the Gen4 G17 being recall due to the recoil spring and rod.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 4:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I've heard the new dual recoil spring needs some breaking in.

I've also heard that a new Gen4 needs a good cleaning before you take them out and shoot them.

I haven't heard anything about a recall. That would be interesting information if it becomes "official", not that Glock ever has an official recall. Upgrade...
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Have heard of malfs with new Gen 4 G17s elsewhere.  Pity because I love the new frame (finally fits my hand).  Decided to wait for a Gen 4 G19 instead.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
On GT forum they are talking about the Gen4 G17 being recall due to the recoil spring and rod.

They guy that said that over there said it was the store's doing and not anything official from glock apparently.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 5:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I've already shot 200 rounds out of my G17Gen4 and only had 2 stove pipes...when my wife was shooting it.

But when I shoot it, it's been flawless.  As long as the next 100 rounds no longer has issues, it sounds like your Glock should be good to go.

I'm glad I picked mine up and not wait a year "until it has been fully tested"...because I'm testing it now.

The worst that Glock can do is do a recall and get me a new Glock...which I don't mind.  

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I am going to take it out again this weekend and I'll let you know what happens.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Damn, hopefully this isn't another report, of many, regarding issues with gen4G17s.  Hopefully yours does finally "break-in" and run correctly.

I myself always allow an autopistol a break-in period, Glock or no Glock, 200-300 rnds.  If it's not running right by then, it's time to investigate the problem.

Obviously try other types of ammo, there are reports that these gen4G17 are a bit "over-sprung", in that yes, they do use the same recoil spring setup as the gen4G22 (yes, .40), and may run better with hotter ammo.

Best of luck to ya.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Vini... yeah I'm hoping all pans out well too. I must admit that I'm already not much of a glock fan through previous experience, but only in terms of how they felt in my hand when I shot them. This one was different with the different grip though and my first personal experience with my own property. Damn shame, BUT I'm not going to let it be the end all say in how this ends. I'm definitely not going to carry it for now. Got another pistol for that. But we'll put another hundred or two down it's throat and find out.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 7:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The Gen4 G17s have a double recoil spring?  A buddy of mine got a Gen4 G17 a few days ago and I showed him how to clean it.  It has the same single recoil spring as my Gen3 G17.

EDIT:  I was thinking the RTF was considered Gen4, it's not?  Link below it the G17 he got.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/glock-17-rtf-9mm-black-rough-textured-frame.html
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The Gen4 G17s have a double recoil spring?  A buddy of mine got a Gen4 G17 a few days ago and I showed him how to clean it.  It has the same single recoil spring as my Gen3 G17.

EDIT:  I was thinking the RTF was considered Gen4, it's not?  Link below it the G17 he got.
http://www.topgunsupply.com/glock-17-rtf-9mm-black-rough-textured-frame.html

Nope... here's a gen 4 except it's a 22... but whatever... pretty much the same differences.
gen 4 on Firearm Blog
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Just clean it up nicely, get that gold "lube" off of it, and put a few drops of oil on the new spring.

It will run just fine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Not happy to hear this, I picked one up yesterday. I plan on using it for security work here, as I can only carry a 9mm or .38 special on duty. I'm going to fire it sometime in the next week or so. I ccw a M&P9c, and went with this over the M&P9 fullsize (I had one a year ago but sold it).

I really like the grip and mag release, ive only had M&P's so this is my first glock. I got it for $398 with the three 17rd mags and straps. I'm looking for a right handed level 2 or 3 holster, anyone have any recommendations?
Link Posted: 3/31/2010 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Safariland 6280 or the ALS series holsters are nice.

Regardless, im sure your Gen 4 will work great.  I and many others have had great experiences with them.  Give it a good cleaning, lube it up, and put 2-300 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 8:02:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not happy to hear this, I picked one up yesterday. I plan on using it for security work here, as I can only carry a 9mm or .38 special on duty. I'm going to fire it sometime in the next week or so. I ccw a M&P9c, and went with this over the M&P9 fullsize (I had one a year ago but sold it).

I really like the grip and mag release, ive only had M&P's so this is my first glock. I got it for $398 with the three 17rd mags and straps. I'm looking for a right handed level 2 or 3 holster, anyone have any recommendations?

blackhawk SERPA, i dig'em.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And due to the design, using the release mechanism improperly can lead to an AD by letting your finger slip into the trigger.

Not to mention a small pebble can lock up the release so tight that you need to cut the gun out...

Look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought one a few weeks ago and it's been working perfectly.   I cleaned it and took it to range.  Fired 100 rounds each of WWB, Federal Champion, Wolf, American Eagle, and CCI  Blazer with no problems what so ever.  Maybe I got a good one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And due to the design, using the release mechanism improperly can lead to an AD by letting your finger slip into the trigger.

Not to mention a small pebble can lock up the release so tight that you need to cut the gun out...

Look elsewhere.

This again? If a holster can "lead" you to an ND then you have poor discipline. The design of the serpa purposely positions your trigger finger alongside the frame when drawn, where it should be. Whatever you do with your finger after the draw is all on you. And I have heard numerous field reports on here from folks across the pond completely satisfied with the Serpa. I am sure you can find someone willing to say their holster was locked up by a small pebble, but I believe that this is the extremely rare exception. I think for the intended use of the poster he'd have as much chance getting struck by lightning or falling into a vat of superglue causing his holster to fail.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 6:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My Gen4 G17 required some break in. I had two failures to eject in the first hundred rounds, but it has functioned fine since. I only have 600 rounds through it to date though.
Link Posted: 4/1/2010 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:23:29 AM EDT
[#23]
spoke to glock about gen 4 17: they admit the spring needs to be broken  in and also that the spring is indeed oversprung for typical plinking ammo but sprung correctly for full-power combat loads. any problems with full-power loads should be a gun that's out of spec and they said they will gladly look at any malfunctioning gun.
As for me I now have 3500 rounds ( I just finished a 2 day pistol class with 1600 rounds and no malfunctions with WWB).  My only malfunction was round # 2 which failed to feed and no other problems since.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#24]
God I'm glad I bought an RTF instead...........
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I miss the days when any 9mm Glock ran 100% right out of the box.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm very glad I bought a Gen 4 G17 and G22. Best damn Glocks I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just about sums up my feelings toward my Gen4 G17.
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 9:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I miss the days when any 9mm Glock ran 100% right out of the box.  

My Gen4 has run 100% out of the box.  Gotta love that Glock perfection.

Link Posted: 4/2/2010 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I was reading this and my eyes got big there for a minute. It truly sounds to me that there is some improper holds on the weapon. I am a department armorer and trainer for about 14 years now. I have seen glocks that over time have had some issues, this though was after thousands of rounds of ammo. There also was some serious issues with the way they were treated and cleaned. I am very curious to hear if you have had anymore problems with this gen 4 17. I carry and now issue out the 22 in gen 4 and right out of the box shooting WWB 180grain without a problem. I hope you get this corrected soon partner. Best wishes......Tom
Link Posted: 4/2/2010 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was reading this and my eyes got big there for a minute. It truly sounds to me that there is some improper holds on the weapon. I am a department armorer and trainer for about 14 years now. I have seen glocks that over time have had some issues, this though was after thousands of rounds of ammo. There also was some serious issues with the way they were treated and cleaned. I am very curious to hear if you have had anymore problems with this gen 4 17. I carry and now issue out the 22 in gen 4 and right out of the box shooting WWB 180grain without a problem. I hope you get this corrected soon partner. Best wishes......Tom

Hey thanks Tom,

We'll find out tomorrow. I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 4:38:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2010 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Same here.  I picked up a Glock 17, Gen 4 at the last gun show and it is awesome.  I have not had any problems with mine so far at the range and the smaller grip is exactly what I've been waiting for.  That and I'm left handed, so having a bigger magazine release button is great.  I will not be switching the magazine release around as I train both weak and strong hand.

Link Posted: 4/3/2010 8:02:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yeah I went my local Academy and took a look at the Gen 3 G17 and Gen 4 G22 just for physical purposes.... I love the new Gen 4's look and especially feel. RTF for the WIN!
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, I went out yesterday and put about 300 rounds downrange and it functioned flawlessly. Well it did fail to lock the slide back on empty once. Before going, I stripped it down and put a light amount of oil in the recomended places as well as on the spring. I guess that did the trick, as well as cycling and dry firing it a bunch over the last week.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#35]
I just bought one this weekend before I read this thread. Hope mine works out of the box

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Good deal Prionic.  Sounds like it's running alot better.

Did you run different ammo through it?
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Good deal Prionic.  Sounds like it's running alot better.

Did you run different ammo through it?

Yeah, I ran a bunch of the previously listed stuff and 4 other kinds as well. Worked quite well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2010 11:13:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Good deal.
Link Posted: 4/7/2010 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I went my local Academy and took a look at the Gen 3 G17 and Gen 4 G22 just for physical purposes.... I love the new Gen 4's look and especially feel. RTF for the WIN!

I am confused. Is the 17 RTF the Gen 3 or Gen 4?

Sorry, I am new to Glocks!  ....and I bought an RTF but can't pick it up for 9 more days
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 12:09:39 AM EDT
[#40]
The RTF is the Generation 3 Glock. The RTF 2 is the Generation 3 Glock. There is a new texture on the Gen 4, I think it's the RTF 3.

Rough Texture Frame = Generation 2 and 3 Glock texture (the gen 1s had very little 'texture')

Rough Texture Frame 2 = Generation 3 Glocks that were recently released, but NOT Generation 4. Very aggressive, from most reports.

Rough Texture Frame 3 = Generation 4 texture. Similar to RTF2, but less aggressive.

The RTF is not a Gen 4.

I may be wrong about the designations, but the RTF or RTF2 are not Gen 4 Glocks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:12:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 12:07:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So about a week and a half ago I picked up a gen4 G17 after having shot one for a short while and figured I'd give it a shot. Took it to the range the following Saturday and MAN was I dissapointed. I put about 150 -160 rounds through it before I gave up. I had MULTIPLE malfunctions. The were ALL extraction/ejection related.

...which is to be expected on a gun that is sprung with a stiff dual-captured spring designed to make the .40 caliber gen 4 Glock reliable.

The Gen 4 G17 as it currently stands is NOT LIKELY TO RUN RELIABLY WITH MOST 9MM FMJ AMMO. Glock is supposedly considering a new dedicated 9mm spring for the G4 guns to resolve this, but nobody knows when that will arrive.

Had your practice session been with +P or NATO equivalent ammo it's likely you would not have experienced as many malfunctions. In general 9mm Glocks have always run best with +P ammo.

Right now if you want a 9mm that has a good chance of running out of the box, stick to a G3 gun.

It seems to be a break in issue. Once it has been dry cycled many times or otherwise properly broken in, they seem to run fine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2010 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 1:29:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Well it took them 15 years but it seems they may have finally fixed the .40s. S&W had it down with the M&P in, what, 4 or 5 years, for all models? Not to say they didn't fuck up prior, as they obviously did.

And I'm not saying that most .40 Glocks aren't reliable, just that some were not and more could have been done about it.

I guess this is good news.

On a secondary note, I thought the Gen3 Glock 9/40 had the same recoil spring assemblies. Am I mistaken? I thought the M&Ps were the same case, too.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 4:47:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

The Gen 4 G17 as it currently stands is NOT LIKELY TO RUN RELIABLY WITH MOST 9MM FMJ AMMO. Glock is supposedly considering a new dedicated 9mm spring for the G4 guns to resolve this, but nobody knows when that will arrive.

I believe this to be more the exception than the rule and most who have had issues claim they have gotten better with more shooting.

I do think Glock should have included a second spring with the pistol to accomodate lighter loads.
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/15/2010 5:54:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Use some NATO ammo. This gun was designed to handle full power 9mm rounds from Europe which is usually submachine gun pressures. Our American 9mm rounds are sometimes a little on the weak side when compared to the Europeans. Go to Walmart and try 2 boxes of that RWS 9mm rounds that they sell then let us know how it turns out. Those are European rounds that are loaded a little on the higher pressure side. And store your gun locked back for a few days to loosen up the springs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top